First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
A full powered back window would be cool. There has to be a reason why I have never seen it offered on a truck. Yes, sunroofs take up valuable headroom space for the vertically challenged.
I have seen it. I think a taco has one, maybe a tundra... maybe. I don't remember, but I've seen one. Stopped and talked to the guy because I was so surprised. Fully retractable full size rear window.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
I have seen it. I think a taco has one, maybe a tundra... maybe. I don't remember, but I've seen one. Stopped and talked to the guy because I was so surprised. Fully retractable full size rear window.
Yes it was offered on the Tundra.

2020_toyota_tundra_design.jpg

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
I've always enjoyed sunroofs. My old Mercedes it was almost standard operating procedure for ignition then open sunroof.
I too have heard the bad things about F-150 sunroofs but the one truck I had with one did not have problems. If it was an option on a new vehicle I'd probably get it and take the risk that if I did still own the truck when started leaking 100k+ miles later, I'll get it fixed. Gotta love what you're driving, but that's just me.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The Last thing we need in Florida is a Sun Roofā€¦Plus, sooner or later they all Leak !
:)
In Florida it's a RainRoof since you get the afternoon thunderstorms seemingly every day. ?

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Iā€™d love see see a sunroof a stand-alone option on the next gen Ranger!!!

I live in NC and have a sunroof on my ā€˜02 F-150 SuperCrew which I used the majority of the year until two years ago when the plastic track gave up the ghost. I got it to close and havenā€™t used it since. Thankfully to this day it has never leaked once. With a mile and a half work commute, I prefer using the sunroof and windows to cool off over the A/C, since Iā€™m already home before even the best A/C would cool me down.

It would definitely be an option Iā€™d miss! But I 100% agree with othersā€¦. A stand-alone option only (not part of a package)
Many years ago I was looking at a used '70's car of some sort, probably considered a classic now, and I asked about the sunroof. The owner said it "just needs a new handle, I think I lost it". Then I noticed that from the top the entire gap between the sunroof and car roof had been very subtlety and carefully filled in with silicone sealant. It was never meant to open again.

I wish more vehicles considered interior airflow, especially when first starting out on a hot day. I miss the pop-out rear quarter windows on some of the hatchbacks I had as a teen. They'd dump the inside air in a minute.

As you mentioned, sunroofs/moonroofs really are useful for venting either instead of or for the A/C. M-B had a potentially nice set-up for that on the GL450 circa 2010. The sunroof would pop up at the rear w/ a shield & the inner sunshield had vents in it. Even in the rain it would vent the interior w/o water ingress. Unfortunately, the nascent AI that ran the climate control wouldn't allow the driver enough control to set the dash to be a vent/outside air inlet so the sunroof could be an outlet, no extra heating or cooling or automatic management applied.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
A full powered back window would be cool. There has to be a reason why I have never seen it offered on a truck. Yes, sunroofs take up valuable headroom space for the vertically challenged.
What? You mean you don't like the fast food drive-up hamburger pass-through installed in the back window of some current Rangers? It's like a super sports car toll window...in the back of the cab. I truly do not understand it. That weird little thing made me miss the full sliding window on my '98 Ranger that could hold a half dozen 2x4's in place.

MikeyTX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Lariat Supercrew; '21 MX-5 Miata
Occupation
Retired Military/Law enforcement
Ford doesn't make them right, the f-150 sunroofs have a horrible track record with leaks. And I believe it takes away from head room space but I'm not 100% about that.
So do the Explorers. Ford has had to buy two back over the past year. Then, I get one with the roof rail delete option. That one develops a leak on the right front where the guide pin hole is over the A pillar. Glove box would flood. Worse, it caused the exposed wiring ends to corrode. I am done with Fords sunroofs.

MikeyTX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If anybody is listening PLEASE don't make it a part of any trim level. Standalone option please!

Out of the many sunroofed cars (they're actually moonroofs now) I've had the last 3 were because they came with my desired trim level.

Added complexity, weight where you don't want it, loss of headroom, there's literally nothing to gain from them.
Nailed it !

MikeyTX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A sunroof would be nice, but I'd be just as happy if they had cooling seats!
I sooner have the cooled seats. With the fans on high, one good fart will kill any bugs in the cabin. :LOL:
Sponsored