New Rangers as Toads and key in ignition?

salmonfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 crew cab
There might be an obvious answer to this question... but here goes anyway

Key must be in ignition and switched to "on" for the "neutral, 4 down tow" selection to be made. Question is, can one get a "dummy key" made to do this job... that is, just the part of the key that slips into the ignition?

Thanks
Sponsored

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
Yes you can. I did that for my 2019 XLT.

RIRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you can. I did that for my 2019 XLT.
Where did you get this "dummy key"? Did you order it or just make a copy of your ignition key?

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
A local locksmith. Have to find one that has a laser cutter though.

OP
OP
salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A local locksmith. Have to find one that has a laser cutter though.
OK, key made, works it ignition.

So I called Roadmaster about all the parts I need for flat towing 4 down. Baseplate and tow bar, obviously, are central to the whole thing. But what was not clear to me was the rest, but I think I have it figured now?

So in addition to the base plate and a tow bar with receiver that goes into MH... one needs:

1. Some way to make tail lights on the Ranger work in concert with taillights of MH choices include:
a. wire kit with diodes that uses Ranger tail lights but protects it from voltage coming from MH
b. separate wire kit with its own lights to install in tail light housing of Ranger
c. "portable" tail lights on back of Ranger
2. Some way to apply brakes of Ranger when MH brakes with choices being
a. electrical powered actuators either permanent or portable
b. mechanical mechanism with surge brake
c. vacuum based systems
3. Some way to get power to Ranger battery from 7-pin on MH

Does this list "cover it" more or less???

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OK, key made, works it ignition.

So I called Roadmaster about all the parts I need for flat towing 4 down. Baseplate and tow bar, obviously, are central to the whole thing. But what was not clear to me was the rest, but I think I have it figured now?

So in addition to the base plate and a tow bar with receiver that goes into MH... one needs:

1. Some way to make tail lights on the Ranger work in concert with taillights of MH choices include:
a. wire kit with diodes that uses Ranger tail lights but protects it from voltage coming from MH
b. separate wire kit with its own lights to install in tail light housing of Ranger
c. "portable" tail lights on back of Ranger
2. Some way to apply brakes of Ranger when MH brakes with choices being
a. electrical powered actuators either permanent or portable
b. mechanical mechanism with surge brake
c. vacuum based systems
3. Some way to get power to Ranger battery from 7-pin on MH

Does this list "cover it" more or less???
Hi SF,

1a, 2a portable....3 not needed for me...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retried

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
I use a Towmate 22G wireless tow light. Transmitter plugs into the coach trailer plug. The light and transmitter need to be purchased with the correct connector on the coach; 4-pin, 6-pin or 7-pin. The system cost me $220. I was going to have the Roadmaster kit installed but the labor cost pushed the price to with $30 of the wireless system.

You don't say if you have a diesel pusher with air brakes or not. I do and use the Air Force One braking system. Install was challenging because of lack of space under the hood. I had to run an air line and wire into the cab and used the grommet above the driver's left foot. The same grommet used for a bundle of wires and the hood release cable.

OP
OP
salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use a Towmate 22G wireless tow light. Transmitter plugs into the coach trailer plug. The light and transmitter need to be purchased with the correct connector on the coach; 4-pin, 6-pin or 7-pin. The system cost me $220. I was going to have the Roadmaster kit installed but the labor cost pushed the price to with $30 of the wireless system.

You don't say if you have a diesel pusher with air brakes or not. I do and use the Air Force One braking system. Install was challenging because of lack of space under the hood. I had to run an air line and wire into the cab and used the grommet above the driver's left foot. The same grommet used for a bundle of wires and the hood release cable.
Ah yes... the compressed air system for diesels... i have a gasser so forgot about that option

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
SMI has the Stay in Play braking system. I've a friend that installed that system in his Honda CRV and really likes it. Much like the Air Force One you don't have to install anything every time you tow.
Sponsored