Noise in rear cabin area

Dwane Kepler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariat
My Lariat Super Crew has a sound in the rear cabin area that sounds like the door isn't fully shut (not the case). It's not wind noise, and the dealer tech says it's just road noise, but I'm not buying it. It's very annoying, and so far the only thing I dislike about my Ranger! Anyone else have a similar issue??
Sponsored

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
My Lariat Super Crew has a sound in the rear cabin area that sounds like the door isn't fully shut (not the case). It's not wind noise, and the dealer tech says it's just road noise, but I'm not buying it. It's very annoying, and so far the only thing I dislike about my Ranger! Anyone else have a similar issue??
This noise is probably the fake exhaust sound that is piped in via the sound system.

Akshon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Magnetic
I have a tapping sound that comes from the rear. It drives me nuts. Haven't figured out the source yet but it's definitely two hard objects vibrating against one another.
Check to make sure the tools and jack under the rear seat are stowed properly. I had a tap/rattle from the jack loose in its perch.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Funny this thread should pop up today, I have my ranger currently in service for a few warranty issues and one of those issues is clicking/creaking sound from left rear side of the cab. You can hear it on the inside of the cab. I noticed that when it rains it seems to quiet down. Well, my Ford dealer found the issue (they are always great and extremely helpful). Perhaps this is what you guys are hearing, there is a sealant/mastic used on the bed. That sealant/mastic was used in great excess and it was rubbing against the cab. Since the cab and bed are separate, whenever the I went over even the slightest of rough roads it would rub. It really sounds like it is in the cab but it is, at least in my case, on the outside between the bed and cab. I attached a couple of pics to give you an idea of what it looks like. Take a look and see if this is whats causing your noise.

Looking in between the cab and bed from the side of the truck.
cRNunJzCqfK5Q0d1jaDAoAQIPiGjA9OgMPNl9YNQ0pcAKSBPnTEo7UCvOr7t6co6j8XTMElr_aqYtze0r5E=w556-h741-no.jpg

This is what the tech removed. you can see the dark spot where it was rubbing.
-6bwKZrzUT7RU3Ym2vySFEqLV-si6Z_pCAT2obJZfMT5eKAfhWOrkf9u66QmYHUdwiVdOodkbsBZLkii5es=w556-h741-no.jpg

Last edited:

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
If you havent already, check to be sure your back seat is fully latched, that would sound just like a rattling door.

Lots of info here about the seat back not latching properly.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed this at 80+ MPH on the freeway. It sounds like the passenger side rear door is open and wind is rushing in, but the window/door are both firmly closed.

It's probably a loose window seal. I don't notice at normal speeds though.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have noticed this at 80+ MPH on the freeway. It sounds like the passenger side rear door is open and wind is rushing in, but the window/door are both firmly closed.

It's probably a loose window seal. I don't notice at normal speeds though.
I noticed yesterday under hard acceleration that you can hear the turbo recirculation valve in the rear passenger side. Not sure why you can hear it back there, but that's definitely what it sounded like for me. That or there is an exhaust leak from the pipe in that area, but only under heavy throttle.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
I noticed yesterday under hard acceleration that you can hear the turbo recirculation valve in the rear passenger side. Not sure why you can hear it back there, but that's definitely what it sounded like for me. That or there is an exhaust leak from the pipe in that area, but only under heavy throttle.
I noticed the exact same thing. I was really surprised Ford would put it into production like that, assuming it's as-designed. I created a thread here last week:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/air-rushing-noise-from-rear-of-cab-during-wot-accel.2277/

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I noticed the exact same thing. I was really surprised Ford would put it into production like that, assuming it's as-designed. I created a thread here last week:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/air-rushing-noise-from-rear-of-cab-during-wot-accel.2277/

I think itā€™s probably just a small leak in the sound insulation, I doubt it could be stopped. We might be able to put a high flow exhaust on to reduce pressure, but even then you will hear the whoosh from the hot gasses spooling the turbo.

OP
OP

Dwane Kepler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariat
Check to make sure the tools and jack under the rear seat are stowed properly. I had a tap/rattle from the jack loose in its perch.
The seat belt buckle will rattle against the interior if it's not stowed properly.

SDFord

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Iā€™m having a noise issue in my rear passenger side too. I put 75 miles on yesterday trying various tape tests. I taped up around the outside mirrors, and along the entire rear window. With all that tape, it was very quiet. My dealer mentioned the vents too but I wanted to try these tests first. Without tape along the rear window area, the noise came back. It sure sounds like the window is open (it isnā€™t). Ford needs to find a solution for this noise.

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat. 2018 Chevrolet Traverse
Occupation
Retired Construction Project Manager
I just got my new Super Crew Lariat 2days ago and I have the exact same sound in mine. When I first noticed it I pulled over the check the doors on both sides. No luck Sounds just like the passenger rear door and/or window is partially open. I doubt that Iā€™ll ever find the problem but will give my dealer a shot at it as soon as I get some spare time.

Mike Kelly

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
This noise is probably the fake exhaust sound that is piped in via the sound system.
I have the same "road noise" in my Lariat. From what I have heard and read there is insufficient insulation to keep out those noises.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I had some non-directional rear cabin noise that sounded like air. Not like a full on opening in a window or seal, just some air noise. It seems to have been eliminated with the installation of my tonneau cover.
Sponsored