Old Man EMU

kevstaarr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX FX4
I'm assuming the fronts don't come assembled already, right? If not, did you reuse your OEM upper mounts for the front?
Sponsored

KVOFTN

First Name
KEVIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EDGE RANGER COMING SOON
Reading through this thread I’m still a bit confused...

For context, I think I’m looking for a fairly level setup with just a bit more ground clearance so maybe 2” up front and 0-1” in back?

My priorities are increasing ground clearance with articulation and improved on road handling. I don’t r
pty (Or filled with camping gear and canoes and stuff, nothing heavy.)

This is my .02 cents and I am not an expert. I went with EIBACH 2.0 pro upfront and EIBACH pro rear shocks. I also got the standard OME rear spring setup. I went with the 2.0 Eibach as I thought I could adjust them up to get the ride height leveled with the OME rear spring. With the height add of the rear spring the Eibach was unable to level the front and in fact did not lift it any more even after cranking the preload.

After install of the rear springs I developed a drive line vibration and I was unable to figure out how to fix before My trip out west so we put the stock springs back in. After having both in with the new shocks the ride quality of the OME's is amazing and I will put them back in.

IN the end I would recommend the OME standard kit. If one wanted I think you could the spacers for the front Struts that BDS uses in their 3.5 kit. I may still do this so I can level the front more.

I also change my upper control arms as I intended to lift the front more.

I wonder what the spring rate is on the OME heavy kit if that would level the front more with rear.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Correct. I had to reuse the upper mou ts fornthe front. A slight pain but not to bad.
I'm assuming the fronts don't come assembled already, right? If not, did you reuse your OEM upper mounts for the front?
Thankfully I have access to the necessary tools to get the job done. If i remember correctly I had to reuse the OEM bump stops and dust boots as well. Other than that it was all good.

68ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 F100 Ranger, 19 STX FX4 Ranger
Correct. I had to reuse the upper mou ts fornthe front. A slight pain but not to bad.

Thankfully I have access to the necessary tools to get the job done. If i remember correctly I had to reuse the OEM bump stops and dust boots as well. Other than that it was all good.
I've trying to figure out how this thing goes together. I'm not sure the bump stop can be reused. the shaft is a different diameter. Not sure how you remove it from the old shock either. It has that ring holding it on. Did you reuse the lower spring isolator? It has some rubber extrusions that are keyed into holes on the OEM shock. There aren't any corresponding holes on the OME. I guess you could cut them off and just lay it on there but I would be worried it might slip and wear. The dust boot does fit on there no problem. maybe a little short.
strut comparison.jpg

strut shaft.jpg

bottom rubber.jpg

dust boot installed.jpg

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've trying to figure out how this thing goes together. I'm not sure the bump stop can be reused. the shaft is a different diameter. Not sure how you remove it from the old shock either. It has that ring holding it on. Did you reuse the lower spring isolator? It has some rubber extrusions that are keyed into holes on the OEM shock. There aren't any corresponding holes on the OME. I guess you could cut them off and just lay it on there but I would be worried it might slip and wear. The dust boot does fit on there no problem.
strut comparison.jpg

strut shaft.jpg

bottom rubber.jpg

dust boot installed.jpg
I will send you a p.m. with my phone number. Give me a call and I will be able to explain all the steps to you.

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
I've trying to figure out how this thing goes together. I'm not sure the bump stop can be reused. the shaft is a different diameter. Not sure how you remove it from the old shock either. It has that ring holding it on. Did you reuse the lower spring isolator? It has some rubber extrusions that are keyed into holes on the OEM shock. There aren't any corresponding holes on the OME. I guess you could cut them off and just lay it on there but I would be worried it might slip and wear. The dust boot does fit on there no problem. maybe a little short.
strut comparison.jpg

strut shaft.jpg

bottom rubber.jpg

dust boot installed.jpg
You will want to use all the factory hardware. Just pull the bumpstop off. It will clip into the white plastic hat on assembly and the black dust shield goes over top and into the groove.
The white bumpstop strut cap probably wont fit, but the ome strut looks like it has one built in already. I would use the rubber isolator if you can get a retention hole to line up, but I would need to see more pictures to how it sits and fits.
Did the kit come with new lower bolts or studs ? They can be difficult to press out.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You will want to use all the factory hardware. Just pull the bumpstop off. It will clip into the white plastic hat on assembly and the black dust shield goes over top and into the groove.
The white bumpstop strut cap probably wont fit, but the ome strut looks like it has one built in already. I would use the rubber isolator if you can get a retention hole to line up, but I would need to see more pictures to how it sits and fits.
Did the kit come with new lower bolts or studs ? They can be difficult to press out.
I already talked to him over the phone on what to do since I have installed this kit on my truck a few months back. The bump stop and dust cover swap over and there are new bolts for the lower mounts. The only thing that doesn't swap over is the plastic insulator

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I see both Frenchy and KVOFTN had some vibration and possibly has take off shudder after putting in these leaf springs. Were you able to tune this with shims, etc?

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I see both Frenchy and KVOFTN had some vibration and possibly has take off shudder after putting in these leaf springs. Were you able to tune this with shims, etc?
I didnt bother with shims as I dont have the takeoff shutter. As for driveshaft vibration due to ford forgetting how to phase a driveshaft? Absolutely I do but it still isnt bad on my truck.

WhiteBeastRangerNick

First Name
Nickolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew
Occupation
Field Calibration Technician
Okay, leafs are in!

The truck is definitely not the ranger I bought a year ago. With the front coils and now these leaf springs it rides so much better.

Rear of the truck feels smoother over bumps, gained 1.5” of lift over stock leafs with 400 lbs of gear in/on the bed.

Axle now articulated further than it ever has and the shocks fully extend when the truck flexes. A must do upgrade imo if you want to do some serious off roading.
91C17285-9AE1-48AF-ADDF-64C53CA354E5.jpeg
A761922D-DFFA-47DE-AFC2-FF12283FBB3D.jpeg
I would think that you’d have to Reuse the part on the top of the stock leafs to keep the U bolts from rubbing on top of the OME springs? Is that not the case?

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would think that you’d have to Reuse the part on the top of the stock leafs to keep the U bolts from rubbing on top of the OME springs? Is that not the case?
I dont know why you would think that. I habe had my kit on for close to a year with 20,000 miles on it and I havent had any issues. All you have to do is follow the OEM torque procedures and you will be fine

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Yes the bump stop spreader pads should always be used. These spread the clamping forces and limit the amount the springs/axle can slide in case the center pin shears in an impact.
The main leaf can work-harden over time under the ubolt and snap.

mapco

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know if I could run the heavy duty kit for a while before I actually have a new bumper with a winch? The winch might be a little bit of a ways out.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Anyone know if I could run the heavy duty kit for a while before I actually have a new bumper with a winch? The winch might be a little bit of a ways out.
I'm sure you could but the ride will be rough. One option you could go is the BP-51 kit. It still comes with the standard leaf springs(ARB informed me of this) but the struts are adjustable for no bumber and wich all the way up to bumper and winch up front. You also get the advantage of selecting compression and rebound dampening to your comfort level.
Sponsored