First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Depending on highway speeds, fuel mileage does suck. 65mph 17mpg, 75mph 15mpg, anything above that 13mpg. Just got back from 1,700 mile trip, just interstate speed limits. Tremor has 4,000 miles on it. Got a good dealer, visiting about service/recall on a F350 I got, asked about My Ranger, said to bring in and they would check the tuning/settings. Said they have had a couple not tuned correct from factory. Should be doing at least 20-23 mpg. Usually after tune/adjustment can get 5 mpg better.
I've heard of no such thing.

And this forum knows A LOT more about Rangers than virtually any dealership alive.

Tuned wrong? Unless they gave you the FP tune for free that really can't/doesn't happen. And that I'd highly unlikely.

99.9% positive your "good dealership" bold faced lied to you.
Sponsored

Tremot Trent

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Driver
I've heard of no such thing.

And this forum knows A LOT more about Rangers than virtually any dealership alive.

Tuned wrong? Unless they gave you the FP tune for free that really can't/doesn't happen. And that I'd highly unlikely.

99.9% positive your "good dealership" bold faced lied to you.
Like the “know it all” smugness. Guess should have said “chipped or programmed”. Same issue as a vehicle that has numerous driving modes. Numerous Hyundai Tucsons got upto 7mpg less, would stay programmed in “ sport” full time vs “smart”. Actually a warranty issue that was a recall. So, NOT “knowing it all”, figure I would let it get checked out. Not costing anything, given a loaner for the day.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Like the “know it all” smugness. Guess should have said “chipped or programmed”. Same issue as a vehicle that has numerous driving modes. Numerous Hyundai Tucsons got upto 7mpg less, would stay programmed in “ sport” full time vs “smart”. Actually a warranty issue that was a recall. So, NOT “knowing it all”, figure I would let it get checked out. Not costing anything, given a loaner for the day.
Kia also sells cars that catch fire going down the highway and can be stolen with a USB plug.

I'm not saying I know it all. But I am saying that this forum holds more Ranger specific knowledge than all the Ford dealerships combined. And I've read just about everything here.

Do you happen to have the printout from that service visit? It would be interesting to see what they actually did.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Thats nice, but that doesn't mean the Op is the same.
BTW, I would guess that you found out by hand calculating VS the indicated.
I didn't imply it was the same. Yes, hand calc.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was worse the first thousand miles. Afterthat it's been pretty consistent.:
Current tank:
IMG_0718.jpeg

Since oil change
IMG_0719.jpeg

Lifetime- I've never reset this tripmeter:
IMG_0720.jpeg

• I've used Motorcraft 5w30 semi synthetic oil (Quick Lane) exclusively. 87oct. E-10 fuel.
  • Truck is bone stock, SuperCab, FX4 pkg. STX SE pkg (18in wheels) with a soft roll up box cover.
  • Driving is mostly exurban/rural 55-65mph two lane w/25-45 mph small towns, with a little 70mph freeway and urban stop & go.
  • ASS almost always engaged.
  • Stock 265/60R18 Hankooks at recommended 30psi checked weekly w/dial gauge
  • All time best tankful: 31.3mpg US 6 eastbound thru Nebraska (downhill mostly)
  • All time worst tankful: 15.6mpg I-90 westbound thru SD 80mph, crosswind-headwind, and no load!
I try to coast more, break less, check tire psi often, easy acceleration; old semi driver habits.
I use the +/- buttons to keep the revs above 14-1500 RPM in town; I don't like the short shift calibration the 10R80 has. The most un-automatic transmission I've ever had.
Chris.....with those numbers I can tell you are having ZERO fun with your Ranger..... :wink:
BTW.....put a tune in that truck and you'll find out that 10R80 tranny is a beast and you'll get better gas mileage too.....

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
Mine was the same for 18 months. Was getting 18mpg. Then in spring time gas went up. Now, it's my wife that drives it most of the time & I had noticed she was a little hard on the pedal. I mentioned it to her but she got a little upset at me.... So, when the gas went up, she changed her driving method. Now she is very light on the gas off a stop sign & asap hits CC & do max speed 60mph.
We are now doing constant 23 mpg. This is 50/50 driving.
Stop & go is a killer.
It's heavy, will suck gas on take offs. Turbo fun does not help.
On a recent trip to LA, about 300 miles I averaged according to Ford 28 mpg. Driving around home I average 20 to 24 MPG. Pulling my small boat I average around 20 MPG. Pulling my tiny boat I do not notice any difference. The tiny bot weighs 600 pounds, the small boat weighs 2000 pounds. When I use the turbo you can almost see the fuel needle go down.

RickB

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Absolute Black Ranger
Occupation
Aviation
Have 600 miles on my Ranger....One tank fill so far, but I'm barely squeezing out 17MPG. I'm driving normal to conservative and was expecting much better gas mileage. Some of you are getting well over 20-22 MPG so I'm scratching my head here.
I have had several Ford Eco-Boost engines for 6 years. Once mileage gets above 20k mileage improves. I do a lot of highway driving and am getting 23-24 MPG. 2021 FX4 29K

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Forget about MPG , good or bad , I drive 100% in sport mode now , still get 19 and have fun coming and going , never saw a grave marker yet that bragged about gas milage , get busy living !
Forget about MPG , good or bad , I drive 100% in sport mode now , still get 19 and have fun coming and going , never saw a grave marker yet that bragged about gas milage , get busy living !
7D95E70D-8D67-47DC-B613-76B3B1DF00EF.jpeg

Cwalker

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
Occupation
Retired
Have 600 miles on my Ranger....One tank fill so far, but I'm barely squeezing out 17MPG. I'm driving normal to conservative and was expecting much better gas mileage. Some of you are getting well over 20-22 MPG so I'm scratching my head here.
I get 23. Mostly city.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
...I'm barely squeezing out 17MPG...
Wow, that's pretty low. I typically get around 20-22 in town, and 22 or more highway unless over 70. Mine seems happiest on mountain highways at around 60-70 where I'll get 25. We have little to no ethanol in our gas around here, so that may be a factor as well.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I track mine on the "fuelly" app. Mostly because change can indicate problems. Can't get much simpler than fuelly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15875

Mileage threads are pointless. Some go by the lie-o-meter, some hand calculate, some figure over an entire tank, some cherry pick the data.

Put gas in when it needs it. End of discussion.
Some are curious after having bought a new vehicle that advertises 20+mpg, plus all the posts here of many getting far better than 20MPG. Yeah, just put gas in it. OK, b/c you said so, and you are amazing?

Please don't try to dictate what other people should do or not do with their vehicles or how they should think. What a shallow POV. Your argument is like saying, why bother going to college, you'll never use those skills. Something tells me you haven't b/c you know better.
Sponsored