My Dash Cam Installation

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 - Gots mods
Occupation
Network Engineer
Just wanted to share my installation notes on a hardwired to the interior fuse block powered dash cam and how i ran the wiring.

I used a BlueSkySea B1W dash cam from Amazon. I have this model in both my vehicles and it works great. Just be sure to upgrade to the latest firmware if you have an iphone.

Links to what i used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773FXVKL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_o98pFb8QVQNZ1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X7MY854/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_k98pFbDA57PPZ

For the installation, i wanted to hide the wiring behind the mirror. Didn't for the life of me know how to get that cover off but after a little effort, it just pops off. As you can see in the pictures it's just held in by clips.

The basics of the installation are running the power cord along the driver's a-pillar and along the headliner to the middle of the windshield. Then drop it down and i tucked it under the factory wiring for the camera there. I did file out a relief in the cover at the bottom for the power wire to come out.

I ran the cable along the a-pillar using velcro to hold the wire in place. Drop it down along the frame and under the steering wheel.

A tap a fuse requires a ground and usually there's a nice ground by the fuse block but in the Ranger it's a bit difficult. So instead i used the support brace as you see as my ground. Worked perfectly.

For an ignition source, I used fuse 35. Shout out to @dmeyer302 for letting me know that was an ignition on and open fuse slot to use.

If you haven't used a fuse tap it's pretty simple. You just pull the fuse out, put two fuses in both slots (one if for the original purpose and the other is for your power draw for the camera) and then plug it in. Attach your ground and done.

Lastly I just had to clean up the wiring and tuck everything nicely so it wouldn't rattle.

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Very nice. I have always wondered how hard that cover was to remove. I may be re-positioning my dashcam now... ?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
IMG_2053.jpg

View of my camera from the outside.

IMG_2054.jpg

View of my camera from the inside.

IMG_2056.jpg

Plugs into the DC accessory power socket.

IMG_2057.jpg

Cable is routed above roof liner, down the A-pillar, beside the dash, under the back of the glovebox, along the console to the cigarette lighter plug. Cable is mostly hidden. You can see it in a few places if you are looking for it.

The DC accessory plug stays on for a while after the ignition is turned off. I'm not sure how long. Maybe 10-20 minutes. After that it shuts off until the truck is started again. If I don't want the camera to record, I just unplug it and it shuts off after a minute or so.

Last edited:

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why not wiretap the mirror power.?
6” or so wire tap available on Amazon... . No running long wires, cutting into them or otherwise. 2 pin taps go into back of molex connector.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
The 12v outlet is called a Power Point and stays hot for 75 minutes when the ignition is turned off. I used Forscan and re-programmed mine to stay hot for 18 hours - Perfect for parking mode.

Jdm4292

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Golf R
Just wanted to share my installation notes on a hardwired to the interior fuse block powered dash cam and how i ran the wiring.

I used a BlueSkySea B1W dash cam from Amazon. I have this model in both my vehicles and it works great. Just be sure to upgrade to the latest firmware if you have an iphone.

Links to what i used:

For the installation, i wanted to hide the wiring behind the mirror. Didn't for the life of me know how to get that cover off but after a little effort, it just pops off. As you can see in the pictures it's just held in by clips.

The basics of the installation are running the power cord along the driver's a-pillar and along the headliner to the middle of the windshield. Then drop it down and i tucked it under the factory wiring for the camera there. I did file out a relief in the cover at the bottom for the power wire to come out.

I ran the cable along the a-pillar using velcro to hold the wire in place. Drop it down along the frame and under the steering wheel.

A tap a fuse requires a ground and usually there's a nice ground by the fuse block but in the Ranger it's a bit difficult. So instead i used the support brace as you see as my ground. Worked perfectly.

For an ignition source, I used fuse 35. Shout out to @dmeyer302 for letting me know that was an ignition on and open fuse slot to use.

If you haven't used a fuse tap it's pretty simple. You just pull the fuse out, put two fuses in both slots (one if for the original purpose and the other is for your power draw for the camera) and then plug it in. Attach your ground and done.

Lastly I just had to clean up the wiring and tuck everything nicely so it wouldn't rattle.

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG
It's handsome lars, and his fabulous jars...

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write-up. I'm getting ready to install my Yi into my new Ranger and I wondered where I could tap into on the box!
Take care,
Kris

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Why not wiretap the mirror power.?
6” or so wire tap available on Amazon... . No running long wires, cutting into them or otherwise. 2 pin taps go into back of molex connector.
Hey you have a walkthrough or any website showing how this can be done?

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey you have a walkthrough or any website showing how this can be done?
You can find them cheaper no name brand on Amazon but the orig company has plenty of vids and applications. They are not cheap. Just make sure you get the right one. Some are straight for 12 volts, others are dummed down for USB Voltage. Takes less than 10 mins. You just have to make sure you tap the right wires.
My dash cam uses a 6" adapter... Similar to these : https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mirror+tap+power+cord&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

https://www.mirrortap.com/index.html

Last edited:

dinosplace

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer

Links to what i used:

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG
Question: I have a 2020 ranger with the same under dash fuse panel. I purchased Micro3 fuse add on similar to yours. I used the spare fuses 11 and 20 which are 3 pole fuses. However the add on fuse holder doesn’t fit. It’s a little too thick. I had to file the plastic a little to make it fit in the slot. Did you have similar issues? Fuse 11 is constant power and fuse 20 is ignition. Both spares from what I found online.

OP
OP
commbubba19

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 - Gots mods
Occupation
Network Engineer
I did not. Not sure why yours isn’t clearing. Do you have a pic you can take?

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
Does fuse 35 turn off with the auto start/stop, or does it stay running?
Sponsored