zachattack54

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Hey gang,

Just did my first tow with a XLT sport crew cab 4x4 Tow package and I got a few questions.

My trailer is Forest River 17BH gross weight 3200lbs travel trailer FYI.

Power and drive train wise the truck feels great and never felt it was lacking in this department. The Tow Mode does a really good job with keeping the truck in the power band and I liked how much the truck downshifted when coming to a stop.

One thing I noticed on my first test tow that around 60MPH I would start to experience a little sway(sway control never kicked in on the truck). To combat this I added a Reese Friction Sway Bar to my curt Weight Distribution hitch and that most definitely helped. The truck tracks straight and the trailer absolutely has less effect on the handling characteristics of the truck, but I can feel some squirming on the rear axle going 60 MPH+. Maybe its the parabolic leaf spring? Just feels like the rear end is constantly shifting side to side.

I did some googling and I couldn't find any add a leaf kits or helper bag kits for 2019 rangers. I think my tow set up is real close just wanted to firm up the rear end of this truck just for some added confidence while towing.

I'll try to add some pics of my tow set-up tonight. Really happy with everything besides the squirming.... Also coming from a 2011 titan with Firestone Airbags(only had 10psi while towing)... Might be asking a lot of this truck to feel like my last set up. Just wondering if you guys had any Ideas.

Zach
Sponsored

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Hey gang,

Just did my first tow with a XLT sport crew cab 4x4 Tow package and I got a few questions.

Power and drive train wise the truck feels great and never felt it was lacking in this department. The Tow Mode does a really good job with keeping the truck in the power band and I liked how much the truck downshifted when coming to a stop.

One thing I noticed on my first test tow that around 60MPH I would start to experience a little sway(sway control never kicked in on the truck). To combat this I added a Reese Friction Sway Bar to my curt Weight Distribution hitch and that most definitely helped. The truck tracks straight and the trailer absolutely has less effect on the handling characteristics of the truck, but I can feel some squirming on the rear axle going 60 MPH+. Maybe its the parabolic leaf spring? Just feels like the rear end is constantly shifting side to side.

I did some googling and I couldn't find any add a leaf kits or helper bag kits for 2019 rangers. I think my tow set up is real close just wanted to firm up the rear end of this truck just for some added confidence while towing.

I'll try to add some pics of my tow set-up tonight. Really happy with everything besides the squirming.... Also coming from a 2011 titan with Firestone Airbags(only had 10psi while towing)... Might be asking a lot of this truck to feel like my last set up. Just wondering if you guys had any Ideas.

Zach
sounds like you need more tongue weight. I am thinking a larger drop in the hitch . . . But I have not towed yet :)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I second the tongue weight. I have the 207BH and it is solid as a rock at speeds approaching 70MPH. I haven't gone faster than that (no need to). But for what it's worth, try having the tongue weight checked, and go from there. I'd actually recommend going a little heavier than 10% in this truck with a small trailer like that.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I wonder if it might have something to do with your weight distribution hitch. I have seen in a Mr Truck video and in several other different sources that say a weight distribution hitch is not needed with the (North American) 2019 Ford Ranger. That they passed all the appropriate tests without it.

About 11:15 in the video Keith Erickson of Ranger Engineering Manager says it not required but recommended for anything over 5000 lbs to add overall stability. Since you are towing around 3200lbs I wonder if it is making a difference since another mentioned your tongue weight.

I am not a skilled tower and just posing the question about hitches so I can learn. Also, how do you tell when sway control kicks in? Since you said yours did not. Is there a light in the dash that comes on? I just got my truck this evening and there is much to learn.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I had a similar problem with mine towing a car trailer. I ordered a larger drop hitch for my WD hitch in hopes that it’ll help.
Hellwig is supposed to be releasing a sway bar for the rear of the truck and I imagine that’ll help you out a lot

OP
OP
zachattack54

zachattack54

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Thanks for the reply guys. I think my tongue weight is good. I have the trailer level with the hitch, two 6 volt batteries, 30lb propane and the majority of storage items at the front of the trailer. Only thing that could increase my tongue weight is too fill my fresh water tank(located front end of trailer) which would bring me close to over GVWR or lower my hitch which would make my trailer sit nose heavy.

The next step I need to do is test it without WD and Sway control. Take it to a weigh scale to find accurate tongue weight and to try hauling with water on the trailer.

Let ya know what I find out.

I attached some pics of my set up. Let me know what ya think.

20190621_161432.jpg

20190621_161407.jpg

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I had air bladders on my 97, aired them up when I pulled my trailer and they made a big difference.
I think I got them from JC Whitney and they were manufactured by Firestone.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
It also could be the tires. Not much sidewall plies to the Hankooks or the Bridgestones. I've been looking at going going to a bigger tire with more sidewall for towing.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you re-setup your bars from your prior vehicle? They look like they are bending quite a bit which means they are transferring weight to the front axle. Don't take me the wrong way, I'm just trying to help out.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'll second that thought of the too tight WD bars.. Most people don't realize a weight distributing hitch can put a lot of the tow vehicle weight onto the trailer axles when distributing the wight on to the tow vehicle front tires.. That may be why the rear of the truck feels squirmy, too little weight on the rear. No need to have them tight for a 3200 lb trailer.

OP
OP
zachattack54

zachattack54

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I'll second that thought of the too tight WD bars.. Most people don't realize a weight distributing hitch can put a lot of the tow vehicle weight onto the trailer axles when distributing the wight on to the tow vehicle front tires.. That may be why the rear of the truck feels squirmy, too little weight on the rear. No need to have them tight for a 3200 lb trailer.
I added a new shank for increased drop on the hitch with the ranger. Very good point on them being too tight. Ill take some tension off. The pick is with 5 links of WD bars and that causes them to bend a bit. 4 links and it sits pretty much level with the trailer tongue. That should load up the rear of the truck more.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m pretty sure I can put my bars on without the tool as I’m in the lowest hole on the trailer pieces that capture the bars. I drove it around for a bit, and it didn’t feel squirmy at all. My prior tow rig was a Jeep Liberty though, so I could just be jaded.

DentonB

First Name
Denton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2019 Ram 4x4 Cummins), 2015 Audi A3 convertible
The OEM tires leave a bit to be desired with sidewall strength.

OP
OP
zachattack54

zachattack54

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
The OEM tires leave a bit to be desired with sidewall strength.
They are definitely on the list to replace. Just waiting till closer to winter and get a real good set of all weather tires.(brrrrr canada). Spread out the purchases a bit.

Deleted member 773

Hey gang,

Zach
Talked with Hellwig this morning, they will be releasing the rear sway bar very soon, followed by an airbag setup, and then finally an upgraded front sway bar. I’d recommend the sway bar for towing, along with double checking tongue weight. I tow a lot with other trucks and the upgraded sway bar does wonders to firm up the rear. As you know, bags take the firmness up and allow you to level the truck and get its geometry back.
Sponsored