First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I live in Massachusetts so our temps can get down that low too regularly. Never needed a heater for gas engines. This Ranger started up fine last winter first key turn or remote started for work runs during the week. I could see it if we got -30F temps as a norm.
Now if you’re running a diesel I can see it. No questions there!
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had block heaters on my Diesel trucks. In case some may not know, they are meant to be plugged in overnight and not just used as an "instant" heater right before starting the engine in the am. It would have to be really cold as in substantially below 0 F for them to be needed in a gas engine.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I had block heaters on my Diesel trucks. In case some may not know, they are meant to be plugged in overnight and not just used as an "instant" heater right before starting the engine in the am. It would have to be really cold as in substantially below 0 F for them to be needed in a gas engine.
I'm sorry but that simply isn't true of our vehicles. From the Owner's Manual

This is why they should be on a timer

Capture.JPG

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry but that simply isn't true of our vehicles. From the Owner's Manual

This is why they should be on a timer

Capture.JPG
My comment stands correct as written. They are meant to be used over night and in extremely cold conditions. The heater will keep the engine warm as the heat is continually dissipated by the ambient air.
Notice the phrasing from the manual "....approximately 3 hrs" and "0.4 - 1.0 kW-hrs"
Run it for 3 hrs unplug it and in a few hrs the engine will be cold again, its basic thermodynamics.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My comment stands correct as written. They are meant to be used over night and in extremely cold conditions. The heater will keep the engine warm as the heat is continually dissipated by the ambient air.
Notice the phrasing from the manual "....approximately 3 hrs" and "0.4 - 1.0 kW-hrs"
Run it for 3 hrs unplug it and in a few hrs the engine will be cold again, its basic thermodynamics.
Did you even read my post that says to put it on a timer so it shuts off just before you're ready to start the vehicle? No time for the coolant to "cool off".

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you even read my post that says to put it on a timer so it shuts off just before you're ready to start the vehicle? No time for the coolant to "cool off".
Try it but if you do use a timer be aware it may not be able to handle the current draw.

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
KB3Z-6B018-B – (Wire assembly)
GJ7Z-6A051-B – (Heater element)

Got it, just posting so I can reference back the part numbers when the time comes...

Thanks.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Step 3 of installing the heater element is to remove the fender splash shield. This is the same shield that is removed to R&I the engine oil filter. This splash shield is held in place by several plastic rivets which over time can become hard, brittle, and break. I ordered some extra rivets just in case any get broken. Part # for the rivets is W715694-S300 and is packaged as qty 1.

Lastly, if you're doing this job yourself you going to need to order some of the yellow coolant for top off - either concentrated (VC-13-G) or prediluted (VC-13DL-G).

Capture.JPG

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
We usually get 10 days at or below -10F here in N Illinois and I've never heard of anyone using a block heater on a gas engine, maybe a few hundred miles north of us. We have one on our Ram diesel and it regularly gets plugged in on those nights. We just plug it in at night if we know we are using the truck the next day and it's going to be very cold over night. I don't see any reason to have it on a timer to turn off before you are going to start the vehicle, you have to unplug it anyway, seems unnecessary.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...and if you're ordering the truck, option code 41H costs less than $100

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I don't see any reason to have it on a timer to turn off before you are going to start the vehicle, you have to unplug it anyway, seems unnecessary.
I was thinking of the timers that turn ON not off.