Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey all,

First time owning a truck so I'm not sure if its expected (aerodynamics etc) for my truck to vibrate, I'd say intensely, when I'm go over 85. It's almost like its completely fine at 84 but then 85 and above it starts vibrating. The steering wheel doesn't vibrate its more so just the cab.

Anyone else had this issue? I'm still under warranty so I may just take it in anyways.

Thanks!
Sponsored

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
I have the super cab lariat FX4 and was surprised at how easily the ranger accelerates onto the highway coming from the F150; I had no cues going thru 85 mph the first couple times, and I didn’t and don’t want to drive that fast normally. i Have not experienced anything like you describe. I am completely stock, only thing would be any mods?

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the super cab lariat FX4 and was surprised at how easily the ranger accelerates onto the highway coming from the F150; I had no cues going thru 85 mph the first couple times, and I didn’t and don’t want to drive that fast normally. i Have not experienced anything like you describe. I am completely stock, only thing would be any mods?
Nope no mods yet besides some stickers lol

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Why are you driving that fast? ?

Mine is smooth at any speed I've tested it to. if it is speed sensitive, look to the tires, axles/joints and driveshaft as teh initial culprits. My old F150 driveshaft had some sass at 82mph, and only 82mph ?

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Why are you driving that fast? ?

Mine is smooth at any speed I've tested it to. if it is speed sensitive, look to the tires, axles/joints and driveshaft as teh initial culprits. My old F150 driveshaft had some sass at 82mph, and only 82mph ?
I do a lot of highway driving so 80+ is pretty normal lol

Thats what concerns me, its smooth as butter below 85 then out of no where just starts vibrating. Pretty much confirming that I need to drop it off at the dealer for a bit

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Would suggest having video to share as I doubt they’ll want to go out and do 85 to find the issue. Bring a friend as you shouldn’t film while driving :)

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Would suggest having video to share as I doubt they’ll want to go out and do 85 to find the issue. Bring a friend as you shouldn’t film while driving :)
Thats not a bad idea actually

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
There is a stretch of highway in Texas with a limit of 85, so I’m not gonna throw shade for going that fast, but the fidelity of your tires is very important. There’s a lot of energy at play with a wheel spinning that fast. Resonances are also funny where they’ll just increase seemingly induce vibration outta nowhere. Good luck on this one!

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
There are some pretty good vibration/frequency analysis apps out there.

Install one suitable for your phone and familiarize yourself with launching and capturing data with it.

Get your Ranger up to speed and grab some data with the app.

Approx 55 hz vibration will be from the driveshaft, 45 or so from engine or torque converter, under 20 tire/wheel/axle.

Road Force balancing may cure tire/wheel issues as may truing the tires.

Work with the warranty for engine/transmission/driveshaft vibrations.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nope no mods yet besides some stickers lol
Hi Steve,

At that speed you would have more of a buzz if driveline related....best check tire balance..

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi Steve,

At that speed you would have more of a buzz if driveline related....best check tire balance..

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I was thinking it could be that.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
im sure all this high speed driving is separating the tire plies.

to confirm this, go even faster and see if you blow the tire.

familiarise yourself with the 4 way flasher button. you'll likely need it when the tires shreds to safely slow traffic behind you as you wrestle control towards the shoulder of the road. dont roll it like the explorers used to do. no one wants another lawsuit.

once there safely pulled over, you can learn to lower the spare tire, which will be dirty, sized differently than the stock tire and limits you to 50mph.
the jacking points are clear in the manual so you should be ok doing this on your own. toss the trashed tire and rim into the bed, yay for pickups and head to the tire shop to buy tires that are more suited to high speed driving. stay away from A/T or off roaders. stick to S rated or more.

no need to go to the dealer IMHO, unless you think it's a simple balance issue and they can road balance them to the higher than legal limits you drive at.
I know you're poking fun but the speed of traffic is around the same. I'm not some asshole wizzing by people.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
My old Ranger came with a bad front shock when I got it. Displaying pretty much the same behavior. At about 75mph the hop was pretty severe.

I think the shocks that come on the Ranger cover the bare minimum to say, see you got shocks and they work. Push them a little bit they show how inferior they are. Your mileage may vary though

Showmeguy2020

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX2, 2017 Honda Magna 500
I'm going to second the balance diagnosis. Had a 2010 Ranger before my new one and had this issue when AT tires were installed. Although tire installation isn't rocket science it's easy for inexperienced techs to be off just a tad. Also if you're not feeling it in the steering wheel it's probably coming from the rear. Good luck! Oh yeah, you may want to install a parachute to help slow down from those tire shredding speeds. BTW I regularly hit 90+ mph and haven't experienced any vibrations except for my little giggle as I go by the Taco's and Bow ties!
Sponsored