Newbie about to buy a topper for Ranger - please help!

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Hi everyone,

Anyone have any thoughts on truck toppers? I am about to buy a '19 or '20 Ranger with supercab/6' box and need a topper so I can move around the country with my stuff in the back. Will also sleep inside from time to time and maybe get a roof tent installed later so will order with roof rack system.

Any thoughts on ARE vs Leer vs Snugtop etc? I am looking for durability, roof weight capacity; (up to 180lbs dynamic weight going down the road) which several retailers have ensured me ARE can handle vs 150lbs from Leer.

Any thoughts on aluminum v fiberglass? I've been told fiberglass can mold better to the ranger box so its more watertight but heavier. Anybody think the fiberglass topper weight will significantly reduce MPG?

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!
Sponsored

allcos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Scab 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hi everyone,

Anyone have any thoughts on truck toppers? I am about to buy a '19 or '20 Ranger with supercab/6' box and need a topper so I can move around the country with my stuff in the back. Will also sleep inside from time to time and maybe get a roof tent installed later so will order with roof rack system.

Any thoughts on ARE vs Leer vs Snugtop etc? I am looking for durability, roof weight capacity; (up to 180lbs dynamic weight going down the road) which several retailers have ensured me ARE can handle vs 150lbs from Leer.

Any thoughts on aluminum v fiberglass? I've been told fiberglass can mold better to the ranger box so its more watertight but heavier. Anybody think the fiberglass topper weight will significantly reduce MPG?

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!
I ordered a ARE 'V' series with front fold down sliding window (makes it a lot easier to clean between the cab and cap) and side sliders. This will be my third ARE Cap. Their quality is good and the price is right.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
the1mrb - thanks for the info! I'll check out that thread... Do you think installation of the roof system later will be a pain? one dealer told me its a pain to drill and install on fiberglass vs aluminum. thoughts?

Deleted member 1634

the1mrb - thanks for the info! I'll check out that thread... Do you think installation of the roof system later will be a pain? one dealer told me its a pain to drill and install on fiberglass vs aluminum. thoughts?
I can't imagine why it would be a pain. All you have to do is locate the tracks properly (parallel and equidistant from the center), drill a few holes, and bolt it up. Drilling through fiberglass, especially this type, isn't that difficult in my experience. Everything I've read from people who have done it say it's quite simple. I think the hardest part will be making sure the tracks are in the right spot. The whole measure twice, cut once philosophy is going to be important. haha

allcos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Scab 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Retired
BTW, I have a Supercab. I'd like to have the crew, but the kayak lengths won out.
Dealer=MO money. As for the rack: Amazon is usually cheaper. Think of the options, both now and the future, then get a name brand that has them. I like the Aero wing type because it gives more horizontal surface to mount onto when the stuff moves back and forth. You can probably do it yourself. Go slow, measure twice, maybe three times (in my case). Measure from the center. Do one side (use the rail as a template) then the other, and MAKE sure the diagonal measurements for the holes are equal. This will ensure they’re at the same place: fore to aft. Measuring from an edge isn't easy. Apply masking or some kind of tape where the holes go. Use a new drill bit. If the mounting hardware uses regular nuts apply a little silicone to the top side at the holes. If it uses blind nuts...DON'T, They will seal themselves and may spin when you tighten the screws. Don't over tighten the hardware, Just snug....Done...and you take that feeling of accomplishment that you did it! If this sounds a bit much I have a tendency to be too detailed. It’s much easier then it sounds.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

Hey @charwest, just thought I'd update you in case you hadn't seen my post regarding this in a different thread, and if you're still thinking of going in this direction. I finally got components for my topper rack. The Rhino Rack system I mentioned earlier didn't work out. Price sky rocketed and we couldn't wait any longer for it to come back down. So since we already had a pair of Yakima round bars, we decided to just get a set of Yakima towers and pads.

My full post about them is here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/racks-on-truck-caps.7570/post-135972

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Hey @charwest, just thought I'd update you in case you hadn't seen my post regarding this in a different thread, and if you're still thinking of going in this direction. I finally got components for my topper rack. The Rhino Rack system I mentioned earlier didn't work out. Price sky rocketed and we couldn't wait any longer for it to come back down. So since we already had a pair of Yakima round bars, we decided to just get a set of Yakima towers and pads.

My full post about them is here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/racks-on-truck-caps.7570/post-135972

Let me know if you want to know anything else.
Awesome. Thank you so much.
Sponsored