New truck coming, but very long drive as well

Spetz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Good day, 2nd post here, my 2021 Ranger XLT is on the delivery truck, here in about a weeks time.

My situation:

I'm moving across Canada in the beginning of June (Vancouver Island to Ottawa Ontario), a drive of approximately 4500 km (2800 miles), and won't have time to do a gentle break-in. Hopefully have a 1000km or so on it before I head out. It is mostly flat highway once I cross the Rockies. Won't be towing anything with me.

My questions are:

1. Should I do a full oil change before I head out or wait until I reach my destination? Looking at going to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.
2. Anything special I should watch out for during the break-in besides the usual? (no sustained cruise control, varying throttle, etc..)
3. Anything you can recommend on doing a long trip on a brand new engine?

I've driven across Canada/USA several times, but never with a brand new vehicle, so just want to make sure I don't mess up anything with the EcoBoost.

Cheers and thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I wouldn’t be too concerned about negatively effecting the break in. The manual basically states not to labor the engine during the first 1000 miles if I remember correctly. I would probably vary your RPM throughout the trip to help get the rings seated happily. Just change the cruise control every once in a while and I think you’ll be good to go.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Not sure what your traffic will be like, but I picked my ranger up 2 hours away from me. In my area traffic even on the highways is usually medium heavy. I set my cruise on 70 and just let it ride, and the truck easily varied it's speed from 50 to 70 for the whole trip, so I didn't have much to do to keep from driving at the same speed for long periods.

But, if your roads are clear then just don't drive at 80 for the whole trip :)

Added: Oh, and if you don't have adaptive cruise then my method wont work for you, of course.

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Good day, 2nd post here, my 2021 Ranger XLT is on the delivery truck, here in about a weeks time.

My situation:

I'm moving across Canada in the beginning of June (Vancouver Island to Ottawa Ontario), a drive of approximately 4500 km (2800 miles), and won't have time to do a gentle break-in. Hopefully have a 1000km or so on it before I head out. It is mostly flat highway once I cross the Rockies. Won't be towing anything with me.

My questions are:

1. Should I do a full oil change before I head out or wait until I reach my destination? Looking at going to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. I wouldn't do an oil change before the trip and I'm not sure I would do one at the far end. Let the Oil-Life Monitor guide you.
2. Anything special I should watch out for during the break-in besides the usual? (no sustained cruise control, varying throttle, etc..) Nope...
3. Anything you can recommend on doing a long trip on a brand new engine? Go easy on the brakes and no rabbit starts. Most important is to enjoy your new truck and have a safe trip.

I've driven across Canada/USA several times, but never with a brand new vehicle, so just want to make sure I don't mess up anything with the EcoBoost.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you’ll be fine. When I lived in Vancouver and Kelowna (22 yrs), I made the trip over the Rockies and back dozens of times. The grade isn’t so bad that it should cause concern.

I’d be more worried about having to live in Ottawa after living on the island. Good gawd - what are you even thinking?

1619036981248.png

Have a safe trip!

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I live in SoCal and found my Ranger for a great deal in Longmont, Colorado (near Boulder). It was two months after the country shut down for Covid and dealers were getting itchy with vehicles sitting on their lots. I flew out and drove it home 1300 miles the next day - well, the next few days :)

My first couple tanks of gas were from cruising through the Rockies and checking out the sites. Lots of variable RPM's which was nice. The rest was 70 MPH plus on the highway home. The truck runs like a champ and the two oil analysis tests I've done so far confirm it. I think you will be fine.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Bought the Lariat three weeks ago. Drove it a day and put on less than 100 miles. Next two days spent driving home from Texas to Las Vegas 1300 miles distance. Didn’t care what gear the trans picked while I was on the highway. I put it in D and just drove. At 2606 miles now and everything seems ok.

Trans will do 7-10th gear by itself on the highway with wind, hills, traffic, passing cars et. So it’s not like it stays in 10 for hours straight even on a flat highway.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

The days of breaking in a motor are long gone....Take the new vehicle, start the motor...put in drive or Sport and hit the road....stop when you need to be it 1 mile or 1500 or more miles. Break in is a thing of the past....modern engines, lubricants negate this need or a break in oil change. If this was important, the Ranger Quick Reference guide would highlighted it. Yeah, Do not tow a trailer faster than 70mph for the first 500 miles is an exception, including avoiding Wide Open Throttle access as well.

I know this is blasphemy for many, but my Ranger hit the road with a few wide open punches of the pedal and a steady state 75mph on the 40 mile trip home. Next day it did chores and its usage is what it was intended to be including some mild off roading.... Want to do the break in procedure....GO FOR It...you will no hurt it and if you don't ...same result.

When first at Ford, the durability prototypes went through this break in procedure, particularly the 360/390 Y Blocks. 300 straight 6 was pretty bullet proof. Not anymore...Ship to the proving ground and hit the road...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Spetz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Thanks all. Figured it wouldn’t be a big deal, but thought I’d ask anyway.

cheers

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I wouldn’t be too concerned about negatively effecting the break in. The manual basically states not to labor the engine during the first 1000 miles if I remember correctly. I would probably vary your RPM throughout the trip to help get the rings seated happily. Just change the cruise control every once in a while and I think you’ll be good to go.
@Spetz That's really all you have to do. Just don't run at the same speed long periods of time on the interstate, and all will be well. Also, the OM says to be easy on the brakes for sometime like the first 200 miles. Have a safe journey, and enjoy your new Ranger.

I picked up a new GM car in Maryland, drove it approx. 450 miles home to North Carolina. I just varied the speeds/rpms a little every 50-75 miles (for my own peace of mind), or so. It's doing fine.

BTW @P. A. Schilke (Phil) is our resident Ford guru here. He's forgotten more about Ford's than I'll ever know. So, you can bet his advise is always spot on.

Last edited:

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
When I bought my '13 BOSS 302 the manual said be kind to it the first 100 miles, and so I did. After that game on, she still purrs like a kitten. I did the same with the Ranger, runs great.
Sponsored