First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Real Estate
I wonder what aftermarket charge pipes will work with it.
I've heard that mishimotos intercooler won't fit nicely with other charge pipes, i.e. AFE.
I could be mistaken though.

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
I wonder what aftermarket charge pipes will work with it.
I've heard that mishimotos intercooler won't fit nicely with other charge pipes, i.e. AFE.
I could be mistaken though.
Mishimoto charge pipes reuse the factory intercooler couplings. I don’t see how there intercooler would not play nicely with other charge pipe fabricators. Perhaps you have the wrong culprit in mind.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
What I'm reading (besides the article's pitch for Livernois' tuning) is there is more flow to their intercooler over stock=lower temps=more horsepower. Pretty sure that would apply to any replacement IC yet has that been shown?

It makes sense at face value but I'd expect that - besides a tune - there would need to be other mechanical upgrades in addition.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Intercoolers don't make more power, they cool the air coming from the turbo so the ECU doesn't pull timing which reduces power. A good intercooler will allow the tune to be more aggressive which will make more power.

The intercooler that the factory uses on the Ecoboost Mustang is woefully undersize. Even after one 0 to 60 run it is overwhelmed heat soaks and no longer effectively cools the charge and the power drops off dramatically. The concensus is you need to upgrade the intercooler before making any other performance mods.

The Ranger intercooler is significantly larger than the Mustangs. In the short time I have had my Ranger I have not experienced any heat soak. I would think that in the case of the Ranger it is not as important to upgrade it.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How is this claim of "80% colder than stock" calculated? Are they using Fahrenheit, Celsius, or perhaps from absolute zero? Hmmm

OP
OP
Gsxrdoug

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
How is this claim of "80% colder than stock" calculated? Are they using Fahrenheit, Celsius, or perhaps from absolute zero? Hmmm
No Idea.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
With a front grill that maximizes airflow over the intercooler (like the one in my avatar) I consistently log ACT temps only 7 deg over IAT. From a cooling perspective, the factory Ranger intercooler is very efficient when max airflow is achieved over its surface area.

Mishimoto found minimal temp drop on its intercooler too (they published the data). The only way they made more power was adding on the intercooler pipes. This shows that the intercooler can prove to be a restriction to the intake path, and letting things breath easier between the turbo and throttle body is beneficial. So to gain any real benefit from an aftermarket intercooler it needs to be paired up with some bigger aftermarket charge pipes. But again, the power addition is not from IC cooling efficiency, but from flow efficiency.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Questioning the validity of the claim and the process?
As for units, it doesn’t matter. They could use MTTU (monkey testicle thermal units). Units are units and math is math.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
The direct quote is " increases cooling capability 80 percent over the stock Ford Ranger setup". If they are saying they managed to increase thermal efficiency of that system by 80%, I would really like to see that data. That is a substantial increase in cooling capacity.

I'm a bit perplexed at the demand for aftermarket intercoolers for these trucks. To my knowledge, no one has effectively demonstrated a need. Because this is a truck, Ford could not skimp on the charge cooler. In towing situations these engines can be exposed to long periods of sustained boost. If the charge cooler was inadequate, these engines would eventually start suffering from temp creep and would end up overheating. 3 years in and I haven't seen any reports of this.

Not to say that improvements can't be made, but with these $600+ units are you actually getting? Better 1/4 mile times, quicker 0-60, better towing performance, better passing performance? At some point all this theory has to manifest into some tangible performance benefit, and you would sale a lot more product if you could clearly demonstrate this benefit. Mishimoto is the only company I've seen post some actual coherent data, and it was honestly underwhelming.

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
With a front grill that maximizes airflow over the intercooler (like the one in my avatar) I consistently log ACT temps only 7 deg over IAT. From a cooling perspective, the factory Ranger intercooler is very efficient when max airflow is achieved over its surface area.

Mishimoto found minimal temp drop on its intercooler too (they published the data). The only way they made more power was adding on the intercooler pipes. This shows that the intercooler can prove to be a restriction to the intake path, and letting things breath easier between the turbo and throttle body is beneficial. So to gain any real benefit from an aftermarket intercooler it needs to be paired up with some bigger aftermarket charge pipes. But again, the power addition is not from IC cooling efficiency, but from flow efficiency.
What grill are you running?

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
What if I said that bigger charge pipes were the real bang for the buck and that buying an IC after that is a lot of money for little gain, what would you guys argue? *sips coffee*

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
What if I said that bigger charge pipes were the real bang for the buck and that buying an IC after that is a lot of money for little gain, what would you guys argue? *sips coffee*
Mishimoto has the data on bigger charge pipes posted on their website. So does aFe.