Nitto Ridge Grappler Questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 773
  • Start date
  • Watchers 7

Deleted member 773

I have ridge grapplers on the f-350 dually, they look great all the time but after 50% life they go to hell, cupping, chunks, noise, vibration, etc. That may all have to do with the truck being deleted and tuned aggressively along with little self control when it comes to throttle application, either way, I’m hesitant to put them on the Ranger.

So far, how are they lasting on the Ranger and what size did you go with? How have they changed driving dynamics?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have ridge grapplers on the f-350 dually, they look great all the time but after 50% life they go to hell, cupping, chunks, noise, vibration, etc. That may all have to do with the truck being deleted and tuned aggressively along with little self control when it comes to throttle application, either way, I’m hesitant to put them on the Ranger.

So far, how are they lasting on the Ranger and what size did you go with? How have they changed driving dynamics?
I only have a little over 1100 miles on mine so I'm not going to be a good assessment on wear. I went with 265/70/17 and a 2.5" level kit and I feel this is the perfect combo where you do not have to cut the crash bar as there's no rubbing. For street use they're very quiet for an aggressive tire and great for off roading. No slipping and great traction on some of the rocky trails I've been on,see the link below for pictures.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rock-crawling-ranger.4683/

Mpg's didn't take much of a hit around town (maybe .5) and highway was only a couple but it all depends on how you're driving. My last tank I actually got the best,average was 22.9 with 35% highway/65% city but I was driving tame to see how good of mpg's I could get. If you're in S mode and heavy on the pedal all bets are off. :D

When I was looking for tires I spoke with @Andy back in early Sept. and at that time he had over 7500 miles on his and loved them! He had the same size tires so I went with that combo and couldn't be happier. I bought them online at Tirebuyer.com Good prices and they ship for free and also give you a 45 day free return if you're not happy with them as long as you ship to a dealer.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/nitto/ridge-grappler/p/TV154000829#offers

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

I only have a little over 1100 miles on mine so I'm not going to be a good assessment on wear. I went with 265/70/17 and a 2.5" level kit and I feel this is the perfect combo where you do not have to cut the crash bar as there's no rubbing. For street use they're very quiet for an aggressive tire and great for off roading. No slipping and great traction on some of the rocky trails I've been on,see the link below for pictures.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rock-crawling-ranger.4683/

Mpg's didn't take much of a hit around town (maybe .5) and highway was only a couple but it all depends on how you're driving. My last tank I actually got the best,average was 22.9 with 35% highway/65% city but I was driving tame to see how good of mpg's I could get. If you're in S mode and heavy on the pedal all bets are off. :D

When I was looking for tires I spoke with @Andy back in early Sept. and at that time he had over 7500 miles on his and loved them! He had the same size tires so I went with that combo and couldn't be happier. I bought them online at Tirebuyer.com Good prices and they ship for free and also give you a 45 day free return if you're not happy with them as long as you ship to a dealer.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/nitto/ridge-grappler/p/TV154000829#offers
Thanks, I’ve been happy with off-road traction too, we tow a lot off-road for work. Did you do the 115t or the E rated? The E rated tire is about 11 lbs heavier. No spacers required in the front?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks, I’ve been happy with off-road traction too, we tow a lot off-road for work. Did you do the 115t or the E rated? The E rated tire is about 11 lbs heavier. No spacers required in the front?
I went with the 115T and no spacers. I don't tow or really haul anything that heavy.

IMG_1405.jpg

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I have 9900 of hard mountain trials on mine. Still look and perform like new. Definitely love this tire.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I had them on my F150 and with the same results. The first set did the same thing...but I ran them for quite a while thinking that I just wasn't rotating and balancing them enough. I did lots of off roading so I thought it was my poor maintenance.

Replaced them and they ride beautiful. Ended up trading it in for the Ranger at about 40% wear and they seemed fine.

They really are great tires but very heavy. Really affected the MPGs a lot

oubbascooba

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are at 2k miles and i've had some vibration issues. Going to try and re-balance them, force balance. If this doesn't fix the problem, not getting them again. I hear horror stories with these tires, as i was researching them before i got the ranger. They look great, but not worth the vibration problems.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Mine are at 2k miles and i've had some vibration issues. Going to try and re-balance them, force balance. If this doesn't fix the problem, not getting them again. I hear horror stories with these tires, as i was researching them before i got the ranger. They look great, but not worth the vibration problems.
I originally had the Terra Grapplers on my 1st F150. When they wore out I replaced them with Ridge Grapplers. These were supposed to be a better, quieter tire... An upgrade to the Terras.

Not sure which one is better.

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

I’ve gone though 2 sets on an f-250 and another 2 on an f-350 dually, same results as you every time despite balancing/rotating/etc. Not sure what the deal is with them but I think I’m going to pass.

Daniel Scarbrough

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER FX4 LARIAT W/ SPORT PACKAGE 501A {HOT PEPPER RED}
nc_oc=AQnXu4teaa6gSIy5GBCyNjYmnyRFrPKwsfvS5l_FAlczZLKFhz-Z9bJRHk-_zyzBMu4&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

Mine are quiet. No issues yet with wear or in wet conditions, no vibration. May switch to 35 x 12.50 this spring. I'll be adding a rear leaf and going up one notch on the Eibach kitin the front and adding after market UCA's.

forceofnature

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT with RC 6" Lift
What tire pressures are you typically running? I keep mine at 40#.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What tire pressures are you typically running? I keep mine at 40#.
I've been running mine at 32lbs cold and they're perfect at that pressure.

forceofnature

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT with RC 6" Lift
That seems low. I read in some other tire forums running 40# was good for even wear. I did notice an improvement in MPG going from 36 - 40.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I run mine at 30 psi. 40 is rock hard and no good for my use. On the trails I run them at 20. So far I have 10k on the tires and they look great.
Sponsored