First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RHD FORD RANGER WILDTRACK 2.2 XLS
Occupation
Retired military
I am here in Chiang Mai, Thailand trying to solve a REAR LIGHTS problem on the LEFT SIDE ONLY. Left turn signal works fine, both LEFT BRAKE and REVERSE lights used to work but no voltage at any point in plugs. Found the MAIN FUSE PANEL , under dash, right side but have no idea where the fuse, or fuses would be fir those 2 lights. All lights on RIGHT SIDE working fine. Maybe I blew a fuse or 2 putting in new LED BULBS but have no idea where those 2 fuses are located. Have searched the internet for wiring diagrams of the rear lighting but cannot find any. Sure I found YouTubes showing the MAIN FUSE PANEL and another showing an AUXILIARY PANEL but do not know where it is hiding. Any help will be appreciated. I am a U.S. RETIRED DISABLED VETERAN living here. Local FORD DEALER refuses to show me that other fuse panel location or a LIGHTING WIRING DIAGRAM.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MartyL16

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired military
Therin lies the problem. Thank you for your reply. I have searched all afternoon and part of the evening for a wiring diagram, which I would have no trouble reading. What is wierd is that hitting the brakes turns on the right brake light but measuring voltage in the left light socket gets me nothing. The same when she puts it in reverse, the right light works but no voltage in the left reverse light. I am seeing a reference to an auxiliary fuse panel with separate fuses for left and right turn and brake lights but cannot find where that panel is located. On RHD the panel is in the same place under the dash as you would find it in a LHD FORD. Both sides were working until I tried to put in LED BULBS. Even original bulb will not work and I connected the new LED BULBS TO MY POWER SUPPLY SO I know they are good.

OP
OP

MartyL16

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired military
does this help?
I will look for that panel tomorrow in the TRUCK BED. Who would have thought to put a fuse panel there. Hmmmmm

thanks again for your reply.
I will let you know what I find.
Marty
1644681787194.png

hidden under some panel?

1644681945157.png

OP
OP

MartyL16

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired military
Well we removed the bed shell and there is no panel to be removed so there is no fuse panel located there.
I am at a loss to figure this one out.

bzmotoninja83

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2014 Focus 2000 Explorer 1987 Goldwing

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't there a ROT Ranger forum? Ranger5G is geared towards NA left hand drive variants I think...gonna be pretty hard to find help from us who are unfamiliar with WOT Rangers... ☹

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Isn't there a ROT Ranger forum? Ranger5G is geared towards NA left hand drive variants I think...gonna be pretty hard to find help from us who are unfamiliar with WOT Rangers... ☹
He will probably get more help here than anywhere else. Im worried it may of damaged his BCM, hopefully not.

Did you check the connector to see if you are getting any voltage?

Last edited:
OP
OP

MartyL16

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired military
Yes, checked the connector for REVERSE and BRAKE on LEFT SIDE= 0 volts
TURN SIGNAL on same side(LEFT) is working fine.
This RANGER has 3 separate sets of wires to these lights. 3 to BRAKE (of course), 2 to each of the other lights on this LEFT SIDE. RIGHT SIDE has the same number of wires (of course).

ALL LIGHTS ON RIGHT SIDE WORKING PERFECTLY.

TO TELL THE TRUTH: when I was working on the LEFT LIGHTS, I pulled on the wiring going underneath the car to give me enough to lay the unit on the tailgate. Maybe too hard but I have done that on other cars with no problems.

If I pulled that SPLICE apart, I would be very surprised but right now, that is the next logical step. I suspect I will find the problem in that splice. This RANGER was built in THAILAND and yes, a few FORD DEALERS have worked on it over the years.

So tomorrow I will get underneath at the back of the vehicle. From all I have read even from the BCM the BRAKE light and the REVERSE lights are ‘spliced together’, in the back of the truck, which makes sense since these are separate bulbs in each side that do exactly the same job FOR BOTH SIDES.

The TURN LIGHTS go to separate points on the BCM, where each has its own connection on the BCM.

BTW, I appreciate everyone’s comments as it is very nice to read all comments to help me solve this problem.

