Painting interior trim

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I have seen that a few people on here have wrapped their trim pieces with vinyl but has anyone sanded them down and painted them yet? I have heard that on the black widow f150s they sand everything down and paint it a glossy black. I was thinking about doing that and then possibly painting the air vent trim pieces in lighting blue to give it just a little bit of color on the inside. I am not a fan of the silver trim and passenger dash. Does anyone else have any ideas?
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
If you go the route of re-painting some trim, I'd use a maroon 3M scuff pad and just scuff them up--no sense in sanding since the factory was kind enough to pre-paint them. Just use a regular primer, paint and clear with a 2K clear. I repainted my grille with primer, paint and clear from R&E Paint supply. Their N6 (Lightning Blue...they had it listed as Blue Lightning) is a perfect match. I'm waiting for warmer weather to paint my side vents from Air Design/Ford with the same paint. And I have also considered painting some of the interior trim too. Make sure you post pics if you do this :like:

OP
OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
If you go the route of re-painting some trim, I'd use a maroon 3M scuff pad and just scuff them up--no sense in sanding since the factory was kind enough to pre-paint them. Just use a regular primer, paint and clear with a 2K clear. I repainted my grille with primer, paint and clear from R&E Paint supply. Their N6 (Lightning Blue...they had it listed as Blue Lightning) is a perfect match. I'm waiting for warmer weather to paint my side vents from Air Design/Ford with the same paint. And I have also considered painting some of the interior trim too. Make sure you post pics if you do this :like:
Thanks for the information! I will definitely post pictures if I decide to go this route.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
The first step is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! You do not want fish eyes ruining this event. Clean with alcohol and then glass cleaner and since thoroughly. NO solvents. Having painted many interior pieces and from trial and error, the least evasive way to prep these parts and to avoid sand scratch swelling, is to use a purpose made scuff paste or as a substitute you can use a common household cleanser like Comet or Bar Keepers friend and a gray or white Scotcbrite pad with plenty of warm water. My experience is that the maroon pad will leave scratch marks. Next step, use an adhesion promoter and then your base and clear. You only want to do this once. so take your time and keep it clean.
Sponsored