John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
My Pioneer head unit has the ability to display real time OBD engine measurements . A few observations for those wanting to know what these engines run at ....

My truck here in Florida runs 199-204 F usually - good cooling system.

My Coolant Temp and Trans Temp are usually exactly the same.

Boost is pretty interesting on this motor . Going down the road cruising without your foot in it I am running - 1 to - 3 "Vacuum" . Put your foot down and you start getting positive boost quickly . How does Ford do that ? Is the wastegate opened on purpose to maximize fuel economy cruising- bleeding off boost or is the Turbo simply not spun up enough to create positive boost under say ~ 1800 rpm ?

Exhaust temps are usually in the 500's 600's .

The highest boost I have seen is 15-16 ish.....I only run 89 octane ....not sure if that changes with better gas.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Are you looking for better performance or better mileage? Better performance 91+, better mileage 87+

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Are you looking for better performance or better mileage? Better performance 91+, better mileage 87+
Lol you are incorrect on part of that sir. For better performance and mileage 91 and up is the way to go. When i was out in Michigan a few months ago I was able to use 93 for once and lets just say the truck loved it!!! What kills MPG in these trucks are various conditions like headwinds. I run 91 all the time and do pretty well on my MPG as long as conditions let me.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Lol you are incorrect on part of that sir. For better performance and mileage 91 and up is the way to go. When i was out in Michigan a few months ago I was able to use 93 for once and lets just say the truck loved it!!! What kills MPG in these trucks are various conditions like headwinds. I run 91 all the time and do pretty well on my MPG as long as conditions let me.
I think I had this conversation with someone. When the consumer generally looks at better mileage they consider cost into the equation. If purely looking at cost paid vs miles traveled 87 would win without a doubt. Saying you are getting 12% overall better fuel efficiency(12% to match the 12% extra cost of premium) would be silly. You can do the math. So there’s that part.

How about a government ran EPA emissions study done on a 2017 f150 eco boost? Where they actually control for variables like true pedal position, headwind, and such. 94 octane = .3 more mpg on highway than 88 octane. IIRC, 35.8 to 35.5 mpg. Now they also proved that 94+ will give more power but that’s a separate hypothesis they tested.

Consider this. You get different seasonal blends, it varies from station to station from time to time. You don’t have true pedal position controlled for, even if you drove the same routes, there might be that one day you wanted to get home 2 mph faster unconsciously. We are able to believe whatever we want though. You can make that decision yourself. Beauty of freedom and our little noggins.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/812520.pdf
Sponsored