First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Just thought id show off my version of an overland and multi-purpose build I did to my 2020 FX4 supercab. I ordered alot of add-ons when I bought the truck in October and they finally showed up last week. My additions after purchase from dealer have been 3" BDS lift, 31" Duratrac tires, Leer 100XQ insulated canopy with Prinsu topper rack, Yakima cross bars and cab basket, Decked truck bed storage system which I use as a sleep platform and camping/recovery gear storage underneath, Yakima holdup-evo2 bike rack and maybe more that I am forgetting? Still waiting on a few things to show up to really finish this rig but overall I am very happy with the set up. The bed sleeps both my wife and I and our great dane rather comfortably and this truck will get a-lot of use. Also sorry for the low resolution photos, I had to compress them to smaller files because it would not allow me to upload in full resolution.

FordSyringa2021-42.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-19.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-34.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-12.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-09.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
I'll be interested to see and hear about the adventures you guys take with this new rig! Looks good!
Thanks Matt! we have a few local overnight trips planned when the weather here gets a bit nicer, and if COVID restrictions allow and it makes sense too, will be spending a month in it in the Yukon and northern British Columbia this summer. I take a-lot of photos so will be sure to post any good ones I get. Love this forum

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
What size cross bars on the cab? I have yakima bars over the bed with a rack and it's perfect for holding two pelican 1650 cases we take camping/overlanding. Was thinking about adding some bars over the cab though for am awning mount

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
What size cross bars on the cab? I have yakima bars over the bed with a rack and it's perfect for holding two pelican 1650 cases we take camping/overlanding. Was thinking about adding some bars over the cab though for am awning mount
I will check when I get home later today for the exact size. I would highly recommend looking at Prinsu Designs as well. The Prinsu topper rack I have is extremely functional and much more multi purpose then my yakima cross bars. They are very easy to mount awnings to as well. I have a 6foot awning on order since October but still waiting for it to show up! Sounds like you have an awesome set up

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I looked into the Prinsu and the Rhino Backbone system but just couldn't bring myself to drill into the cab. After a few trips with the rack on the Yakima bars I'm glad I didn't have to lift the pelican cases any higher haha. My set up is a slow work in progress but its working for me! I really like that Decked system!

Also, I'm pretty jealous that you live in BC.

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
I looked into the Prinsu and the Rhino Backbone system but just couldn't bring myself to drill into the cab. After a few trips with the rack on the Yakima bars I'm glad I didn't have to lift the pelican cases any higher haha. My set up is a slow work in progress but its working for me! I really like that Decked system!

Also, I'm pretty jealous that you live in BC.
I hear your concern about drilling into the cab, I know that if (and when) I swap my yakima bars for a prinsu cab rack, I will let the pro's do it haha. I installed the Prinsu rack on the canopy my self, but it was very easy and no drilling required as I ordered my canopy with Yakima roof tracks already installed. Also, i just checked over my paperwork from the garage and the Yakima cab bars are 60" wide. They do overhand the cab a little bit but I like the look, and they are functional as handles to reach up to the upper rack.

About living in BC, i get that a lot! I moved here from Ontario, Canada and had to make quite a few sacrifices to do it, but we absolutely love it here and really take advantage of it. I was lucky enough to find a job in my field that paid me to move out here rather then having to live the ski bum lifestyle which I was very close to doing.

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at toppers myself for my supercab for exactly the same reasons as you did. I have an ARE dealer close by but Leer is a little farther out. Do you mind sharing the specs and cost of your topper and why you chose it? I'm waiting on a quote from my ARE dealer in the meantime. Love your build its pretty much exactly what I bought this truck for.

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Looking at toppers myself for my supercab for exactly the same reasons as you did. I have an ARE dealer close by but Leer is a little farther out. Do you mind sharing the specs and cost of your topper and why you chose it? I'm waiting on a quote from my ARE dealer in the meantime. Love your build its pretty much exactly what I bought this truck for.
For sure! I also got a quote on an ARE topper, but ultimately went with the Leer simply because it was slightly cheaper but build quality seemed top notch. The Leer was also a little more readily available (still took me 3 months to get it) My topper is a Leer 100XQ with the following add-ons above the "base" model.
-sliding side and front window with screens
-complete carpet headliner (mandatory for sleeping in my opinion)
-LED light
-Prinsu topper rack

Get ready for the bomb shell of the price, because I couldn't believe it. $5400 CAD was the final bill. Keep in mind, this is canadian dollars, and the Prinsu topper rack added $1200 to the price of the canopy, so the topper alone would have been $4200. I believe the carpet headliner alone was a $500 addition, and Thule roof tracks another $200 in order to install the Prinsu rack. Overall, costed way more then expected but its exactly what I wanted and the build quality seems really good compared to some older Leer's I have seen.

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the breakdown. I didn't even realize you were up in Canada. I put most of the same options in my quotes...roof tracks, carpeted headliner, swing out front window and windoors on the sides. Hopefully I get a quote soon. I hate waiting.

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Thanks for the breakdown. I didn't even realize you were up in Canada. I put most of the same options in my quotes...roof tracks, carpeted headliner, swing out front window and windoors on the sides. Hopefully I get a quote soon. I hate waiting.
If you hate waiting for the quote, wait until you have to wait for the topper to show up after its paid for! I was told 2 more weeks multiple times until I finally got a call that it arrived. You should get yours for quite a bit cheaper then I got mine, simply because everything is more expensive in Canada. Do you have a roof rack system decided for yours yet?

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Great looking setup. And as an avid mountain biker, I am extremely jealous of all the amazing trails you folks have to the North.

Ravenwood

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
roadtripper
Just thought id show off my version of an overland and multi-purpose build I did to my 2020 FX4 supercab. I ordered alot of add-ons when I bought the truck in October and they finally showed up last week. My additions after purchase from dealer have been 3" BDS lift, 31" Duratrac tires, Leer 100XQ insulated canopy with Prinsu topper rack, Yakima cross bars and cab basket, Decked truck bed storage system which I use as a sleep platform and camping/recovery gear storage underneath, Yakima holdup-evo2 bike rack and maybe more that I am forgetting? Still waiting on a few things to show up to really finish this rig but overall I am very happy with the set up. The bed sleeps both my wife and I and our great dane rather comfortably and this truck will get a-lot of use. Also sorry for the low resolution photos, I had to compress them to smaller files because it would not allow me to upload in full resolution.

FordSyringa2021-42.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-19.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-34.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-12.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-09.jpeg

Ravenwood

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
roadtripper
Great looking rig. I have a 2019 XLT Super Cab FX4. I'm going to replace the Hankooks that came with it with something a bit larger and more aggressive... what led you to pick the tires you're using?
Thanks

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

FordSyringa2021-42.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-19.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-34.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-12.jpeg
FordSyringa2021-09.jpeg
Great looking rig Will...I hate to admit this but sometimes I regret a little that I didn't go for the 6 ft bed and a topper...having a RTT is great but when the temperature gets down below 40 it's a challenge for camping...

OP
OP
scubasteve278

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Great looking setup. And as an avid mountain biker, I am extremely jealous of all the amazing trails you folks have to the North.
Thanks man! we are so spoiled with the trails we have in our local area thanks to both paid trail crews and thousands of volunteer hours. I take advantage of them almost everyday throughout the season!
Sponsored