First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
1. With the rear seat head rests so close to the rear window how do you clean the inside of the rear glass? I looked for a release for the seat back but couldn't find one.

2. On the dash right below the hradlight switch is an opening that looks like it would be a release but there is nothing inside when I stuck my fingers in?
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Welcome to the forum George from a fellow Scab owner.

1. The headrests are removable. Base of to rods there’s buttons you need to push to release them. Many of us removed them as the block rear views. If you have kids then I would keep them. There is some threads on here about them. Possible tilt mod you you got an early enough one. Otherwise you might have the non tilt.

2. give that little hand pocket a straight out pull and it will allow access to fuse panel. Much nicer than what last Gen Rangers had

AD5D9E09-7B75-4C8C-ADBF-3BF6BE82B5AE.jpeg

5B1B93CF-57E2-4A6B-99DC-429352104669.jpeg

OP
OP

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the reply. I see the button to release the head rests but they hit the roof before they come out. Maybe there is something diferent on the 2021.

Nice access to the fuse box.

ryday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
You can still pull the headrest out, its just a pain. You'll have to wiggle the top forward against the roof while pulling/pushing up. That's how I got mine out.

The headrests used to fold down on the 2019's. If I remember right all they really did was remove the button to do it. I remember reading a thread were someone rigged a way to release the catch that was still inside the headrests on the 2020's. Didn't see that till after I'd pulled mine out and never went back to look at them to see if it was true.

Reactions: Doc

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Welcome to the forum George from a fellow Scab owner.

1. The headrests are removable. Base of to rods there’s buttons you need to push to release them. Many of us removed them as the block rear views. If you have kids then I would keep them. There is some threads on here about them. Possible tilt mod you you got an early enough one. Otherwise you might have the non tilt.

2. give that little hand pocket a straight out pull and it will allow access to fuse panel. Much nicer than what last Gen Rangers had

AD5D9E09-7B75-4C8C-ADBF-3BF6BE82B5AE.jpeg

5B1B93CF-57E2-4A6B-99DC-429352104669.jpeg
Thanks for posting this photo. I have yet to need to do this... but now I'll remember how to access this.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Thanks for the reply. I see the button to release the head rests but they hit the roof before they come out. Maybe there is something diferent on the 2021.

My first time removing them I had to loosen the bolt that holds the seat back on. There is a piece of cloth center top of seat back just between the headrest legs. Loosen that and seat back tips forward just enough to remove them. I got my Scab in early December 2020. It had the headrest you could mod. Tons of people on here removed theirs. You might be able to find folding ones if you really need them back there.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
FYI it doesn't seem like this works on 2021 due to a more integrated headrest that doesn't include the spring/pivot hardware, as people on the thread have mentioned (and i've noticed on my 2021 as well)
True. I have a 2020 build date 10/20 and I still had the fold mechanism. They seem to have run out of that unit late in 2020, but there still may have been some that lingered into 2021. You may want to pop the cover off and verify just in case.

woodbyrd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX2 SCab
Pulled mine today to check on this and can confirm that as of a 3/21 XLT with cloth seats, the headrests are just a foam block with the posts inserted, no tilt mechanism anymore, so into the garage they go. I did have to loosen the bolt in under the carseat anchor strap between the posts in to be able to pull them out, otherwise they just didn't extend enough even with wiggling/pulling it forward.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

Gotta pull it toward you hard. I took mine off. My old Sport Trac had folding rear headrests.
Sponsored