Opinion on stock Dynapro 18” including snow use

Johnner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Just curios what people’s opinions are on the stock Hankook 265/60-18 are? Not expecting snow grip and safety. But are they good or omg what did I do wrong moment ha.

don’t really want to replace them. But looking at Revo3 or Goodyear Duratrac in STOCK size ☺

any insight would be great.
Sponsored

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
I had them on a previous truck of mine (1999 Dodge Ram 1/2 Ton 4x4), they did pretty well from what I remember. I deal with the Bridgestone A/T Revo 2's on a daily basis and I'm not personally impressed by them and the Revo 3's look even less aggressive. Would definitely lean towards Duratracs if you're going to bite the bullet.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I'm going to find out soon. Snow is going to happen sooner rather than later here.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Worked great in the first two snow storms here.

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
Didn't have any issues last march in the last 2- 3 snowfalls of the year here. I decided to get 255/70/R16 coopers for the full winter season this year. I was happy with their performance in minimal snow conditions, just not so sure i'd want them on there in the 2 foot + snowfall needing to get to work before the road is plowed with lots of ice underneath.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Just curios what people’s opinions are on the stock Hankook 265/60-18 are? Not expecting snow grip and safety. But are they good or omg what did I do wrong moment ha.

don’t really want to replace them. But looking at Revo3 or Goodyear Duratrac in STOCK size ☺

any insight would be great.
When we traded in my '02 Tacoma on the new Ranger the Tacoma had Hankook Dynapro ATM's on it, they had about 57,000 miles on them and they worked great in the snow and ice. We live in central Colorado... so we know.

2002 Tacoma Detailed May 2017 LF.jpg

Deleted member 1634

I'm in the same boat. Wondering if the Hankooks are good in the snow. From other people on here it sounds like they're acceptable. They're not the best, but they're not like racing slick either. Gotta investigate your sources too. Someone who lives in a place that doesn't get much snow has a different idea of what a good winter tire is than someone who has 8+ months of cold snowy icy winter. I usually look for the mountain people, NE, Great Lakes, and Canadians for good winter advice.
Personally, I plan on running this winter with no changes at all, just to get a good baseline. Then change accordingly for the following winters. I have a feeling they'll be acceptable, but I won't feel that confidence I felt driving my Subaru w/ snow tires (which was unstoppable). I too am considering the Duratracs. My brother had them on his 2nd gen Ranger and couldn't recommend them more.

OP
OP

Johnner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
I'm in the same boat. Wondering if the Hankooks are good in the snow. From other people on here it sounds like they're acceptable. They're not the best, but they're not like racing slick either. Gotta investigate your sources too. Someone who lives in a place that doesn't get much snow has a different idea of what a good winter tire is than someone who has 8+ months of cold snowy icy winter. I usually look for the mountain people, NE, Great Lakes, and Canadians for good winter advice.
Personally, I plan on running this winter with no changes at all, just to get a good baseline. Then change accordingly for the following winters. I have a feeling they'll be acceptable, but I won't feel that confidence I felt driving my Subaru w/ snow tires (which was unstoppable). I too am considering the Duratracs. My brother had them on his 2nd gen Ranger and couldn't recommend them more.

Yeah I may just hold off since it’s already November and snow may come early ha.

I’d buy the the Goodyear’s this week, but my concern is noise, stiffer ride, and drop in mpg. I know I know - not trying to be that guy.

thanks everyone

G’sgt350

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2016 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The stock tire is just ok for snow and ice, I had planned to use them this winter but we’ve already had a couple snow storms here in Alberta this year and they aren’t great on ice. I drive on a highway daily that’s prone to black ice so I went with studded winters. Couldn’t be happier - got the Nokian Hakkapiliitta 9 on the recommendation of a buddy that has them on his Raptor.

Deleted member 1634

Yeah I may just hold off since it’s already November and snow may come early ha.

I’d buy the the Goodyear’s this week, but my concern is noise, stiffer ride, and drop in mpg. I know I know - not trying to be that guy.

thanks everyone
I'm definitely with you on the noise and mpg concerns. Those are some of the bigger things that set this truck apart from the competition in my opinion. So I'd hate to ruin them. I also have concerns about the wear with a chunkier tire as well, especially since we still do a fair amount of long distance freeway driving throughout the year. But a lot of reviews, in the same boat as us, are saying they are getting over 100,000 miles on the Duratracs, which is pretty darn nice. So I guess in the end, you're not the only one being that guy. haha

Deleted member 1634

The stock tire is just ok for snow and ice, I had planned to use them this winter but we’ve already had a couple snow storms here in Alberta this year and they aren’t great on ice. I drive on a highway daily that’s prone to black ice so I went with studded winters. Couldn’t be happier - got the Nokian Hakkapiliitta 9 on the recommendation of a buddy that has them on his Raptor.
Yeah, I had a feeling they'd do alright in the snow, but not that great on the ice, which is my bigger concern in regards to winter driving. I know what to expect with snow, but ice always sneaks up on you, which is not good. So maybe I will end up switching out once winter starts ramping up and I find myself in more pickles than I'm comfortable with. Unfortunately for us, at least in Minnesota here, studded tires are illegal, so we'll have to go the standard route.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Why not go for a set of winter tires if you're concerned about winter season performance. I had a set of Goodyear Winterforce on a separate set of wheels, for a Fiesta ST I owned. Those turned that car into a literal snowmobile!

Deleted member 1634

Why not go for a set of winter tires if you're concerned about winter season performance. I had a set of Goodyear Winterforce on a separate set of wheels, for a Fiesta ST I owned. Those turned that car into a literal snowmobile!
That is certainly something I've considered and is still on the table as an option. Every vehicle I've had before this had a dedicated set of snow tires. So I'm well acquainted with the magic they can perform. I just get the feeling that a truck should be capable enough all the time and not need dedicated equipment for each individual situation. This feeling isn't really founded on anything and I'll admit is quite stupid. So maybe I will just go the route of snow tires. Who knows anymore. haha In the end, everytime someone comes up with a different solution, I think that's better than what I was previously thinking, so I'm all over the map with what I want to do now. haha

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That is certainly something I've considered and is still on the table as an option. Every vehicle I've had before this had a dedicated set of snow tires. So I'm well acquainted with the magic they can perform. I just get the feeling that a truck should be capable enough all the time and not need dedicated equipment for each individual situation. This feeling isn't really founded on anything and I'll admit is quite stupid. So maybe I will just go the route of snow tires.
It's not possible: tires that perform well on ice die fast if the temp is above freezing. 4wd might get you moving, but there's no magic in the world that can make the wrong tires stop.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
It's not possible: tires that perform well on ice die fast if the temp is above freezing. 4wd might get you moving, but there's no magic in the world that can make the wrong tires stop.
Hence having two separate set of tires or wheels and tires. Swap to your summer set above 40f and vise versa.
Sponsored