Sponsored

New Ford Bronco will feature aluminum body?

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You guys think the Bronco 6 will be aluminum bodied like the F-150 (and the rest of the F-series eventually)?
Sponsored

Tour18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4, Porsche 993tt, Vette GS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a feeling aluminum is not only here to stay, it is here to take over. I'm surprised it took so long...

Kris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion
You guys think the Bronco 6 will be aluminum bodied like the F-150 (and the rest of the F-series eventually)?
I have a feeling aluminum is not only here to stay, it is here to take over. I'm surprised it took so long...
The rest of the F-series will get aluminum bodies soon so it will probably spread to the rest of the truck lineup. Question is if it spreads to SUVs too, and what Ford will categorize the 2020 Bronco as...

fourbyfour

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For what it's worth they were aiming for extremely light weight with the 04 Bronco concept. It weighed only 3100 pounds. Granted I would expect a new Bronco won't be quite as stripped down and no frills as what they created for the concept.

All the investment in the all aluminum body F150 has to start trickling down to help achieve CAFE by means other than powerplant engineering and by 2020 my guess is most of Ford's line up with have to make use of aluminum in significant ways.

Ocelot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For what it's worth they were aiming for extremely light weight with the 04 Bronco concept. It weighed only 3100 pounds. Granted I would expect a new Bronco won't be quite as stripped down and no frills as what they created for the concept.

All the investment in the all aluminum body F150 has to start trickling down to help achieve CAFE by means other than powerplant engineering and by 2020 my guess is most of Ford's line up with have to make use of aluminum in significant ways.
That is surprisingly light. What chassis was it built on at the time do you know?

Also anyone know how many pounds were shaved off the F150 by going aluminum body?

Sponsored

Tommmay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI Countryman
I was always under impression that aluminum is harder to fix and repair than traditional steel. Any truth to that?

fourbyfour

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That is surprisingly light. What chassis was it built on at the time do you know?

Also anyone know how many pounds were shaved off the F150 by going aluminum body?
It was supposed to ride on the compact SUV CD2 platform same as the Escape. In some ways it's better for a clean slate this time around it should be Body on Frame.

I don't know the exact weight savings for the F150 but it was huge.. something like 700 LBS i wanna say.

Ocelot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It was supposed to ride on the compact SUV CD2 platform same as the Escape. In some ways it's better for a clean slate this time around it should be Body on Frame.

I don't know the exact weight savings for the F150 but it was huge.. something like 700 LBS i wanna say.
So the concept wasn't BOF? Eww. Good thing they didn't make it then. Glad they're bringing back the Bronco to be based on the Ranger this time so we can get BOF construction.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The rest of the F-series will get aluminum bodies soon so it will probably spread to the rest of the truck lineup. Question is if it spreads to SUVs too, and what Ford will categorize the 2020 Bronco as...
As I understand it, the Super Duties are getting the new aluminum F150 bodies for 2017.
Look for steep discounts on 2016 Super Duties this summer!
I had thought some parts of the Expedition have been alum. for awhile now. Lift gates seems to come to mind.

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base

Yea the difference between the 2014 F-150 and new aluminum 2015 F-150 was about 700 pounds as revealed by Ford, but this weight reduction was for the biggest/heaviest F-150 model and not all of the weight saving came from the new aluminum construction. Some weight reduction also came from a lighter undercarriage and lighter interior materials. In any case, what they learned from making the F-150 lighter can be applied to the 6th gen Bronco too, along with any further weight reducing technologies they develop in the next few years before Bronco production starts.

Sponsored

Bronco Logic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 King Ranch, 96 White Sport, 76 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In addition to the above comments, Ford has purchased a large number of Aluminum manufacturing plants in order to fulfill their requirements but also to limit Chevrolet's. Ford has positioned itself to have a stranglehold on the aluminum for automobile manufacturing.

Ocelot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A lot of this will depend on the make up of the next Ranger. I doubt the Bronco will get a lot of aluminum if the Ranger doesn't. In fact I'd expect the Ranger to get most of the good stuff with some trickle down later in the Bronco's life.

Alex77789

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Yea the difference between the 2014 F-150 and new aluminum 2015 F-150 was about 700 pounds as revealed by Ford, but this weight reduction was for the biggest/heaviest F-150 model and not all of the weight saving came from the new aluminum construction. Some weight reduction also came from a lighter undercarriage and lighter interior materials. In any case, what they learned from making the F-150 lighter can be applied to the 6th gen Bronco too, along with any further weight reducing technologies they develop in the next few years before Bronco production starts.
I agree with you!

OP
OP
Mustang313

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well the new rumor is the next gen Ford EXPEDITION is going to have an aluminum body.

Granted it will most likely be built on the F-150's bones and significantly more expensive than the Bronco but hopefully it trickles down from the higher end trucks and SUV's.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well the new rumor is the next gen Ford Explorer is going to have an aluminum body.

Granted it will most likely be built on the F-150's bones and significantly more expensive than the Bronco but hopefully it trickles down from the higher end trucks and SUV's.
Explorer built on the F-150 bones?
I thought it was the Expedition built off the F-150 platform and the Explorer had been built off the Ranger platform. That was the past , and I have to plead ignorance about the current Explorer platform compared to the F-150.
Sponsored