New Ranger Flat Towing?

Discussion in 'General Ford Ranger Discussions' started by Droid_Junky, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang
    New guy here. I purchased a class C motorhome a while back and have been impatiently waiting for more info on the new Ranger. I haven't seen any specific info about flat towing. Will Ford make flat towing as easy as a 4WD F150?

2. Raptor Rick

Raptor Rick Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    Hoping for US Ranger Raptor
    I haven't read anything in any literature about the new Ranger that mentions flat towing yet. I know the previous gen Ranger 4x4 model which stopped production in 2011 could be flat towed fairly easy. Would be surprised if that wasn't the case with the new Ranger, especially since they made the 4WD F-150 easy.

3. Xfitter

Xfitter Active Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle(s):
    Focus ST
    The towing capacity of the 1994 one maxed out at 5760 pounds. I know because I had one for many years. It finally died out a few years ago. I would imagine it to be around 5000 or 6000 pounds. I have seen any statement on it to know for sure.

Roger likes this.
  4. Roger

Roger Member

First Name:
    Roger
    Vehicle(s):
    1990 Bronco, 2015 Renegade
    Isn't the standard for most trucks like 5,000 anyways? We are talking about a powerhouse. That is like a weak truck.

The RAM 3500 works on a 6.7-liter engine and that beast can tow 30,000 pounds.

The F-150 with a 3.5-liter turbocharged EcoBoost V6 can tows 11,300 pounds.

It is going to be at least able to tow 10,000 here.

Xfitter likes this.
  5. OwenL

OwenL Member

Vehicle(s):
    13 Mustang GT
    I think OP is talking about flat towing the Ranger behind his motorhome, not the Ranger towing something.

Droid_Junky likes this.
  6. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang
    I did mean behind a motorhome. I have an old Tacoma that can only be flat towed with a driveshaft disconnect or transmission lube pump. That's easily an extra 1K expense on top of the 1500 to 2000 for everything else required to setup the Tacoma. I don't really want to spend that much on a 11 year old truck. I've put off modifying the Tacoma until next year. Hoping the new Ranger is as easy as the 4wd F150 to setup.

Xfitter likes this.
  7. Xfitter

Xfitter Active Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle(s):
    Focus ST
    Ah right. I would imagine it is able to do this. I get not wanting to invest in an old truck. It would likely be worth it more to invest in a new one that can handle your needs and have it for many years over a few more years.

8. chappy61750

chappy61750 Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    09 Escape & 16 Explorer
    Found a download of the new Ranger manual which describes the sequence to follow to enable it to be towed 4 on the ground behind a motor home.So it is possible.

Carl, Blumentalist and Pinecrestjim like this.
  9. Carl

Carl Member

Vehicle(s):
    Foretravel U270
    I found the same instructions in the 2019 Ranger manual....It does look like it will work 4 down behind our diesel pusher (currently we tow a 2005 Honda CR-V which works great (4 x 4 only)). Hopefully a base plate will be coming out soon. My plan is to eventually replace the CR-V with a 4 x 4 Ranger with rack for kayak and motorcycle in the bed...solving 2 problems with one vehicle. Unfortunately the Ranger is quite a bit heavier than the CR-V but our Cuming 300 HP will handle it. You could do the same with the new Jeep Gladiator p/u however the reliability of the Jeep has a bad reputation and we were told to AVOID them. Anyone ever flat towed a F150 4 x 4 four down....procedure for getting the electronic transfer case looks the same as the 2019 Ranger?

kep likes this.