New '23 SC - need tow package

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
My plan was to order a new Ranger maybe next spring. I'll admit I have not been following the Ranger development that closely and was unaware that a new gen was coming out in '24. I wanted an Extended cab as I find a 5' bed too short to be useful and don't really need 4 full doors. 6' is at least a better length. I am coming from an 8' bed F250 but looking to downsize while still maintaining a decent level of utility. And then I found out Ford went and discontinued the Extended cab for 2024.
mad.gif
Jerks. So I scrambled around to find one of the few remaining 2023's that I could and ended up getting one out of state as I really wanted heated seats (very hard to find in this model on the SC) and the tow package.... Well I got one out of 2. Couldn't find one with both so I ended up with only heated seats.

So I was referred to this site from someone on another forum and have been reading a lot to catch up. My plan is to add the Ford OEM hitch and the Ford version of the Redarc TBC system. I have some "Ford bux" in my FordPass account from the Ranger purchase to help offset part of this.

One question is if I can use those Ford dollars at the dealer or if I have to use them online only. Anyone know?

Next up, based on my research here, it looks like I need to buy the following to get the hitch, trailer plug-in and brake controller:

• KB3Z19D520A - RANGER 2019-2023 TRAILER HITCH 2" RECEIVER
  • FU5Z-14489-A - connector sleeve/7 and 4 pin connector
  • KB3Z-15K868-D - wiring harness (remove existing wiring harness/4 pin plug and replace with new harness). I have the rear parking sensors on mine.
  • VKB3Z2C006A - RANGER 2019-2023 TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL TOWING PACK 2

So of course the main question is "is this it, and am I missing anything?" I do have the 4 wires under the dash that I have already confirmed and have read all about the fun of the TBC needing to access the CHMSL light for signal. It looks like the large connector at the rear near the bumper has all the needed wires, I just need to swap out the bumper harness for the above.

Thanks!
-Dave

A couple pics...
Ranger Russ (1) (Large).jpg
Ranger Russ (2) (Large).jpg
Sponsored

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired Military
I'm doing the exact same project on my 2023. So here's my experience so far.

Your parts list mirrors mine.

The hitch swap is going to take a full day (the rear sensor package makes one take time to proceed more slowly and intentionally!).

The TBC installation doesn't appear to be too hard to do (there's a good video out there that walks through the entire process; I'll post the link if I can find it).

Yes, I used my FordPass points at the local dealership to buy parts for this project. As simple asfing for the account number and writing it up as a service order. Even got a discount off MSRP. YMMV

P.S. Re: previous post. I love Levittown Ford. They're always really helpful. But the shipping costs almost always make the final bill more expensive than if I just buy from my local dealer. Again, YMMV.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Why the Ford OEM receiver? An aftermarket will do just as fine. From My understanding is that if the truck didn't have the hitch from factory, you may have to cut into the bumper trim for the receiver.
Also, if you didn't know, a factory tow package didn't include the TBC. So, you would have had to install that anyway.
And as for Ford points, I was under the impression that they couldn't be used online, only at the dealership. But Levittown may be able to help you there. They have the lowest prices.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
And then I found out Ford went and discontinued the Extended cab for 2024.
mad.gif
Jerks.
Well, I know it's moot since you bought a 23, but the scab should be back. A 6G scab has been spotted in the wild. I guess that doesn't mean they still won't scrap it, but I think it will make it back into the line soon. I won't buy a 6G if there is no scab.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Why the Ford OEM receiver? An aftermarket will do just as fine. From My understanding is that if the truck didn't have the hitch from factory, you may have to cut into the bumper trim for the receiver.
I did this install, and went with the OEM one as it tucks up the cleanest to the bumper. Aftermarket ones all hang lower, and to me don't look as nice. You don't actually have to cut the factory bumper, you get new trim pieces to give that flush look.

That being said, there are a lot of push clips in the factory bumper that you have to remove, and it really wasn't intended to come back apart so it will take quite a bit of time to get them apart without damaging them.

