Oil dilution issue making me cancel purchase..

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Your not crazy, just easily influenced by comments from strangers on the internet. Statistical sample size is important. There are enough high mileage Rangers on the road now to effectively put this in perspective once and for all. As many have mentioned buy the extended Ford Warranty and let it be their problem, not yours.

Next to a home, your truck purchase will likely be the next biggest high dollar purchase. You got cold feet, and that’s ok.

All I can say in this inflationary environment, a truck in the garage is worth two on the lot.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
Just an update today in case people didn't see my update yesterday, it seems this isn't a big deal and may be just part of owning a direct injection engine which I've never had before. So, its fine. Still shopping for one if I can only find a decent deal. I am pretty religious with maintenance and would never go more than 5k mi for my oil changes. Being a turbo and all, might even lower it to 4500.
Good luck on your search now that you have made a decision on getting a Ranger.
Getting a decent deal is probably the hard part.
I had gone to my home town not that long ago and on the Ford lot they had a used 2021Ranger crew cab XLT 4x4 - just like mine - tow package and rear window. That’s it. They were asking close to 9k over the original MSRP of 40k (that includes PDI). And that was the reduced price. That’s Canadian dollars in case anyone was freaking out that was US dollars.

OP
OP

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Good luck on your search now that you have made a decision on getting a Ranger.
Getting a decent deal is probably the hard part.
I had gone to my home town not that long ago and on the Ford lot they had a used 2021Ranger crew cab XLT 4x4 - just like mine - tow package and rear window. That’s it. They were asking close to 9k over the original MSRP of 40k (that includes PDI). And that was the reduced price. That’s Canadian dollars in case anyone was freaking out that was US dollars.
I believe it. All I'm looking for is a '22 XLT 4WD w/locking diff and trailer package. Thats $39k and NO dealer will sell it for that price. Best offer I've gotten is $42,600 out the door. I also have x plan, and no dealer will honor it.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
I believe it. All I'm looking for is a '22 XLT 4WD w/locking diff and trailer package. Thats $39k and NO dealer will sell it for that price. Best offer I've gotten is $42,600 out the door. I also have x plan, and no dealer will honor it.
I was originally looking for a Ranger with the trailer package, but my dealer informed me it was a pretty rare configuration and there was only 1 in the state at the time. What they did not inform me was how simple it is to DIY the trailer package. The trailer package is just a couple accessories, it doesn't add oil coolers or anything significant like what is seen in other models. If you remove the trailer package requirement, I think you will find what you are looking for.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I was originally looking for a Ranger with the trailer package, but my dealer informed me it was a pretty rare configuration and there was only 1 in the state at the time. What they did not inform me was how simple it is to DIY the trailer package. The trailer package is just a couple accessories, it doesn't add oil coolers or anything significant like what is seen in other models. If you remove the trailer package requirement, I think you will find what you are looking for.
That is interesting, around my area you are hard pressed to find a Ranger that does not have the tow package.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
FWIW, just checked my oil for the first time in about three weeks and it's right where it should be. I was having some fuel in the oil at the beginning, but it seems these engines just need to mature a bit and the oil thing (usually) settles itself out.

GTHAYS

First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
23 Years in Prison on the 8 hour installment plan. (Retired, intact)
Wow. That's a mess. I believe it. I check out my dealer and he mentions 10 at the lot. Then when I look LOL, they are Intransit. Probably never see them. I got mine in 2020 change the oil every 6 months have 8000 miles on it. Use Ford Full Synthetic and it's delivered to my door. Never see any of the problems that originally scared me as well when I first bought it. And at that time FORD loaned me the money for free. Times have changed.