MPG according to the ranger vs Real

Deleted member 1634

I actually hit 30 mpg on my Ranger early on. But I wanted it to be closer to my manual calculations. So I adjusted the computer settings. Now my mileage is pretty much spot on. You can read all the different settings that folks say they adjusted the computer to, but it boils down to your climate, driving conditions and the way you drive. Based on my adjusted computer and the 15,500 plus miles, I am still getting overall 24.5 mpg since I started driving the Ranger. But that's based on my driving habits, what few times I tow the trailer and the landscape/speed affecting the mileage. I can still get a little over 26 mpg on some tanks.

So for me, I am very happy with the fuel economy I get. It works for me! ;)
Same here. I was getting great mileage in the summer, but winter has given me quite the hit, so that'll drop my lifetime mileage. Disappointing, but that's what it is.
Sponsored

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I actually hit 30 mpg on my Ranger early on. But I wanted it to be closer to my manual calculations. So I adjusted the computer settings. Now my mileage is pretty much spot on. You can read all the different settings that folks say they adjusted the computer to, but it boils down to your climate, driving conditions and the way you drive. Based on my adjusted computer and the 15,500 plus miles, I am still getting overall 24.5 mpg since I started driving the Ranger. But that's based on my driving habits, what few times I tow the trailer and the landscape/speed affecting the mileage. I can still get a little over 26 mpg on some tanks.

So for me, I am very happy with the fuel economy I get. It works for me! ;)
Good to hear. Mine is still a baby with less than 600 mi. I replaced (gave to daughter) our 2016 Cherokee 2.4L for the Rangers towing capacity, and hauling ability with our SuperCab 6" box. The Cherokee beat it's sticker 26 hwy with 27.5 avg hwy, no towing. The Ranger's sticker fuel economy is close enough to the Jeep's to keep me hopeful on no tow highway trips.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
I actually hit 30 mpg on my Ranger early on. But I wanted it to be closer to my manual calculations. ;)
Very nice!! I just recently hit 30mpg--just getting into the adjustments, and can hardly wait for a extended drive, to see how high it will go--it was still going up, when we reach out destination.

BGDOGY

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 crew cab
wow 30mpg, are you riding downhill with a tail wind? I just hit 20mpg for the first time since I had my truck and over half of that was highway driving. I was getting around 15mpg, but that was because of hour plus long bumper to bumper traffic going into work. Once a couple of carriers left the base, traffic cleared up and now it's less than 30 minutes and that of course was when my mileage picked up, but still not as good as yours.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
My mileage has been improving. At first it was 16-17, but with each tank it gets a little better. Have about 1600 miles on it now and I'm at 21.5. I've started comparing the displayed mileage and "real" mileage which I calculate with each new tankful. The displayed mileage is about 5-10% generous. I'm going to give it a couple more tankfuls and then make the adjustment mentioned earlier in this post. 30 mpg is not yet in sight.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Same here. Average mileage per tank fill-up regardless of octane is giving me 20% lower MPG when calculated manually after 6-8 fillups. The procedure that RedLandRanger links to does not work in my 2019 Ranger Lariat - I don't get the 'engineering' screen.

I fully get that driving conditions influence mileage, but right now I get (actual) about 16 MPG on 87 octane (10% Ethanol advertised) and 18 MPG on 89 octane driving the same route(s) each week. The few times I've splurged on 93 octane it's almost reached 20 MPG - I only do the calc after the second fill of the same octane value. The computer consistently displays around 2 MPG more than what I work out manually. Each of those grades of gasoline are about thirty cents more expensive per gallon and from an economic standpoint don't provide a return on cost.

I will say that low speed driveability has felt best with the 89 octane with less perceived lunging at lower gears. I've got about 3700 miles on the truck so far, and rarely use Sport Mode.

I live at sea level and haven't taken a long distance trip yet, that will be a different experiment.
my truck wouldn't go into the " engineering screen" either until i tried it with my foot on the brake

Roaring Gorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Ridgeline AWD Sport
I average 17.5 to 19.5 MPG. I have nearly 5,000 miles on the odometer, I commute 85 miles roundtrip 5x a week. I only 4x4 when the situation calls for it. I don't try to drive aggressively. I typically use 87 octane fuel.

