DelGuy

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercrew 4x4
Hi All,

I’m in the process of researching new trucks and am considering the Ranger I come from a Ford family. I’ve seen a lot of useful info here, but have a few questions about the Ranger. I’m hoping to make a move within the next month and am looking forward to getting my first truck

1. How big are the backseats in the super crew? I have a young baby so want to make sure a car seat fits and possibly a second car seat down the road.
2. Is the FX4 package worth it? I don’t do any off-roading but might want to take the truck to the drive on beaches in Delaware. Is the standard 4x4 able to handle this?
3. How reliable is the 2.3 EcoBoost? I really like the Ranger and want to own the truck for awhile if i get it, so want to make sure the engine will last for the long haul.
4. How nice is the 300A package on XLT? I don’t need all the bells and whistles but wouldn’t mind a few tech goodies.
5. Given the current climate, are dealers in a hurry to sell/make a good deal? I can get X plan through my work but will that be about as good of a deal that I should expect? Not sure what Ford plans on doing for any Labor Day deals.

Sorry for the long winded post, that covers my concerns. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Welcome! I can’t answer all your questions but I can tell you car seats fit just fine. I have my daughter rear-facing in a Graco Extend2fit seat and there is plenty of room ahead of her in the front seat. It would also fit behind the drivers seat. I could still sit in the front but I’d say if you’re much over 6’ it could get a little tight.

The FX4 package is priced very reasonably for what you get, considering the locking axle alone takes up about 1/3 of that price (Here in Canada but could be different south of the border).

The 2.3 as well as other Ford Ecoboosts are proving very reliable so far!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi All,

I’m in the process of researching new trucks and am considering the Ranger I come from a Ford family. I’ve seen a lot of useful info here, but have a few questions about the Ranger. I’m hoping to make a move within the next month and am looking forward to getting my first truck

1. How big are the backseats in the super crew? I have a young baby so want to make sure a car seat fits and possibly a second car seat down the road.
2. Is the FX4 package worth it? I don’t do any off-roading but might want to take the truck to the drive on beaches in Delaware. Is the standard 4x4 able to handle this?
3. How reliable is the 2.3 EcoBoost? I really like the Ranger and want to own the truck for awhile if i get it, so want to make sure the engine will last for the long haul.
4. How nice is the 300A package on XLT? I don’t need all the bells and whistles but wouldn’t mind a few tech goodies.
5. Given the current climate, are dealers in a hurry to sell/make a good deal? I can get X plan through my work but will that be about as good of a deal that I should expect? Not sure what Ford plans on doing for any Labor Day deals.

The back seat is pretty roomy. When my parents were here they both commented that it was comfortable back there and more room than my '16 Tacoma.

As Bret already said the 4x4 will be more than enough for the beaches.

The 2.3 is a very good motor and the tranny is super smooth. One of the best drivetrain combos I've ever owned! The 2.3 has been out for many years and even though it's only a 4cyl it has plenty of power.

Not sure on the 300A,I have the 501 pkg

Right now there aren't many deals out there because of low inventory when the factory was shut down. I doubt there will be many deals come Labor Day but if you're not in a hurry just wait a few more weeks and see. You can always use the x plan if not. Good luck!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

