First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Great looking rig. I have a 2019 XLT Super Cab FX4. I'm going to replace the Hankooks that came with it with something a bit larger and more aggressive... what led you to pick the tires you're using?
Thanks
Thanks! The reason I went with the Duratrac is because I can run them year round. They are great in both mud and snow, and I rarely deal with icy road conditions in my location, 75% of my driving is clear roads, and the rest is either offroad (the sidewalls on these Duratracs are very strong and ive never flatted, but have witnessed others with KO2 and BFG AT tires flat) or driving in door deep snow to get to ski locations. I had a set on my last truck and loved them so much that all of my vehicles that will get driven offroad will likely have the Goodyear Duratracs
Sponsored

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Great looking rig Will...I hate to admit this but sometimes I regret a little that I didn't go for the 6 ft bed and a topper...having a RTT is great but when the temperature gets down below 40 it's a challenge for camping...
I would have personally liked to go with a rooftop tent because I dont often camp in really cold conditions, but most of the times I am camping, I have my great dane with me and there is exactly a 0% chance that I would get here up into a rooftop tent haha.

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
If you hate waiting for the quote, wait until you have to wait for the topper to show up after its paid for! I was told 2 more weeks multiple times until I finally got a call that it arrived. You should get yours for quite a bit cheaper then I got mine, simply because everything is more expensive in Canada. Do you have a roof rack system decided for yours yet?
Yeah the waiting game sucks but it seems like there's no alternative howeber I did find a GREAT deal on a "ranch" brand topper for my truck. brand new, but its red for $1350 installed. Might grab it and just hit it with bedliner or something. It has the major options except windoors.

I don't have any solid plans for a roof rack but I do plan on putting kayaks up there or just throwing them in the bed of the truck if I'm not camping.

I ran Duratracs on my old Jeep and they were great tires. I put KO2's on my other Jeep and I liked them as well but the duratracs seems a little better overall. Still haven't decided what tires or what size to run on the Ranger.

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Yeah the waiting game sucks but it seems like there's no alternative howeber I did find a GREAT deal on a "ranch" brand topper for my truck. brand new, but its red for $1350 installed. Might grab it and just hit it with bedliner or something. It has the major options except windoors.

I don't have any solid plans for a roof rack but I do plan on putting kayaks up there or just throwing them in the bed of the truck if I'm not camping.

I ran Duratracs on my old Jeep and they were great tires. I put KO2's on my other Jeep and I liked them as well but the duratracs seems a little better overall. Still haven't decided what tires or what size to run on the Ranger.
Wow! thats a very good deal. I would do the exact same thing, just spray it with bedliner or rockguard and call it a day. If you do it right it would actually look very good. One recommendation I would make is that I find my Prinsu (or similiar type rack such as rhino) is way more multi-use and functional then my Yakima bars. You can still mount most Thule or Yakima accessories to those rack systems and so many more options for things you would never even think about. If I could go back, i would have got a Prinsu cab rack for my truck instead of the Yakima system as well. Good luck with your build! excited to see how it turns out

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Not to hijack your thread but I checked out that Ranch topper, as well as Leer and ARE options since that topper place had so many in stock. I ended up ordering a Leer 100XR similar to yours. All 3 brands were within $100 of each other but the Leer won out for a simple feature...an easy way to open from inside. The Ranch didn't have a way and the ARE had a tiny little hole you slid your finger into. Leer has a pull handle. I also added keyless entry which seems like a good idea along with carpeting, pullout slider in front and Thule roof tracks. 6-8 week lead time supposedly. We'll see. I'm excited to get my camper build started!

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Not to hijack your thread but I checked out that Ranch topper, as well as Leer and ARE options since that topper place had so many in stock. I ended up ordering a Leer 100XR similar to yours. All 3 brands were within $100 of each other but the Leer won out for a simple feature...an easy way to open from inside. The Ranch didn't have a way and the ARE had a tiny little hole you slid your finger into. Leer has a pull handle. I also added keyless entry which seems like a good idea along with carpeting, pullout slider in front and Thule roof tracks. 6-8 week lead time supposedly. We'll see. I'm excited to get my camper build started!
Awesome! that sounds very similar to mine, all the same features and everything. And I agree, having a way to open from the inside is MANDATORY. When I ordered mine, I wasnt able to look at any of the options because the closest dealer is almost 4 hours away. I just told the guy what purpose I wanted it for and he suggested the Leer 100XR with carpeted headliner, slide windows with pet screens and keyless entry. The build quality seems great and overall I am really happy with everything except the price haha. Excited to see your build come along! its cool to see everyone else's build and what they use them for

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Nice rig you have Steve!

I really like the sCab with full cap and was very close to going that route, but couldn't give up the interior space. I canoe/tent allot, so just being able to drive to a camp site and set up camp is already a big upgrade, but having a dry, clean, windowed & screened ready made bed is beautiful. Very nice.

I have the Prinsu rack on my roof, and Front Runner Adjustable System coming for my tonneau cover.

Reactions: Doc
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cyber Orange Ranger Lariat Sport
I’ve just recently switched over to a 2021 Ranger Lariat Sport from an FJ cruiser TTSE. I had beefy tires, OME lift, Prinsu rack, and some other goodies on the FJ and wasn’t super excited about the gas mileage. I’m curious, with the setup you have, what kind of mileage are you seeing mixed, city, and highway separately if you happen to know and be willing to share.

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
I’ve just recently switched over to a 2021 Ranger Lariat Sport from an FJ cruiser TTSE. I had beefy tires, OME lift, Prinsu rack, and some other goodies on the FJ and wasn’t super excited about the gas mileage. I’m curious, with the setup you have, what kind of mileage are you seeing mixed, city, and highway separately if you happen to know and be willing to share.
I just had a look at my mileage and I am getting 12.1L/100km or about 20mpg. Definetly not good by any means, but I also live in a very steep mountainous area and commonly gain and lose a few thousand meters elevation each day with it, and it spends alot of time in 4wd. The roof rack system does add significant wind noise on the highway, but most highways here have a speed limit of 80 or 90km/h (55mph) so its never that much of an issue for me

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cyber Orange Ranger Lariat Sport
I just had a look at my mileage and I am getting 12.1L/100km or about 20mpg. Definetly not good by any means, but I also live in a very steep mountainous area and commonly gain and lose a few thousand meters elevation each day with it, and it spends alot of time in 4wd. The roof rack system does add significant wind noise on the highway, but most highways here have a speed limit of 80 or 90km/h (55mph) so its never that much of an issue for me
If I were hauling all this stuff on the FJ with my setup, I would have been looking at something like 14mpg, so I think 20 is pretty great.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Very nice looking Ranger! Thanks for all the information regarding toppers and racks!
Sponsored