First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
HVAC
Just wanted to post an update - mine was the exact same noise and it was my driveshaft (2wd) so I had to replace the entire drive shaft ($600) for drive shaft and $500 for a mechanic to put it in. Same noise and everything, no idea if this is on ford or if its on the guy that added the 2.5 leveling kit - either way ive driven 6,000 miles since I got it replaced and no noise at all. hopefully this helps
Sponsored

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Just wanted to post an update - mine was the exact same noise and it was my driveshaft (2wd) so I had to replace the entire drive shaft ($600) for drive shaft and $500 for a mechanic to put it in. Same noise and everything, no idea if this is on ford or if its on the guy that added the 2.5 leveling kit - either way ive driven 6,000 miles since I got it replaced and no noise at all. hopefully this helps
$500 to put it on? Wtf? They're simple enough to do in a driveway. Holy
I just figure it's the center bearing...

Warranty wouldn't cover it?

TheBadger

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 STX Crew 4Ă—4
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
I've got the same squeal. 2020 4x4 23k miles. Its been happening off and on for months. I'm convinced it's the center bearing. It's finally happening consistently enough that I'm confident the dealership will hear it when I take it in. Just gotta swap the LT tires out before I head down there. ?

TheBadger

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 STX Crew 4Ă—4
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
@RANGER PRIDE
The LTs are about 30lbs heavier than stock, each. You don't think they'll balk?

I have all kinds of mods but I figure the tires could actually be relevant.

Reactions: Doc

TheBadger

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 STX Crew 4Ă—4
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
@RANGER PRIDE But but but rotational mass!!! Lol nah the sound is probably coming from tHe ShEeTmEtAl BrAkE sHeIlD anyway right? Has to be ?

erty176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Designer
For OP: for what it's worth, we used to have the exact same noise come out of our old f350. It was a vaccum tube somewhere in the dash that had developed a small crack and when it was warm, it swelled enough to go away. When it was cold, it shrank enough to squeal. As the tubing warmed up after driving, it would disappear again. I'm not saying yours is in the dash and I'm not 100 percent sure how many things are run by vaccum on the 2.3, but I would have a dealer investigate the vaccum lines that are around the tires if there are any. It's entirely possible one got nicked by the tire shop.

TheBadger

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 STX Crew 4Ă—4
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
The Badger's been at the dealership for a couple days now.

First she wouldn't squeal so I suggested they get on the freeway and warm her up. Second day she wouldn't squeal on the hoist so I suggested they pick under the axle to keep the weight on the driveline. Guy started asking me about the "lift kit" and for a moment even said it was outside the warranty period, both of which gave me a chuckle. He called back right before close of business tonight to say they're pretty sure it's the driveshaft, parts will be in next week. I said that's good news, any chance of a loaner? ?

@RANGER PRIDE No mention of tires. Thanks for the reality check.

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
The Badger's been at the dealership for a couple days now.

First she wouldn't squeal so I suggested they get on the freeway and warm her up. Second day she wouldn't squeal on the hoist so I suggested they pick under the axle to keep the weight on the driveline. Guy started asking me about the "lift kit" and for a moment even said it was outside the warranty period, both of which gave me a chuckle. He called back right before close of business tonight to say they're pretty sure it's the driveshaft, parts will be in next week. I said that's good news, any chance of a loaner? ?

@RANGER PRIDE No mention of tires. Thanks for the reality check.
Why what size tires? Not sure why tire size would be relevant to it though. They won't change driveshaft angles.

TheBadger

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 STX Crew 4Ă—4
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
@Travis9935 They're not as big as yours lol. Was more concerned with weight and rotational mass than size. I've never owned a brand new vehicle before so I thought Ford would look for any and all reason to deny a claim. Also I think I'm addicted to buying truck parts and my subconscious fabricated a scenario to make me buy more.
Sponsored