Or strut stud broke off

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F250 Platinum 57 Chevy 3800 96 F150 20 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
While torquing level kit to top of strut a or strut stud broke. Can I disassemble and replace the broken stud or do I have to replace entire strut?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Duwop

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Are you speaking from experience

OP
OP
Duwop

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
how did that happen?
I havent seen those studs...not sure if they are press fit, welded, or tapped....but anything is fixable, with time and money
While torquing level kit to strut mount stud just broke off

OP
OP
Duwop

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
FF4422F8-B6AF-44C3-AFD8-49CBDA5D9E66.jpeg

Here is a pic

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Are you speaking from experience
I would think, even if its possible, it would be a nightmare job to take a strut apart...I'd rather spend the money on a new one knowing I am good to go!

OP
OP
Duwop

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Looks like I need a spring compressor to remove/relieve pressure from top mount remove strut bolt top comes off and should be able to press new stud in and reassemble

OP
OP
Duwop

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So Ford says you can’t replace just the stud you need to replace the upper mount which costs $92 and change. So I’ve got it on order even though I don’t see why you can’t replace a stud but then I’m no engineer. Just a simple delay

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So Ford says you can’t replace just the stud you need to replace the upper mount which costs $92 and change. So I’ve got it on order even though I don’t see why you can’t replace a stud but then I’m no engineer. Just a simple delay
Hi Duwop,

I think it has to do with part inventory and loose studs are likely at the supplier that makes the part for Ford....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
It's a pressed in bolt, you need to compress the spring, and only then remove the center top nut, put the compressed string aside, change the bolt (may need some serious hammering) and then you put everything back. Or order a new top plate, it should come with bolts.
What torque did you try to set it at? Is the spacer that you wanted to install an aluminum billet?

It's definitely not advisable to mount it with only two bolts, but in practice it would work until you solve the issue if you do not drive it a lot and you don't want to keep it on jacks either. The broken bolt will keep the spacer in place, from the looks of it, while the other two will fix it down. There is not much lateral force anyway on these struts, mostly up and down and there it has no place to go.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I can see why factory says to replace. Removing pressed in studs is not the easiest thing to do. Putting in a new one presents its own set of issues. Then comes liability for allowing someone to do it.

Anything is possible if you think it through and use the right materials. I would think they’re grade 8 minimum on those studs. Good luck finding one too.

at this point it’s probably best to replace it like you’re saying.

I know on an F150 it’s like 46 ft lbs on those studs using nylock flange nuts.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
FF4422F8-B6AF-44C3-AFD8-49CBDA5D9E66.jpeg

Here is a pic
isn't that part of the upper strut mount? cant totally tell from the pic..if so you should be able to just replace that..good luck finding on such a new model with the assembly lines still having supply issues..the local parts dept stealership should be able to order though you will probably be limping once the hit you with the price..
o_O

just thinking maybe try a NAPA or similar for a [bolt] replacement, you might need to remove the others and slip one in & bolt it before bolting into place...just a thought. gotta be creative to get you up and running again..

OP
OP
Duwop

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi Duwop,

I think it has to do with part inventory and loose studs are likely at the supplier that makes the part for Ford....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
that’s my thought thanks though, are the upper control arm different on 2wd I’m asking because when pulling down to mate up with the steering knuckle it’s not coming down enough to start knuckle nut?

OP
OP
Duwop

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's a pressed in bolt, you need to compress the spring, and only then remove the center top nut, put the compressed string aside, change the bolt (may need some serious hammering) and then you put everything back. Or order a new top plate, it should come with bolts.
What torque did you try to set it at? Is the spacer that you wanted to install an aluminum billet?

It's definitely not advisable to mount it with only two bolts, but in practice it would work until you solve the issue if you do not drive it a lot and you don't want to keep it on jacks either. The broken bolt will keep the spacer in place, from the looks of it, while the other two will fix it down. There is not much lateral force anyway on these struts, mostly up and down and there it has no place to go.
Yep a thanks I got that
Sponsored