Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
Hi everyone.
I have done a lot of research and I’m not finding the exact answer I need. I have the 2020 ranger fx2 with Ford tuned fox coilover package. So my front sits slightly higher at about 2 1/4” to 2 1/2” compared to the 2” that it set at. I also have 265/70/17 general atx. I want it to sit flush with the fenders. I possibly need to push the wheels out another 1” to 1 1/2”. I am thinking new rims or a spacer. At this moment, wallet is not really entertaining rims as I have just spent a couple thousand on the tires and lift.
My question is..1. If I get a spacer (1-1.5”) do I need to cut anything? I do not want to cut the intrusion bars or the crash bars. 2. If I do go the rim route with a offset between (20-40) can I avoid cutting the bars? 3. If I potentially want to buy UCA, will I need a spacer? Or different rims? I really like the sport rims and how they look.

thanks everyone in advance!
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Simple question: Does anyone think about suspension geometry changes before doing modifications such as this?

Afterthought: Don Wallace was one of Ford's really-good suspension engineers (RIP). I just bet he's turning in his grave over mods such as the one here?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Simple question: Does anyone think about suspension geometry changes before doing modifications such as this?

Afterthought: Don Wallace was one of Ford's really-good suspension engineers (RIP). I just bet he's turning in his grave over mods such as the one here?
I got the Ford/Fox 2" level kit and had it installed by my Ford dealer. Insomuch that I WAS worried there might be a problem down the road, I asked both my service advisor and the parts guy that helped me order the parts. Both said I would be fine and that the level kit would not hurt the truck.

That said, I did not change the wheels but did change the tires to one size larger...again asking the Ford reps if that would be an issue. Both said no.

But I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, and admit to taking their word for it all. I do hope I have not hurt MY truck by these two changes!

OP
OP
jcru1017

jcru1017

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
I got the Ford/Fox 2" level kit and had it installed by my Ford dealer. Insomuch that I WAS worried there might be a problem down the road, I asked both my service advisor and the parts guy that helped me order the parts. Both said I would be fine and that the level kit would not hurt the truck.

That said, I did not change the wheels but did change the tires to one size larger...again asking the Ford reps if that would be an issue. Both said no.

But I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, and admit to taking their word for it all. I do hope I have not hurt MY truck by these two changes!
I think that set up should be fine. That’s the same set up I went with.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
My suggestion. Wait until the current tires wear outh then get 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT'S. Why you ask? Well for one they are much better overall compared to the general grabbers and KO2's.(not a lie belive it or not) second with the current set up you will get what you want and not have to use spacers or buy new wheels!! Crash bars will be fine. All you have to do is remove the plastic gaurs up front and shove the bars forward. After that you are golden!!

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport

Yup did think about it for a split sec... Then decided to hell with it.. My ride not Ford's. I've used the 3in level kit from ready lift. Installed way back in May of 19. Offroad a ton with no issues with geometry effects of bearings, bushings, wheel alignment, nor excessive wear patterns on my Cooper SST Pro's.

IcemanSTX

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Hi everyone.
I have done a lot of research and I’m not finding the exact answer I need. I have the 2020 ranger fx2 with Ford tuned fox coilover package. So my front sits slightly higher at about 2 1/4” to 2 1/2” compared to the 2” that it set at. I also have 265/70/17 general atx. I want it to sit flush with the fenders. I possibly need to push the wheels out another 1” to 1 1/2”. I am thinking new rims or a spacer. At this moment, wallet is not really entertaining rims as I have just spent a couple thousand on the tires and lift.
My question is..1. If I get a spacer (1-1.5”) do I need to cut anything? I do not want to cut the intrusion bars or the crash bars. 2. If I do go the rim route with a offset between (20-40) can I avoid cutting the bars? 3. If I potentially want to buy UCA, will I need a spacer? Or different rims? I really like the sport rims and how they look.

thanks everyone in advance!
I have the same suspension setup and desire to not cut the intrusion beams at this point. I have only tried same tire size with zero offset and they rub after one full turn. Like not rub but smash into the intrusions beams. I ordered +35 offset wheels and am gonna see about running a 275 70 R17, but might not clear the UCA. I believe some have been able to run a 32" tire with +20 ish offset and clear the beams. I may be wrong but I believe if you upgrade your UCA you might add clearance away from the tire.

IcemanSTX

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Engineering Geologist

I don't see what the big deal would be. Especially one tire size. Crazy offsets or lifts can affect the geometry, but right after I put the Fox 2" front lift on my truck went over to my alignment guy and everything is in spec. Everyone is different tho with modification. Just do what you want to do with good research and accept that it may cause issue somewhere else down the line. Me adding some front lift means I don't smash the front of my truck at work everyday

OP
OP
jcru1017

jcru1017

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
I have the same suspension setup and desire to not cut the intrusion beams at this point. I have only tried same tire size with zero offset and they rub after one full turn. Like not rub but smash into the intrusions beams. I ordered +35 offset wheels and am gonna see about running a 275 70 R17, but might not clear the UCA. I believe some have been able to run a 32" tire with +20 ish offset and clear the beams. I may be wrong but I believe if you upgrade your UCA you might add clearance away from the tire.
let us know how it goes! My lift put me at 2.25” to almost 2.5” I was thinking about a bigger tire but I just bought some. I think at this point now I will just wait. I think in the next couple years I want to look into long travel set up. Replace the coil overs and everything.As of now, it’s a great trail rider and grocery getter.

OP
OP
jcru1017

jcru1017

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
I don't see what the big deal would be. Especially one tire size. Crazy offsets or lifts can affect the geometry, but right after I put the Fox 2" front lift on my truck went over to my alignment guy and everything is in spec. Everyone is different tho with modification. Just do what you want to do with good research and accept that it may cause issue somewhere else down the line. Me adding some front lift means I don't smash the front of my truck at work everyday
yeah I wanted to be sure. If I buy rims then they don’t fit, then have to buy spacers, then uca’s Etc. It ends up burning a hole in the wallet. The lift, tires and nurf bars set me back 3k. The wife is starting to catch on lol.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

I'd venture to guess he was turning just the same when Ford released the current turd-sandwich suspension on the US-spec Rangers. Just saying...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
let us know how it goes! My lift put me at 2.25” to almost 2.5” I was thinking about a bigger tire but I just bought some. I think at this point now I will just wait. I think in the next couple years I want to look into long travel set up. Replace the coil overs and everything.As of now, it’s a great trail rider and grocery getter.
When you think about it you gave yourself a long travel setup as it is. It may not seem like it but it will travel more now vs stock and unless you are going offeoad(not common in 2wd) a long travel kit like the baja kit would be a waist.

OP
OP
jcru1017

jcru1017

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
When you think about it you gave yourself a long travel setup as it is. It may not seem like it but it will travel more now vs stock and unless you are going offeoad(not common in 2wd) a long travel kit like the baja kit would be a waist.
Well I do want to off road it. I rather hit the trails (back roads, fire roads) and deserts at higher speeds. Not so much rock crawling, climbing and mud. I know a 2wd with locker can achieve what I want. But if I can get away with high speed trail/desert driving with a mid travel or another set up, I would rather do that.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well I do want to off road it. I rather hit the trails (back roads, fire roads) and deserts at higher speeds. Not so much rock crawling, climbing and mud. I know a 2wd with locker can achieve what I want. But if I can get away with high speed trail/desert driving with a mid travel or another set up, I would rather do that.
Depending on conditions I'm sure the Fox kit can hold up to it. In more extreme conditions a true long travel kit would be the way to go
Sponsored