First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Who makes best hard tri fold tonneau cover ? Comparing minimal leaks, ease of use, and price and what vendor to purchase from. Thanks all
Sponsored

jsiedle1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
Who makes best hard tri fold tonneau cover ? Comparing minimal leaks, ease of use, and price and what vendor to purchase from. Thanks all
Tonneau Factory Direct will discount a Bakflip MX4 down to $820. I went with it for it's good ratings but not expecting it to last the life of the truck. I went through a car wash yesterday and a minimal amount of water got in. No hard cover will be absolutely waterproof. It's not a very complicated install and will secure your belongings and gives you flexibility to close the tailgate with the cover down. A few of us on here went with the MX4.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I went with the Ford cover which I got from the dealer for $860. I understand they are made by BAK and are similar to the Bakflip covers. One disadvantage is that you must close the tailgate first before closing the cover. As jsiedle1 said, they will all leak to some degree. Due to the large gaps along the sides and bottom of the tailgate, you will get lots of dust if you drive dusty roads and possible some water as it swirls around the tailgate no matter what cover you use.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the same Bak G2 since 2010. Had it on my 2010 Ram and moved it over to my 2013 Ram when I bought it. It sat outside for 3 yrs in the HOT TX sun and a year in Denver CO while I attended gunsmithing school, but has been garaged since 2014. No issues with leaks....maybe a few drops (less than a teaspoon) when I take it through the car wash. Had to replace the front seal (~$10) about 2 yrs ago. No complaints. I bought it from Bak. The paint is a little faded, but for being 9 yrs old, I think it still looks pretty good.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the BakFlip MX4 and love it. The ability to open and close the tailgate with the cover closed was the key for me.

Ranger-2.jpg

BedLights-4.jpg

OP
OP
Cape Cruiser

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Thanks for all the info guys! Looks like the bakflip mx4 should be good for me.Thanks again , Bret

Fast11970

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2017 2500 , 2013 FXSB, 2012 FXDF, 1989 FLSTC, 1970 FLH.
I got a Gator tri fold on Amazon for about 300.00 had it on a month thru lots of rain- really no issues. Easy on, easy to fold,

Gator Tri-Fold (fits) 2019 Ford Ranger 5 FT Bed Only Truck Bed Tonneau Cover Made in The USA 59317
by Gator

Be the first to review this item

Was: $274.56
Price: $231.27

Bmoose

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sport Trac
I have the BakFlip MX4 and love it. The ability to open and close the tailgate with the cover closed was the key for me.

Ranger-2.jpg

BedLights-4.jpg
Is that a separate rubber bed mat in addition to the spray on liner? Aftermarket or included? Does the BakFlip MX4 lock closed/open?

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a separate rubber bed mat in addition to the spray on liner? Aftermarket or included? Does the BakFlip MX4 lock closed/open?
That is the factory spray in liner with the Ford accessory Ranger rubber bed mat on top. I wanted a little extra cushion in the bed. The BakFlip MX4 has clips at each pivot point that lock into the side rail frame to keep it secured at each point. When the cover is fully closed and the tailgate closed and locked, you have secure storage.

Squaretail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sante Fe
I am wondering if anyone has been able to find an off-brand like Rixxu ( or similar) that fits our 2019 Rangers. This looks almost identical to the Extang 2.0 but half the cost.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering if anyone has been able to find an off-brand like Rixxu ( or similar) that fits our 2019 Rangers. This looks almost identical to the Extang 2.0 but half the cost.
I'd definitely check out any and all reviews before purchasing it....there's a reason it's half the price, just need to find out why.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd definitely check out any and all reviews before purchasing it....there's a reason it's half the price, just need to find out why.
I might be half the price due to the makeup of the hard folding panels. The more expensive ones tend to handle more weight on top of the cover and have better materials in the construction as well as a longer warranty. I had a Gator hard folding tonneau cover on my F-150. New it was still $700.

Bmoose

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sport Trac
That is the factory spray in liner with the Ford accessory Ranger rubber bed mat on top. I wanted a little extra cushion in the bed. The BakFlip MX4 has clips at each pivot point that lock into the side rail frame to keep it secured at each point. When the cover is fully closed and the tailgate closed and locked, you have secure storage.
Been gone for awhile...... Thanks for that info. I too like the additional cushion for the bed. I will be adding that to my wish list. Having everything locked and secure in back is important too. Happy trails!

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I’m leaning toward the Bakflip MX4. I like the look and the functionality. I’m a desk jockey with limited tool time experience. I was gonna order the cover with my pavement princess 4X2, but the salesman told me it would delay delivery, (really? cuz, I placed my order 11/13 and delivery is still over 3 weeks out). Now, I’m faced with tackling the cover installation myself or finding a shop that will do it. I don’t wanna to screw up my ride.

Any thoughts about the Bakflip and/or installation?

OP
OP
Cape Cruiser

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Im thinking Bakflip mx4 also. Tonneaucovered.com has them for 839.99 right now. Not sure if I will order soon as my truck is still a long way out.
Sponsored