P0751 PCM error popped up

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
This error code popped up on my truck recently :frown:. The transmission will not go into gear no matter what gear shift selection. Revs like it is in neutral. I looked through some of the threads here to see if others had this problem as well. Some had something similar but with different fault codes and other error lights on their dash.

Thankfully when it first happened yesterday afternoon I was at a stop sign less than a mile from home. It went back in gear after a moment for me to limp the rest of the way home. Now this morning it does not even want to leave the driveway.

Talked to my local dealer already and they have an appointment to look at it this afternoon. Hoping something sorta simple like a bad actuator to be swapped out. I already had an appointment early next week for them to look at the tail light connector recall. Go figure this happens now.

The tow company showed up in less than half an hour after I called Ford's Roadside Assistance. Happy about that. Though I told them I was in no hurry and if someone was on the side of the road they are in more need than I am. Seems the corona virus has slowed their business down for the time being.

Is a sad sight seeing your truck being driven away on a flatbed. My truck is low mileage and been a great truck to have. Not given me any troubles so far up to this point. No rough shifting like some have experienced. Will let you know what the dealer says. Any others with a truck issue close to this?

----
Added an update.

Just got a call from the dealer a few hours later. Seems like it was a valve body in the transmission that was sticking. They have a new one on order and my truck should be good to go in a couple days. :like:
Sponsored

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Glad they got it figured out - it sucks, but things like that happen. One of my prior Rangers, a 2003? maybe? Anyway, it decided to put itself into 4 low while it was sitting in the driveway overnight. I thought I might be able to limp it to the dealer, but I took off down the road and I was going about 10, and the speedo said something like 70. :) I turned around and parked it and called Fords Roadside assistance. It was some sort of electrical actuator that had gone wonky - just the nature of electrical gadgets. The weird part was that it did it by itself overnight.

Hope you get your truck back soon.

OP
OP

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Thanks, @RedlandRanger . I'm glad it is something easy to fix. I understand that when things are massed produced that sometimes parts need to be replaced. I realize it is a part that Ford has sourced out to be made. If it became a regular occurrence then I would start to become concerned.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your older Ranger. Odd that it happened while the vehicle was off.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Looks like this happened to me yesterday. Gotta call them today but was towing at the time about 90 miles from home. Managed to get it here but it was very stressful whenever I had to stop as I was afraid that I’d be stuck with 4500lb attached. I’ll post and let y’all know but a truck with a little over 2000 miles on it shouldn’t do this. Was fearful I was going to back into someone because I’d let off the brake and the revs would go up and the car would slowly roll backwards like it was in neutral.
Sponsored