First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
All this catch-can talk has got me thinking. Why do we want to CATCH the blow by gas/oil/water mixture and have to worry about emptying it? Why not just vent it straight to the pavement going down the road? It's mostly water anyway. The amount of oil contained in the mixture is minute compared to the amount that vehicles regularly LEAK while driving down the road. Then just plug the inlet line that fed this crap to the top of the valves causing the carbon build-up. It seems to me that would produce a much cleaner fuel/air/burn mixture without mixing in those unwanted contaminants. What kind of warning light would I trigger if I did this you think?
The EPA would never allow an automotive manufacturer to design a system that intentionally leaked oil and fuel onto the ground, no matter how small the amount. Aftermarket companies wouldn't be allowed to do this either, they would be fined very quickly and/or shutdown.
Sponsored

rbenne17

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
The EPA would never allow an automotive manufacturer to design a system that intentionally leaked oil and fuel onto the ground, no matter how small the amount. Aftermarket companies wouldn't be allowed to do this either, they would be fined very quickly and/or shutdown.
Justin, I completely understand and agree. You may have missed my point. What I commented on was making modifications to my OWN 2021 Ford Ranger and not what a manufacturer is allowed or not allowed to do. Why do I need to purchase a $200 catch can kit that needs emptying on a regular basis when I can vent it directly to the pavement, was my point. Like I said, the miniscule amount of oil I'd be discharging on the road would be negligible when compared to the amount that leaks every day out of poorly maintained vehicles. My question was would I cause any warning lights by doing it?

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
All this catch-can talk has got me thinking. Why do we want to CATCH the blow by gas/oil/water mixture and have to worry about emptying it? Why not just vent it straight to the pavement going down the road? It's mostly water anyway. The amount of oil contained in the mixture is minute compared to the amount that vehicles regularly LEAK while driving down the road. Then just plug the inlet line that fed this crap to the top of the valves causing the carbon build-up. It seems to me that would produce a much cleaner fuel/air/burn mixture without mixing in those unwanted contaminants. What kind of warning light would I trigger if I did this you think?
I’m no engineer but does the pressure make any difference? If you vent it to the ground, that air pressure is no longer in the closed system. I dunno if that even makes sense but it’s the only way I can convey my thoughts on it.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Why do I need to purchase a $200 catch can kit that needs emptying on a regular basis when I can vent it directly to the pavement, was my point. Like I said, the miniscule amount of oil I'd be discharging on the road would be negligible when compared to the amount that leaks every day out of poorly maintained vehicles. My question was would I cause any warning lights by doing it?
I asked UPR if I could install a drain tube on their CC and leave the drain tube open instead of closed and they said it would create a vacuum leak.

rbenne17

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I’m no engineer but does the pressure make any difference? If you vent it to the ground, that air pressure is no longer in the closed system. I dunno if that even makes sense but it’s the only way I can convey my thoughts on it.
My thinking is when the piston goes down it creates the vacuum needed to draw air and fuel into the cylinder along with the contaminates we don't want that cause the carbon build-up. If I plug the top inlet to stop the crap from being sucked in, will they still be discharged through the lower outlet without vacuum? THAT, I don't know.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Checked the sock on my crank case breather. It was a little wet to the touch and smelled like fuel. There was a little spittle around it where you can see its pushing through the thin sock. Gonna switch to a sweat band and see if that helps.

7510451D-C4DB-4B0D-AF3A-C02520271026.jpeg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Checked the sock on my crank case breather. It was a little wet to the touch and smelled like fuel. There was a little spittle around it where you can see its pushing through the thin sock. Gonna switch to a sweat band and see if that helps.

7510451D-C4DB-4B0D-AF3A-C02520271026.jpeg
So many angsty teen memes to draw on.... 'how many times have I told you not to touch my socks, Mom!'

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Justin, I completely understand and agree. You may have missed my point. What I commented on was making modifications to my OWN 2021 Ford Ranger and not what a manufacturer is allowed or not allowed to do. Why do I need to purchase a $200 catch can kit that needs emptying on a regular basis when I can vent it directly to the pavement, was my point. Like I said, the miniscule amount of oil I'd be discharging on the road would be negligible when compared to the amount that leaks every day out of poorly maintained vehicles. My question was would I cause any warning lights by doing it?
Absolutely you would trip a CEL, even disconnecting the clean side vent will trip a CEL

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
my truck seems to run fine without the catch can. im not sold on the fact of NEEDING one. if some want one great go for it. yes ive seen them be nasty and full. but, i kinda take the line that if ford didnt include one after all the time and study, then i can get by without it.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
my truck seems to run fine without the catch can. im not sold on the fact of NEEDING one. if some want one great go for it. yes ive seen them be nasty and full. but, i kinda take the line that if ford didnt include one after all the time and study, then i can get by without it.
I think ford makes one for other vehicles. Just not the ranger.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
The feeling I get, Manufacturers today don't intend for you to own a vehicle for life now. I think their goal is 100,000/5 year ownership then buy new. So they are not worried about long term effects of anything. Ford is good at small engines making big power.

However, you pull the entire intake system including the IC and you will probably see a nightmare (what I consider a nightmare ? )waiting inside. Which is my main reason for using a CC.

Performance, yeah it could probably effect the efficiency of the IC and airflow after years of build up. It could also contribute to the valves building up. All that gunk is going somewhere, its not just disappearing into thin air.. I don't remember hearing anything about Fords Eco Boost engines sticking valves or dropping them on a regular bases. Ive been out of the mechanic game for a while now though and its more of a hobby these days.

Now the important thing about catch cans IMO are: NOT all CC are created equal. Quality matters when it comes to this. Personally I use Provent, these are proven CC for bigger rigs and work great on small diesels and gas engines alike.

Then you have a little extra maintenance, you need to drain the cans, make sure they are plumbed right, extra money to spend and change filters if equipped. The Provents have filters and need to be changed every 30-40,000km. Takes about 15 seconds to change them.

I know people get sick of threads like this, but there is nothing wrong with questioning opinions and experience on a forum. It may force people to engage more and learn something new. Its good to have the choice to read threads you want to read or not.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Yup. Drive it on a regular basis. Cut back on short trips. Change the oil on a regular basis and you’ll be fine!

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
AD8DAD7B-A8F5-4CF4-9B05-52ACE40A949F.jpeg

:D

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Took advantage of the 60 degree weather and installed my UPR catch can. Apparently there was a mid-year design change to the motor. My pcv hose did not match the one in the UPR install video on Youtube. Pictures below. The design change move the intake manifold connection to the top of the motor. :clap:

Overall it was a 30 minute job taking my time. I thank the design change for the ease of install.

The blue tape shows the intake manifold connection. The connection to the motor was the design change.
AB356D3B-A674-4C1A-897D-C340043559CE.jpeg

FD888595-7CC2-48FE-A403-32272DA38DCD.jpeg

8EF21AA8-1DA4-4503-B446-31B8E3F5B40D.jpeg

516A6773-8F6D-421D-B574-484DAB0F0422.jpeg

14379768-080F-44D6-9192-F3F963EE64A4.jpeg

2381633E-6C37-4285-9DF5-F87CB26056E0.jpeg