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired Military
I did this install, and went with the OEM one as it tucks up the cleanest to the bumper. Aftermarket ones all hang lower, and to me don't look as nice.
^^^ ABSOLUTELY THIS ^^^

That being said, there are a lot of push clips in the factory bumper that you have to remove, and it really wasn't intended to come back apart so it will take quite a bit of time to get them apart without damaging them.
^^^ And definitely this ^^^

You don't actually have to cut the factory bumper, you get new trim pieces to give that flush look.
Hoping to avoid having to buy them, but will if needs must.

reidmefirst

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Computer stuff
Aftermarket hitch is a lot easier to install, and will have a higher tongue weight (asterisk). I've got a Reese hitch with a 1125 pound tongue weight. 'course I'll never exceed 750 or so on the tongue, but nice to know it's available. Not really clear to me if Reese's rating supersedes Ford's rating, so I'd err on the side of the lower weight if you're the cautious sort, but I think there is some wiggle room in interpretation there.

A benefit to the aftermarket receiver is that it is a few inches lower than the factory one. The Ranger bumper is so. Danged. High. I use an adjustable drop hitch and have to move it down a lot to work with my trailer. I'd probably be at the bottom adjustment with the factory hitch.

Parts look spot on though. I bought my scab used and it had a Reese hitch installed, but no 7 pin harness. So I bought FU5Z-14489-A and KB3Z-15K868-D and installed them. I have not yet installed the trailer brake controller though, my boat trailer has surge brakes and will get to it if and when I ever switch out for electric brakes.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Last edited:

jmelair

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
retired
And as for Ford points, I was under the impression that they couldn't be used online, only at the dealership. But Levittown may be able to help you there. They have the lowest prices.
nah, I used my Ford points online, got a couple goodies for my p'up. Just had to pay for shipping. If you have to buy something, definitely reach out to Ben at Levittown, he was a big help when I was looking for a couple obscure items.

OP
OP
dstig1

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
Wow. Great responses. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Answers to questions:
- Why not aftermarket? I just want it to be OEM, and the fact that it tucks in better is a plus. Not worried about the drop ht as I am coming from an F250 (wanna talk about HIGH?!?!). Plus I have some FordBux(TM) to burn.
- On the Need to add TBC: Well, I have figured this out now but it was a surprise to me. I figured in this day and age, the tow package in a modern truck made by the biggest freakin' light truck maker would have a integrated TBC, but no. Live and learn. I just never noticed that the tow package didn't actually say "TBC included" anywhere... You know what they say about ASS-u-ME ...

Thanks for the answer on using points at dealer. I will check with my local dealer and see what they look like on pricing. I will also contact Ben at Levittown

And thank you for the hitch install instructions. That is much more involved than I expected, but no biggie. Hardest part will probably be lowering and raising it into place on the truck. I have a basic scissors-style tranny jack that should fit the bill perfectly for doing that. Funny how they want you to glue the bumper ball cover back in place. Once I have it out, I can deal with the harness easier. I can set the bumper on the tractor forks and work at any height I want.

Still pretty sure I will have to cut out the opening for the 7/4 pin plug in the bumper trim, but I can see the outline they left embossed into the back side of the plastic, so should be simple enough.

Well, I know it's moot since you bought a 23, but the scab should be back. A 6G scab has been spotted in the wild. I guess that doesn't mean they still won't scrap it, but I think it will make it back into the line soon. I won't buy a 6G if there is no scab.
Well dayum... I might have waited if I knew that was coming (is it really???) but overall this one will do nicely once I sort out the towing bits. I don't use my truck a ton, but I plan to use this more in the winter and keep my nice car out of the salt more (not 100% but maybe 80% of the time) so I will put more miles on this one than I was putting on the F250. That thing was just so dang big and horrible to drive that I only used it when desperate. Also it was 19 yrs old and rusting apart so needed to go... But I suspect this will be the last truck I buy, barring some cataclysm.

Thanks again. I'll post some updates as I get it done, but it may be a few weeks until that happens. Or even next spring. Not sure yet.
-Dave

reidmefirst

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Computer stuff
Still pretty sure I will have to cut out the opening for the 7/4 pin plug in the bumper trim, but I can see the outline they left embossed into the back side of the plastic, so should be simple enough.
One thing to note, when you cut it out make sure to cut on the OUTSIDE of the outline. If you cut the inside of the outline, there will be too much plastic left (the plug clips to the metal bumper backing).

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
nah, I used my Ford points online, got a couple goodies for my p'up. Just had to pay for shipping. If you have to buy something, definitely reach out to Ben at Levittown, he was a big help when I was looking for a couple obscure items.
If you are willing to pick them up at a dealer they can ship them for free. Ship to your house casts money

OP
OP
dstig1

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
One thing to note, when you cut it out make sure to cut on the OUTSIDE of the outline. If you cut the inside of the outline, there will be too much plastic left (the plug clips to the metal bumper backing).
Thanks for that!