Need help on widening the stance

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
My suggestion. Wait until the current tires wear outh then get 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT'S. Why you ask? Well for one they are much better overall compared to the general grabbers and KO2's.(not a lie belive it or not) second with the current set up you will get what you want and not have to use spacers or buy new wheels!! Crash bars will be fine. All you have to do is remove the plastic gaurs up front and shove the bars forward. After that you are golden!!
just curious on how you’re so confident the dest xts are better? Ive been researching a lot online and almost no one mentions them.

IcemanSTX

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
yeah I wanted to be sure. If I buy rims then they don’t fit, then have to buy spacers, then uca’s Etc. It ends up burning a hole in the wallet. The lift, tires and nurf bars set me back 3k. The wife is starting to catch on lol.
Lol, there are only so many times you can say "but honey, it will be safer with this part on my truck"

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
just curious on how you’re so confident the dest xts are better? Ive been researching a lot online and almost no one mentions them.
Part of why you don't see much of them is the fact that they are still a new tire. Also lets face it, back it the 90's with the whole Ford Exploder and firestone tires mishap not many people go for the firestone name. Also the new vehicles that get Bridgestone or firestone tires have a shitty compound that wears out too fast(not a fan of that myself).

Why am I confident in them over the KO2's and General grabbers? Well to start off with the general grabbers are just a knockoff of the KO2. I did have one set of general grabbers on my old 1992 nissan pathfinder(still miss it by the way). When I went offroad it seemed to do fine. I didnt really try to push it to the limits as I was still learning and the pathfinder had a bunch of other issues to say the least. On road traction was ok but then again its not a set of wrinkled wall Hoosiers ready for the drag strip LOL. For wet traction I was unable to say because at the time the snow was already here but I can say that the lack of water sipes do not promote wet tration very well. Snow and ice on the otherhand...... Fucking horrible...... So horrible that it caused me to go into a rollover with the pathfinder(not a fun experience and definitely a 1 star rating. Dont recommend).

The KO2 does have a little bit better water sipping but not by much. Also once again its an all terrain that is really mean more for summer conditions over winter(not saying it can't, just not geared towards it). Also as a misconception it is a popular tire, not a great tire. Even though it is popular for fair reason it has limits.

For the Firestone Destination XT it is a while different ball game here!! To say the least it is such a nice tire I had my work spend the money to have it installed on my service van(mind you its 2WD). For dry traction it does well for an all terrain. With the Ranger I can still spin but then again if you dont have weight in the back you can do it with most tires. I should also mention that when inflated correctly there is not tire noise on the HWY. That is hard to come by with select all terrain tires and basically all mud terrains. Wet traction is phenomenal!! How so? Well to begin with the Firestone Destination XT has excellent water sipes that extend all the way down the tread block(not all all terrains do this). Offroad capability? Freaking awesome from my experience!! Of course you should air down your tires for offroad as it helps with many things. Well when done I have plowed through Mud, Floated on Sand and have beaten the hell out of them with sharp jagged rocks(unfortunately a trail had them and i didnt want to turn around) and the tires just jeep going!! I have not had a single puncture as of yet. That could be luck but I realy think it has to be tire durability as I run in the same places anf have had tire punctures on other tires. Now for snow I cant say much as of yet as I have yet to get the experience on snow with these. Now there are a few other members on here that have the Destination XT and have taken them in snow and swear by it!! If im lucky I will get the same. If anything I suspect they will be top of the class for all terrains for snow. Lets face it, its hard to beat a winter tire for winter conditions.

Edit: I should add that the Firestone is also lighter that the KO2 and the Grabber. What does this mean? Less power required to move the tire, less power required to hold momentum, better fuel economy, better braking, less unsprung weight, and better suspension response. Mind you this is comparing like tires as in load E on all tires. There is no comparison between a load E to a load C.

Now that my long and overbearing post is over I hope that helped answer your question.

Last edited:

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Part of why you don't see much of them is the fact that they are still a new tire. Also lets face it, back it the 90's with the whole Ford Exploder and firestone tires mishap not many people go for the firestone name. Also the new vehicles that get Bridgestone or firestone tires have a shitty compound that wears out too fast(not a fan of that myself).

Why am I confident in them over the KO2's and General grabbers? Well to start off with the general grabbers are just a knockoff of the KO2. I did have one set of general grabbers on my old 1992 nissan pathfinder(still miss it by the way). When I went offroad it seemed to do fine. I didnt really try to push it to the limits as I was still learning and the pathfinder had a bunch of other issues to say the least. On road traction was ok but then again its not a set of wrinkled wall Hoosiers ready for the drag strip LOL. For wet traction I was unable to say because at the time the snow was already here but I can say that the lack of water sipes do not promote wet tration very well. Snow and ice on the otherhand...... Fucking horrible...... So horrible that it caused me to go into a rollover with the pathfinder(not a fun experience and definitely a 1 star rating. Dont recommend).

The KO2 does have a little bit better water sipping but not by much. Also once again its an all terrain that is really mean more for summer conditions over winter(not saying it can't, just not geared towards it). Also as a misconception it is a popular tire, not a great tire. Even though it is popular for fair reason it has limits.

For the Firestone Destination XT it is a while different ball game here!! To say the least it is such a nice tire I had my work spend the money to have it installed on my service van(mind you its 2WD). For dry traction it does well for an all terrain. With the Ranger I can still spin but then again if you dont have weight in the back you can do it with most tires. I should also mention that when inflated correctly there is not tire noise on the HWY. That is hard to come by with select all terrain tires and basically all mud terrains. Wet traction is phenomenal!! How so? Well to begin with the Firestone Destination XT has excellent water sipes that extend all the way down the tread block(not all all terrains do this). Offroad capability? Freaking awesome from my experience!! Of course you should air down your tires for offroad as it helps with many things. Well when done I have plowed through Mud, Floated on Sand and have beaten the hell out of them with sharp jagged rocks(unfortunately a trail had them and i didnt want to turn around) and the tires just jeep going!! I have not had a single puncture as of yet. That could be luck but I realy think it has to be tire durability as I run in the same places anf have had tire punctures on other tires. Now for snow I cant say much as of yet as I have yet to get the experience on snow with these. Now there are a few other members on here that have the Destination XT and have taken them in snow and swear by it!! If im lucky I will get the same. If anything I suspect they will be top of the class for all terrains for snow. Lets face it, its hard to beat a winter tire for winter conditions.

Edit: I should add that the Firestone is also lighter that the KO2 and the Grabber. What does this mean? Less power required to move the tire, less power required to hold momentum, better fuel economy, better braking, less unsprung weight, and better suspension response. Mind you this is comparing like tires as in load E on all tires. There is no comparison between a load E to a load C.

Now that my long and overbearing post is over I hope that helped answer your question.
so ill definitely do more research on it thanks! Was your exp based on the LT or P type dest xt?