If this truck had that AUXILIARY FUSE BLOCK behind a panel on the right side of the bed, just past the RIGHT WHEEL WELL, it would have separate fuses for these lights but this truck does NOT have that fuse block so I will concentrate on the wires.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Im going to see if my neighbor will let me crawl under his ranger tomorrow just to see how the wiring is run. Maybe there is a connection somewhere that was pulled lose. Its probably something simple like that, just hard to locate.

OP
OP

MartyL16

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired military
You are a gentleman and a scholar!

So I got under the pickup today to trace wiring. Both side have wiring going down each side on top of the frame.

Both sides have plugs that connect the light units on each side to the main wiring.

So on to my problem LEFT SIDE and OPEN THE PLUG to check wiring back up to the LEFT LIGHT UNIT. I found the wiring to the LEFT LIGHT to be intact. The connector also looked clean.

Because I have a very regulated 12vdc power supply, I connect to the wiring for the BRAKE then the REVERSE LIGHTS using my supply and jumper wires. Both bulbs light individually and the brake light goes BRIGHT as it is supposed to.

I reattach the LEFT LIGHT UNIT to its mount and tighten both screws.

Back underneath I spray the connector both male and female sides with contact cleaner and plug the sides together but it feels loose so I put a cable tie across the ends of the connector by going in between the wires. It is now very tight.

Tell the wife to get in, then start, then both turn signals, then brakes, then reverse.

As soon as she opens the door, (wait for it!) BOTH REAR RED LIGHTS COME ON.
OK, try BOTH TURN SIGNALS, they BOTH come on (but they always did), OK, try the brakes (both REAR LIGHTS are still on), she hits the brakes and BOTH RED go BRIGHT as they should for braking, OK try reverse. BOTH REVERSE LIGHTS COME ON.

Problem solved! Obviously the connector on the LEFT SIDE was the cause of all these problems. My wife kissed me and actually was as impressed as was I.

She now has very good quality LED BULBS in all 6 positions. Much better than those original ‘dinky’ incandescent bulbs.

Thanks again to all of you for providing your thoughts and comments, it all helped!

Hell of a way to celebrate my 74th BIRTHDAY, don’t you think?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Wait, so I crawled under that truck for no reason!!!???? ?
Really glad you figured it out. It was worth the look of my neighbor anyway when asked if I could look under his truck for a few mins.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You are a gentleman and a scholar!

So I got under the pickup today to trace wiring. Both side have wiring going down each side on top of the frame.

Both sides have plugs that connect the light units on each side to the main wiring.

So on to my problem LEFT SIDE and OPEN THE PLUG to check wiring back up to the LEFT LIGHT UNIT. I found the wiring to the LEFT LIGHT to be intact. The connector also looked clean.

Because I have a very regulated 12vdc power supply, I connect to the wiring for the BRAKE then the REVERSE LIGHTS using my supply and jumper wires. Both bulbs light individually and the brake light goes BRIGHT as it is supposed to.

I reattach the LEFT LIGHT UNIT to its mount and tighten both screws.

Back underneath I spray the connector both male and female sides with contact cleaner and plug the sides together but it feels loose so I put a cable tie across the ends of the connector by going in between the wires. It is now very tight.

Tell the wife to get in, then start, then both turn signals, then brakes, then reverse.

As soon as she opens the door, (wait for it!) BOTH REAR RED LIGHTS COME ON.
OK, try BOTH TURN SIGNALS, they BOTH come on (but they always did), OK, try the brakes (both REAR LIGHTS are still on), she hits the brakes and BOTH RED go BRIGHT as they should for braking, OK try reverse. BOTH REVERSE LIGHTS COME ON.

Problem solved! Obviously the connector on the LEFT SIDE was the cause of all these problems. My wife kissed me and actually was as impressed as was I.

She now has very good quality LED BULBS in all 6 positions. Much better than those original ‘dinky’ incandescent bulbs.

Thanks again to all of you for providing your thoughts and comments, it all helped!

Hell of a way to celebrate my 74th BIRTHDAY, don’t you think?
Hi Marty,

Sounds very much like my 2019 North American Ranger wiring... Good to know...

Best,
Phil

OP
OP

MartyL16

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired military
Wait, so I crawled under that truck for no reason!!!???? ?
Really glad you figured it out. It was worth the look of my neighbor anyway when asked if I could look under his truck for a few mins.
Thanks for your effort though and look at all you learned! LOL
Sponsored