Nitto Ridge Grapplers to loud and rough. Any suggestion?

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Love the looks but it rides too loud and rough on highway and I do a fair amount of driving on highway. Tire place will let me replace. Any suggestions on a off road tire that will be somewhat less aggressive? ? I have had it leveled. Thanks for your help!

DQ Ranger2.jpg
Tires like these with the chunky mud ridges in the shoulders can be sensitive to tire pressure. I had BFG KO2s on my Mazda and they were very quiet until they developed a sort of cupping / feathering on the edges of the tread blocks. You can try adjusting tire pressure to see if it can be improved. I generally observe wear patterns to determine my optimum tire pressure, but it is a process that can take weeks. I found this method on YT a while back, and it seems sensible, pretty easy to do, and can be done in a few minutes in a parking lot.

Here's a guy doing it with Nitto Grapplers

And if it doesn't help, you can just trade em back to the dealer
Sponsored

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I had these installed 6 weeks ago an I'm happy with the ride an noise level. I hate a loud tire. I went 265/70/17s but I didn't get the LTs. There 's one stretch of highway that I get a little vibration but it's only on this newly paved part of the road that seems to be overly crowned. I'm running 30 PSI an lost a few MPGs so I may bump it up to 32.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I had these installed 6 weeks ago an I'm happy with the ride an noise level. I hate a loud tire. I went 265/70/17s but I didn't get the LTs. There 's one stretch of highway that I get a little vibration but it's only on this newly paved part of the road that seems to be overly crowned. I'm running 30 PSI an lost a few MPGs so I may bump it up to 32.
Try 32 psi that's what I've been running mine (same tire & size) at and it seems to be the perfect pressure.

OP
OP

jdneally1

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Try 32 psi that's what I've been running mine (same tire & size) at and it seems to be the perfect pressure.
Thanks, I will try that. I have been running 35 psi.

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
Ive had 0 change in ride quality going from the Grabbers to the Ridge Grapplers (both C rated), and im running them at 37 psi cold. Road noise is a tiny bit more noticeable, but even at hwy speeds with no radio i barely hear it. Hopefully its just a bad balancing job on the shops part and its able to be fixed up.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
You can run less pressure in the off road tires. I have 30 psi in my Patagonia MT’s and it made a big difference. Some noise is just the nature of the beast running bigger, more aggressive tires.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I am wondering if the PSI is off on the tire, should probably be only 32psi. I can hear the tire noise change in my Honda Pilot with 265/60/18 Ridge Grapplers from 30-36psi. Nitto told me to run them at 29psi but I stick to 32psi cold.

If PSI does not do the trick, I have honestly been loving the General Grabber ATx that came on the Tremor. ONLY complaint is that they like to pick up and fling rocks (added mud guards for that). I may try K02 the next time around but I have been so pleased with the ATx on and off-road that I may stick with them on the next set too (except 275/70/17)

Ive had 0 change in ride quality going from the Grabbers to the Ridge Grapplers (both C rated), and im running them at 37 psi cold. Road noise is a tiny bit more noticeable, but even at hwy speeds with no radio i barely hear it. Hopefully its just a bad balancing job on the shops part and its able to be fixed up.
Pretty sure the Tremor has E rated tires.

Blakebird

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercab
interesting how many varied opinions there are on noise with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers..

I put a set of them on at 19,000 miles - and they're LT's for their tough sidewall/carcass in the desert offroad we explore in.
My FX4 XLT now has 38,000 miles and they have been excellent. Not noisy at all, have done a number of several thousand mile road trips, lots of tough desert wheeling - I couldn't be happier.
I have them rotated at each oil change (5k miles) and they are wearing super well. Zero cupping, look new pretty much.

At the same time these tires were mounted I did go with Fox 2.0 coilovers with 2" leveling lift and Fox shocks.... but I think these tires would have worked as well with the stock suspension.
Sponsored