First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Well the latest curve ball from the Ranger has me scratching my head. Due to a miss fire at idle and concerns of water in the plug wells I decided to change the plugs at just over 30k. Hole #2 and #3 were full of oil. It was at least 1/4in up on the boot and puddled up around the plug when I looked down in the hole. #2 and #3 seem to be connected by and internal plenum but its hard to see, and makes it basically impossible to really clean it all out. So at least the plugs came out really easy and definitely weren't seized! I don't see and obvious signs of a valve cover leak and I have no idea if there are o ring seals on these motors. So looks like 6 weeks from now when the dealer can finally get me in I will see what they say.

IMG_4523.jpeg
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Seems like someone reported something similar before and it was determined the most likely cause was oil being spilled when refilling during the oil change. Do you do your own oil change, or do you take it somewhere?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Seems like someone reported something similar before and it was determined the most likely cause was oil being spilled when refilling during the oil change. Do you do your own oil change, or do you take it somewhere?
That's what I was thinking. Sure looks like a quantity of oil was dropped onto the plastic near where the oil fill would be...close to plugs 2 & 3.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Definitely an oil seal around the plug holes. In a way this isn't uncommon for vehicles that have coil over plug. What usually causes this is one of two things. Faulty seals or oil changes being extendes than normal. That said i do understand Ford said the Ranger can go up to 10K for oil changes dampening on conditions.

OP
OP
fORdEGON

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
I have done all my own oil changes except for the most recent one when I was out of town and my wife took it in. I agree on the suspect excess oil residue around holes #2/3. I always wipe up every single drop if there is any when I fill the oil. With the raised lip onto of the cover that the plug caps seal over I/m struggling to see how that much oil could of been spilled to puddle up high enough to breach the lip and then make its way past the seal. I guess since people are reporting water infiltration around the seal it can happen though. Also of note, it looks to me like there is a pattern in the ridges formed into to the top of the cover that would allow liquid to flow to all the plug holes, its not like 2/3 are isolated little ponds. So I find it interesting that these two holes were the only ones affected. #2/3 also have that interconnecting plenum, not just an isolated well like the other plugs, so that leads me to think there is possibly a larger seal surface to fail around these holes.

As per usual the most frustrating part of owning this truck is the dealer. I guess its not just Ford but come on every time I've had an issue with this truck, from faulty rear brakes to misfires to fuel in oil and now this issue its always 6 weeks to even look at it I can't be without the truck for that long.

Also of note, the new plugs did not do anything for the misfire/stumbling at idle when cold. There was also fuel smell to the oil again and I drain just shy of 7 quarts:puke:. I only run big brand 92, oil changes always under 10k, usually 6-7k.

Cheers

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Never heard of Big Brand Fuel. I'm assuming you mean a Name Brand of sorts? Also if its easier foe you assuming you have the tools i say just get a new valve cover gasket and seals.

OP
OP
fORdEGON

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Never heard of Big Brand Fuel. I'm assuming you mean a Name Brand of sorts? Also if its easier foe you assuming you have the tools i say just get a new valve cover gasket and seals.
I just mean shell/chevron/76 no random deep county stations like we have around here. I got the oil residue really cleaned up well using these big q tips from my gun cleaning kit so I will keep an eye on it and if the oil re appears let the dealer see what they can do. Im buried with a clutch swap on my dodge and top end on my snowmobile right now the last thing I wand to do is wrench on the "new" truck that's under extended warranty !
Sponsored