My Oil change How To video. 2019-2020 ranger.

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
2019-2020 Ford Ranger 2.3 Oil Change. (WITHOUT WHEEL REMOVAL)

I plan on making more video’s with my ranger.
Well done Dewey! I honestly had no idea the filter access was from there!

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
I changed mine yesterday. The experience was educational cause everything is still new and clean. But a year from now that splash guard is gonna be a PITA!

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Changing mine this week-end when I put on the running boards.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
So, oil filter wasn't on there Gorilla tight?????

Some other users have turned the driver wheel all the way to the right? Is that necessary?

Looks like a long reach in there, but I haven't tried yet.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
So, oil filter wasn't on there Gorilla tight?????

Some other users have turned the driver wheel all the way to the right? Is that necessary?

Looks like a long reach in there, but I haven't tried yet.
Easy job, since I drove it up onto ramps the wheel stayed straight. everything was easy. The original oil filter and the 910s are different sizes though. I had an adjustable filter wrench from Autozone so it was a snap. I did install a fumoto valve and extension and the second change did not require the skid plate removal.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Easy job, since I drove it up onto ramps the wheel stayed straight. everything was easy. The original oil filter and the 910s are different sizes though. I had an adjustable filter wrench from Autozone so it was a snap. I did install a fumoto valve and extension and the second change did not require the skid plate removal.
I don't appear to have the "skid plate". Since I have the FX2 package, I just have that "fake plastic" skid plate in place of the air dam.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Out of curiosity, I thought I'd explore how hard it was to get to the oil filter in this stupid location. Got the flap pulled down, but that is still quite awkward and just not enough grip in that location to grasp the oil filter good enough. Obviously, it was on there pretty tight.
The oil filter cap I had slipped.

14 flutes it appears, but perhaps 76MM.

I was going to change the oil to full synthetic had I gotten the oil filter off.

Guess this has proven successful for me to accomplish myself. :-(

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2019-2020 Ford Ranger 2.3 Oil Change. (WITHOUT WHEEL REMOVAL)

I plan on making more video’s with my ranger.
Having just completed my own oil change...my tired and sore 72 year old body without any ramps a couple things. First to drop the Secondary skidplate...remove the rear bolts and ONLY loosen the front two which are also the rear of the primary front skid plate. Do not need to remove as the secondary plate is slotted at the front. Mistake number 2. Never pour oil into the filter through the threaded hole of the oil filter. Oil flow into the filter is from the outer holes, not the center hole and you risk contamination of the oil when you pour through the center oil filter hole....this oil goes directly to the engine. Always fill the filter through the outside ring of slots or do not bother and put the filter in dry. I also use a 3/8 drive cup, but line it with the thin metal duct tape so that I have to drive the cup onto the filter with a hammer on the end of a drive extension to give it a firm grip.

Otherwise this fellow did okay, but just okay...not great...

JMO,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Enginering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

C141B FE

First Name
Darron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired Engineer, AF Veteran
Having just completed my own oil change...my tired and sore 72 year old body without any ramps a couple things. First to drop the Secondary skidplate...remove the rear bolts and ONLY loosen the front two which are also the rear of the primary front skid plate. Do not need to remove as the secondary plate is slotted at the front. Mistake number 2. Never pour oil into the filter through the threaded hole of the oil filter. Oil flow into the filter is from the outer holes, not the center hole and you risk contamination of the oil when you pour through the center oil filter hole....this oil goes directly to the engine. Always fill the filter through the outside ring of slots or do not bother and put the filter in dry. I also use a 3/8 drive cup, but line it with the thin metal duct tape so that I have to drive the cup onto the filter with a hammer on the end of a drive extension to give it a firm grip.

Otherwise this fellow did okay, but just okay...not great...

JMO,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Enginering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Great info as always Phil! Coming from years of maintaining my BMWs, there was a torque value for darn near every fastener. Is there a specific torque for skid-plate bolts? What about the oil drain plug? Anyone know where I can find torque value info? Thanks!

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Does anyone else prime their oil pump before starting the engine after an oil change or am I nuts?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I changed the oil and filter on my 2020 S/Cab last year and found the procedure no more difficult than other vehicles I've worked on (I was a line mechanic @ a Lincoln-Mercury dealership for almost 14 years prior to joining HFD).

Want a PITA oil filter to replace? Try a Bobcat (Pinto) with a 2.8 Cologne OHV V6, the filter is located in an area where you are lucky if you have 5 degrees arc travel with a strap wrench.

More often than not I'd use a large screwdriver, puncture the filter with it and use the screwdriver as a lever, worked every time.

Of course, you are committed to getting that filter off then...
Sponsored