First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
If anyone is considering the Nitto Grappler G2's I figured I'd post up a quick review since I just played in the snow with them. I got them about 2.5K ago. The stock Bridgestones had a little life left in them but winter was coming an I made the change 2 or 3K early.

I went with 265/70/17's at 30 psi. They ride and handle routine commuting very well. Same noise level as the stock tires. No slipping in rain or any problems with wet roads. I probably lost .5 mpg with the bigger tires an 1.8" level.

Today there was about 2-3" of wet snow on top of driven on packed snow. I couldn't see an asphalt. I left the 4wd off for this experiment an I have no weight in the bed. The truck climbed the slight hill leaving the condo no problem an no slipping. Handled the snow covered side streets fine. I took a back road with an uphill road that stops at a more heavily travelled road. It pulled the hill find an pulled away from the uphill stop in wet sloppy snow fine with some wheel spin but but it pulled ahead at a steady rate. Took the snow covered highway home at 65 with no problem.

I'm pretty sure the stock Bridgestones would have required 4wd to climb the hill out of the condo complex an def would have been needed to pull away from the hill top stop. So if you live in a cold climate I think most people would be happy with these tires. One factor is choosing them was that the weight 40 pounds vs 50 plus for the wildpeaks and bridgestone K02's. I don't hit the trails for a hobby so the G2's handle what I want from a tire fine. If I spent a lot of time off road I might have taken the MPG hit an gone with the heavier tires.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Taking a quick look at the tire on Nitto's site I'm a little surprised about the wet and snow traction. Reason being the way the sipes are designed, mainly in the center blocks where they do not go accords the block and only stay inside. If anything it does look like a good tire and I would figure comparable to the Firestone Destination AT 2 since both are mild OffRoad tires.

OP
OP
Langwilliams

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Taking a quick look at the tire on Nitto's site I'm a little surprised about the wet and snow traction. Reason being the way the sipes are designed, mainly in the center blocks where they do not go accords the block and only stay inside. If anything it does look like a good tire and I would figure comparable to the Firestone Destination AT 2 since both are mild OffRoad tires.
I agree with that. I think the heavier tires with more plies to resist punctures would be better for tough trails. My off road adventures are limited to mild trails an fields to get to a shooting or fishing area.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I can second your opinion. I had 2 sets of the original terra grapplers and they liked everything except thick mud.
Sponsored