New Ranger Flat Towing?

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
New guy here. I purchased a class C motorhome a while back and have been impatiently waiting for more info on the new Ranger. I haven't seen any specific info about flat towing. Will Ford make flat towing as easy as a 4WD F150?
Sponsored

Raptor Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping for US Ranger Raptor
New guy here. I purchased a class C motorhome a while back and have been impatiently waiting for more info on the new Ranger. I haven't seen any specific info about flat towing. Will Ford make flat towing as easy as a 4WD F150?
I haven't read anything in any literature about the new Ranger that mentions flat towing yet. I know the previous gen Ranger 4x4 model which stopped production in 2011 could be flat towed fairly easy. Would be surprised if that wasn't the case with the new Ranger, especially since they made the 4WD F-150 easy.

Xfitter

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
The towing capacity of the 1994 one maxed out at 5760 pounds. I know because I had one for many years. It finally died out a few years ago. I would imagine it to be around 5000 or 6000 pounds. I have seen any statement on it to know for sure.

Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco, 2015 Renegade
The towing capacity of the 1994 one maxed out at 5760 pounds. I know because I had one for many years. It finally died out a few years ago. I would imagine it to be around 5000 or 6000 pounds. I have seen any statement on it to know for sure.
Isn't the standard for most trucks like 5,000 anyways? We are talking about a powerhouse. That is like a weak truck.

The RAM 3500 works on a 6.7-liter engine and that beast can tow 30,000 pounds.

The F-150 with a 3.5-liter turbocharged EcoBoost V6 can tows 11,300 pounds.

It is going to be at least able to tow 10,000 here.

OP
OP
Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I did mean behind a motorhome. I have an old Tacoma that can only be flat towed with a driveshaft disconnect or transmission lube pump. That's easily an extra 1K expense on top of the 1500 to 2000 for everything else required to setup the Tacoma. I don't really want to spend that much on a 11 year old truck. I've put off modifying the Tacoma until next year. Hoping the new Ranger is as easy as the 4wd F150 to setup.

Xfitter

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
I did mean behind a motorhome. I have an old Tacoma that can only be flat towed with a driveshaft disconnect or transmission lube pump. That's easily an extra 1K expense on top of the 1500 to 2000 for everything else required to setup the Tacoma. I don't really want to spend that much on a 11 year old truck. I've put off modifying the Tacoma until next year. Hoping the new Ranger is as easy as the 4wd F150 to setup.
Ah right. I would imagine it is able to do this. I get not wanting to invest in an old truck. It would likely be worth it more to invest in a new one that can handle your needs and have it for many years over a few more years.

Carl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Foretravel U270
I found the same instructions in the 2019 Ranger manual....It does look like it will work 4 down behind our diesel pusher (currently we tow a 2005 Honda CR-V which works great (4 x 4 only)). Hopefully a base plate will be coming out soon. My plan is to eventually replace the CR-V with a 4 x 4 Ranger with rack for kayak and motorcycle in the bed...solving 2 problems with one vehicle. Unfortunately the Ranger is quite a bit heavier than the CR-V but our Cuming 300 HP will handle it. You could do the same with the new Jeep Gladiator p/u however the reliability of the Jeep has a bad reputation and we were told to AVOID them. Anyone ever flat towed a F150 4 x 4 four down....procedure for getting the electronic transfer case looks the same as the 2019 Ranger?

Reactions: kep
OP
OP
Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
If anyone else is interested in flat towing their new Ranger behind their RV's and lives near Vancouver WA you could possibly get a free baseplate from Roadmaster. They need a Ranger to get measurements to build a new baseplate. It could save someone 400-600 dollars.

Info is here: https://fitmaster.roadmasterinc.com/fitmaster-results/?years=2019&make=FORD&model=RANGER+PICK-UP

I suspect there are other manufacturers doing the same thing but haven't found any close to my area.

Bsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4
If anyone else is interested in flat towing their new Ranger behind their RV's and lives near Vancouver WA you could possibly get a free baseplate from Roadmaster. They need a Ranger to get measurements to build a new baseplate. It could save someone 400-600 dollars.

Info is here: https://fitmaster.roadmasterinc.com/fitmaster-results/?years=2019&make=FORD&model=RANGER+PICK-UP

I suspect there are other manufacturers doing the same thing but haven't found any close to my area.
I contacted Blue Ox. They said they were waiting for a customer to take delivery of their truck for the same fit design. I have been looking for an aftermarket bumper with D rings i could adapt. All i can find is ADDs bumper. They told me it wasnt rated to tow. Hoping someone builds one soon.

OP
OP
Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
You would think that with the insane price tag on those ADD bumpers it would at least be rated to tow a vehicle that's essentially in neutral... I'm in no big hurry to get mine setup but would like to get it done by June. Hopefully, we have some options in a few months.

sjeagles

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Occupation
Public Safety
Vehicle Showcase
I am very excited that the Ranger is flat towable, presently I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that I flattow and really miss having a pickup! I keep checking BlueOx website to see if they have a baseplate yet so I can pull the plug on the Ranger!

OP
OP
Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I've been checking the sites as well. From what I've found there appears to only be three baseplate makers. Not counting aftermarket bumpers. Roadmaster, BlueOx, and Demco are the only three that I have found. Am I missing a manufacturer?

sjeagles

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Occupation
Public Safety
Vehicle Showcase
I've been checking the sites as well. From what I've found there appears to only be three baseplate makers. Not counting aftermarket bumpers. Roadmaster, BlueOx, and Demco are the only three that I have found. Am I missing a manufacturer?
They are the big ones I am aware of. This is a good resource for Dinghy towing: http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Both BlueOx and Roadmaster are looking for Rangers to make baseplates.
Sponsored