First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
WTF... I'm in my new 2 months old Ranger... Is just freezing outside... Thankfully not 24 below...Its rain turning to snow... I used my Ford App to start it early to warm... Then I go to push button on key fob to put key in the ignition...
and guess what... Pop out switch blade key won't f'n open up...
I try over and over... I push and push the stupid designed spring release button and nothing...It's stuck inside the Key Fob housing... I'm f'n stranded inside my own truck running and I can't drive away???!!!How stupid dangerous is this Ford?
Finally... I get it to open after banging ...playing f'n with it for several minutes...
I go home turbo driving angry with my 2022 Ranger.
Then close the key fob blade key like I'm Steve Mcqueen home from beating bad guys... Throw the fob... Wallet... Glasses down on the counter discusted...
Wait... I'll try to open my new Ranger 'danger' fob again... It F'n won't open again... This time I tried for five minutes... Still closed shut... Spring mechanism is a bust!!! I thought this could be a problem future when I first picked up the Ranger .. Yep . It F'n is... Just can't believe it's only 2 months later...
What a stupid designed POS key... I am now using backup key fob... What if if I was really needing to get somewhere... Or not wanting to freeze to death like many did last week in the Polar Vortex that came crashing down into the US... Ford Stupid... Can I please talk to the engineer team that thought of this 'danger' design stupid key fob... No wonder they went with push button ignition on the New 2024 ...Ranger .. Is there a Recall?... Is there a warranty for a new key fob.. pretty sure there F'n very expensive to buy... This kind of dangerous stupidity engineering with no recall stated is very angry to me .. that's why I dumped Nissan for life!
Nissan wouldn't put thru a Recall on their 300K sold 2004-2006 Altimas for a faulty TPO Switch that failed out of nowhere dangerous while driving killing engine/idle and starting capabilities.
I wonder WTF is wrong with Ford sometimes... I still bleed Ford...But then again... So do all investors (me) wonder as their stock has plummeted 25% this year and not considered a 'Buy' anymore.
What next am I to discover that's gonna surprise me of stupid engineering??
Sponsored

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
the problem is usually the roll pin coming out of position.
if you can slightly open the key the pin can be seen & then tapped into place.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
That’s frustrating. Breathe. I’m not sure Ford is going to issue a recall over this. As long as your key hasn’t been run over, I would fully expect it to be covered by warranty.
As for other engineering mistakes - have you seen how high the rear end is???

Hang in there. They are fun trucks. It’ll get worked out.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
My money is on the roll pin. Mine backs out weekly it seems like.

Super dangerous though, yeah. Probably as dangerous as having a lack of problem solving. Should probably (definitely) sue ford... you could of died!

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Shesh, if such a small problem gets you that worked up I'd hate to see what a real problem would do to you.
Chill out, relax and live longer. Or not, your choice.
As mentioned already, probably the roll pin.

Here is the roll pin circled in Red.
Key RP.jpg

Make sure it isn't sticking too far to one side or the other. Bad picture but you can barely see mine is slightly sticking out one side.
key RP2.jpg

If it's sticking out one side too far, the key won't open or close properly. Push the pin back in and put a small drop of nail polish or super glue on it without letting it open or close all the way. Let it dry and then close it and use it.
That should prevent a small problem from turning into a major catastrophe.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
WTF... I'm in my new 2 months old Ranger... Is just freezing outside... Thankfully not 24 below...Its rain turning to snow... I used my Ford App to start it early to warm... Then I go to push button on key fob to put key in the ignition...
I try over and over... I push and push the stupid designed spring release button and nothing...It's stuck inside the Key Fob housing... I'm f'n stranded inside my own truck running and I can't drive away???!!!How stupid dangerous is this Ford?
Finally... I get it to open after banging ...playing f'n with it for several minutes...
Then close the key fob blade key like I'm Steve Mcqueen home from beating bad guys... Throw the fob... Wallet... Glasses down on the counter discusted...
Wait... I'll try to open my new Ranger 'danger' fob again... It F'n won't open again... This time I tried for five minutes... Still closed shut... Spring mechanism is a bust!!! I thought this could be a problem future when I first picked up the Ranger .. Yep . It F'n is... Just can't believe it's only 2 months later...
What a stupid designed POS key... I am now using backup key fob... What if if I was really needing to get somewhere... Or not wanting to freeze to death like many did last week in the Polar Vortex that came crashing down into the US... Ford Stupid... Can I please talk to the engineer team that thought of this 'danger' design stupid key fob... No wonder they went with push button ignition on the New 2024 ...Ranger .. Is there a Recall?... Is there a warranty for a new key fob.. pretty sure there F'n very expensive to buy... This kind of dangerous stupidity engineering with no recall stated is very angry to me .. that's why I dumped Nissan for life!
Nissan wouldn't put thru a Recall on their 300K sold 2004-2006 Altimas for a faulty TPO Switch that failed out of nowhere dangerous while driving killing engine/idle and starting capabilities.
I wonder WTF is wrong with Ford sometimes... I still bleed Ford...But then again... So do all investors (me) wonder as their stock has plummeted 25% this year and not considered a 'Buy' anymore.
Maybe start a poll to see how many members here have had the issue. Don't quote me, but I'm pretty confident you'll get numbers in the 0.X%. I don't expect a company to issue recalls for numbers that low. And no company that wanted to be solvent would. Like others have suggested, that's what warranty claims are for.

Considering all the hyperbole, the post may be a troll..? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Frank

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

What ever you do don't smell your oil. I'd hate to see what that thread looks like. :bandit::lipssealed::ninja:

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
What ever you do don't smell your oil. I'd hate to see what that thread looks like. :bandit::lipssealed::ninja:

Or try to get something out of the bed, or look at the driveshaft when it's icy out, or pay attention to how it shifts, or....

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
And I stupidly worry about silly things like terminally ill brother, daughter's husband being killed last year, mice infestation in our house etc. I need to prioritize "first world problems" I guess. Seriously, when I wrote service for Kia years back, that was a common fob problem. It's one of the drawbacks to a flip-key design regardless of manufacturer. Pop it open with a paperclip, nail file or whatever. Not really a MacGyver challenge.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Take it easy guy and think it through. Maybe some Chinese kid was having a hard day on the assembly line worried about the beating he was going to get when he went home because he got a B on his math test.
Sponsored