I will give my opinions/experiences on your questions:
  1. I have never put a carseat back there, but passengers who have ridden back there are impressed with the space. It isn't like an F-150, but it is comfortable for a long drive I think. Others may have better experiences with car seats.
  2. If all you want to do is drive on the beaches, normal 4x4 is probably sufficient. FX4 has the Terrain Management function that is pretty cool, but that is probably for stuff you won't do. There is a "sand mode", but I think it is more intended for sand dunes. The only thing I'd say about the FX4 is that if the truck you are looking at has it, I would drive it as well as a standard 4x4 to see what you think of the ride. I love how my FX4 rides, but not everyone shares that opinion.
  3. I've got almost 15,000 miles on my truck and had zero issues. The 2.3 is essentially the same as what is in the Mustang and some Explorers - it has a good track record. The Ranger motor is slightly different, but is basically the same engine.
  4. I have a pretty loaded Lariat so I can't really talk to the 300 package on an XLT. I love the goodies on my Lariat.
  5. This is tough - some dealers seem to be short inventory so are not willing to deal (even on 2019s which is crazy to me since those are almost 2 model years old at this point). I used X Plan to order mine, which worked out really well for me. I got exactly what I wanted, I just had to wait 4 months. I think the wait time would be less now.
Sorry for the long winded response. If you haven't test driven one yet, I would highly recommend it. I absolutely love my Ranger - if I had it to do all over again, I'd order exactly what I did again. I have zero regrets and this is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

Good luck in your search.

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
Hi All,

Just picked up my 2020 XLT today. Ordered from Koons in Baltimore in late May. Got $6000+ off with Ford finance at about 7% but I’m refinancing at about 2%. Military, Xplan and dealer incentives. Look on their website. They basically gave me the same discount as they were offering on in stock units. Ask for Del. We did everything by mostly text and email, some phone. Went well. I’m in LSD by Bethany beach. Seeing more and more Rangers down here. Magnetic, Blue, White, Black and my only Iconic Silver with Sport pkg, 302a, SuperCab, 2wd, Tow, Rear Locker. Ride home even with overinflated tires was fine. Getting used to the auto shutoff, auto dimming head lights, misc buttons.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
We had no problem fitting two carseats (plus a booster!), though the ones we use are on the small side. If you're worried about it, the dealer shouldn't have any issue with you doing a test fit.
4x4 will handle the beach. Whether FX4 is worth it is completely a judgement call. For me, it wasn't. For some others on the forum, it's worth it just for the decal.
I was a little worried about this before I started doing any research. Checking F-150 forums helped ease my anxiety; the ecoboost technology has been well proven in those trucks. I also checked with my dad who has a mustang with the 2.3 ecoboost, and he has had no issues so far.
Another judgement call. I have an XL with 101A and am perfectly happy with it, but I also like things simple.
I don't think dealers or Ford have a lot of incentive to make a good deal since Ranger inventory is still pretty badly impacted by the COVID shutdown. When I checked their website recently, my local dealer was down to just two Rangers. I wouldn't expect Labor Day to be much better than now for Ford incentives.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Just picked up my 2020 XLT today. Ordered from Koons in Baltimore in late May. Got $6000+ off with Ford finance at about 7% but I’m refinancing at about 2%. Military, Xplan and dealer incentives. Look on their website. They basically gave me the same discount as they were offering on in stock units. Ask for Del. We did everything by mostly text and email, some phone. Went well. I’m in LSD by Bethany beach. Seeing more and more Rangers down here. Magnetic, Blue, White, Black and my only Iconic Silver with Sport pkg, 302a, SuperCab, 2wd, Tow, Rear Locker. Ride home even with overinflated tires was fine. Getting used to the auto shutoff, auto dimming head lights, misc buttons.
Congrats Roger from LSD !!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave LOL!! LSD is for lower slower Delaware as compared to fast paced northern Delaware.
I figured it had something to do with DE. :) But then again you were in that era. Darn so was I.:facepalm:

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have the 301A package and like it for the power folding mirrors. But I have a small garage so I use them everyday. I think you need at least 301A for automatic climate control and the Sync3 with 8" LCD as well that can use Apple Carplay or Android Auto. I use those features a lot as well. The auto dimming review mirror is also a nice touch.

OP
OP
DelGuy

DelGuy

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercrew 4x4
Thanks all for the replies! You guys have definitely helped to ease my concerns with the Ranger. This thread helps tremendously in my search!
Nothing like good old LSD lol! I’m in fast paced New Castle County where everyone’s always in a rush.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I’m in S Bethany right now. We vacation here off & on all summer.
Sponsored