Oil change 3,000 or 5,000 miles?

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Is a 500 mile change even necessary in this time and age? That sounds really old school.
Probably, but i am not only old school, but a dinosaur..why change now! Its served me well all these years and helps me sleep at night.

I get the 10k interval some are refering to but that means any fuel in oil some threads are talkn about is in there for a long time.

Id prefer a mode where i can select my own prefered interval. My '99 jeep grand chreokee had that option.
Sponsored

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
The correct answer here is 10,000. There's fuel dilution in the winter months, and none when my 8 month OCI spans only warm months

Screenshot 2022-05-11 000731.png

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
When I get my oil changed at the ford dealer they put a sticker for a 5k oil change interval. Ask any tech who tears down these ecoboost engines and they will tell you 5k is the max they would go for their engines. These things have very tight tolerances, and are exposed to a lot of heat because of the turbo. They are prone to fuel dilution and elevated blow-by because of the direct injection and high cylinder pressures. Yes your modern oil will still be lubricating at 7500 and probably even 10k miles, but it is also circulating all kinds of crap that these engines produce. You can lookup ecoboost teardowns on YouTube and see engines with only 18k on them and 6k intervals be completely sludged up. I know most of you won't keep your ranger more than 5 years anyway so it probably doesn't matter to you. For those who are planning on having their vehicle for a long time, the $65 works package is literally a steal, just get it done every 5k and rest easy. The owners manual reccomendeds a 150k interval on the transmission fluid and diffs, which is an absurd interval. Ask a tech who cracks these things open at 150k on the factory oil what they would do, and I guarantee they say to cut that interval in half. I'll be doing the same with my oil and replacing it at no more than 5k.

For what it is worth, I believe a modern N/A engine with modern oils can easily go 7500+ miles on an oil change. They are subject to way less abuse than a turbocharged engine.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I generally like to change at 3K myself. In fact my truck just hit little over 3K miles total on the truck, so I had it changed.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I try to stick to as close to 5k as I can.

Next time the truck needs to go in it'll have about 27k and I'm going to have the diffs, tcase, and tranny done as well.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
When I get my oil changed at the ford dealer they put a sticker for a 5k oil change interval. Ask any tech who tears down these ecoboost engines and they will tell you 5k is the max they would go for their engines. These things have very tight tolerances, and are exposed to a lot of heat because of the turbo. They are prone to fuel dilution and elevated blow-by because of the direct injection and high cylinder pressures. Yes your modern oil will still be lubricating at 7500 and probably even 10k miles, but it is also circulating all kinds of crap that these engines produce. You can lookup ecoboost teardowns on YouTube and see engines with only 18k on them and 6k intervals be completely sludged up. I know most of you won't keep your ranger more than 5 years anyway so it probably doesn't matter to you. For those who are planning on having their vehicle for a long time, the $65 works package is literally a steal, just get it done every 5k and rest easy. The owners manual reccomendeds a 150k interval on the transmission fluid and diffs, which is an absurd interval. Ask a tech who cracks these things open at 150k on the factory oil what they would do, and I guarantee they say to cut that interval in half. I'll be doing the same with my oil and replacing it at no more than 5k.

For what it is worth, I believe a modern N/A engine with modern oils can easily go 7500+ miles on an oil change. They are subject to way less abuse than a turbocharged engine.
I stick to 5K intervals and agree $65 is a steal because of the other things they do with the oil changes. There something else going on if an engine has 18K miles and sludge build up with 3 oil changes. I doubt that it had to do with 'lack' of oil changes.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
5,000 miles under normal conditions. Two different Oil Analyzers at Blackstone Labs told me that they haven't seen any evidence yet that oil with 5,000 or less on it has revealed any particular issues regardless of the type of oil as long as it meets factory specs. I questioned this when they did my 1st analysis at 4231 miles.

Blackstone report (09-28-21).jpg

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
I changed my oil last Sunday at 2402 miles on the odometer, mostly because I won't clock 5000 miles a year...

So I figured I'd change my oil every 6 months.

My oil life gauge still said I had 49% left... I'm sure I could have gone a year without changing it, but that seems silly to me...

I also sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs, but my oil level was right at the 2nd hole and no smell of gas on the dipstick..., so we'll see what they say soon....

OP
OP
Dave1899

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
Okay I just had the oil changed at 4,000 miles on my 2019. I purchased the truck with less than 900 miles and have owned it for 16 months. Figured it was a good idea. The oil level was not low or high and looked nice and black without any water in it as well as it did not smell burnt.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Okay I just had the oil changed at 4,000 miles on my 2019. I purchased the truck with less than 900 miles and have owned it for 16 months. Figured it was a good idea. The oil level was not low or high and looked nice and black without any water in it as well as it did not smell burnt.
It's better to change the oil at least every 6-7 months, rather than every 1.5 years...

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club