Needless to say, I am frustrated that my MPGs are not near advertised MPGs. One of the biggest reasons I chose a Ranger is due to the MPGs. I don't want to spend nearly a dollar more per gallon of gas for a potential boost of 2 MPGs.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
my truck wouldn't go into the " engineering screen" either until i tried it with my foot on the brake
I forget what specifically I had to change to finally get into the Engineering Mode (?) - changed my settings and while my computer is closer to accurate, I'm still not getting remotely the mileage Ford advertised. It's partly me of course, and now that I've installed the 3 inch diameter exhaust (cat back) and an oil catch can and just today a blowoff diverter valve my claims may be forever suspect. Maybe a future tonneau cover will help, but I'll never recoup those costs in fuel mileage savings. Full synthetic oil changes from here on - I also think Ethanol-free gas would get me closer - but again, the difference in cost isn't going to be a financial benefit. What I find interesting is some of the custom tune threads are reporting not just more power but better mileage. Maybe that's next.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I average 17.5 to 19.5 MPG. I have nearly 5,000 miles on the odometer, I commute 85 miles roundtrip 5x a week. I only 4x4 when the situation calls for it. I don't try to drive aggressively. I typically use 87 octane fuel.

Needless to say, I am frustrated that my MPGs are not near advertised MPGs. One of the biggest reasons I chose a Ranger is due to the MPGs. I don't want to spend nearly a dollar more per gallon of gas for a potential boost of 2 MPGs.
I was a bit frustrated at first with the MPG not meeting manufacturer specs. When I bought the Ranger, I had been driving my wife's Kia Optima for 6 months after selling my 15 Colorado.

Her car requires more throttle input in ECO mode than the Ranger required to accelerate at a normal rate. I learned the Ranger does not require a lot of throttle input to accelerate.

With that knowledge, I changed my driving style and the MPG improved by 2 MPG. I'm at roughly 15k miles on the truck and get a consistent 20.5-21 MPG city and 26 MPG.

Most of my driving is city, but as of 2 months ago, I make bimonthly trips to North Texas for work, 250 miles each way. It took some time for the highway mileage to come up but it did as stated with cruise set at 75 MPH.

I tried using premium fuel for better MPG but the gain did not offset the cost, so I only use 87 octane. I only use 93 when I'm towing or hauling.

It seems to me that it takes my truck about 7 miles of highway driving(in Texas climate) to get up to operating temp and switching to closed loop. A lot of idling will tank the mileage. Also, the mileage is very susceptible to headwind. While I was heading north at 75 MPH, a front was blowing south, giving me a 20 MPH headwind. My mileage for that trip was 19 MPG.

So, the truck is capable of getting the MPG, it's the driver that has to learn the truck.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have just over 1,600 miles on my 4x4 ranger an my displayed mileage is usually just over 19 an my hand calculated is about .4 to .8 lower. I did a little more than usual highway driving on one tank an it showed 20.3 an my hand calculated was 19.7. I'm pretty sure the winter blend is hurting mpg's, it really did in my '16 fusion. The car reading an my hand calculated was less than .5 mpg apart an mileage went down by over 1 mpg when the gas changed an even more during a harsh cold period. I drive about 12 miles each way to work an it's pretty much half an half city highway an the fusion was close to 30 on summer gas an 29 or just under 29 on winter blend. I'm hoping for 21 after break in an switching to full synthetic oil. My understanding is the 4x4 doesn't disengage the axles when in 2 wheel drive. This is probably a more reliable an stronger set up if it's the case at the cost of about 1 mpg on the highway.

Mantis

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 Ford Edge SEL
I have been using 93 octane since I picked up the truck in December and I am averaging about 20.3 mpg hand calculated. I've got about 3500 miles on the truck now. It has been really consistent getting my average each time as opposed to varying range above and below my average. The truck's calculator is consistently 4% to 5% higher than hand calculated.

For one tank I drove the truck in sport mode the whole time to test it out and I got 17.6 mpg hand calculated. I didn't include this test in my average mpg.

My next tank or three I am planning to switch to 87 octane to see what my mpg will be. Also I want to see if there is a seat of the pants difference in the truck's performance.

RangerUp556

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat, 2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU
I get great MPG. I have just over 8,000 miles on my truck (SuperCrew FX4 Lariat). Commute 82 miles round trip 6 days a week and currently in a winter blended fuel climate. Lifetime is 24.3 mpg. I use 91 or 93 octane from Tier 1 stations.

JACER

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
I'm new to Ranger 5g community only having our 2019 Ranger Lariat for about 2 weeks. It was a dealer DEMO model which we got a great deal on & it had less than 2500 miles on the clock. It came full of fuel & at half a tank I filled & will now track the mpg's.

However, we traded in a 2017 Explorer & I was on the Explorer forum where I learned of a website called fuelly.com. This website takes the paperwork &/or calculator aspect out of your calculations. It does it all for you & gives you a complete running history.

Give it a go. You may like it a lot! Also, we are enjoying driving the Ranger, & the power as well. Thank the Lord it came with the running boards to make it easier for wifey to climb aboard!!!

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I forget what specifically I had to change to finally get into the Engineering Mode (?) - changed my settings and while my computer is closer to accurate, I'm still not getting remotely the mileage Ford advertised. It's partly me of course, and now that I've installed the 3 inch diameter exhaust (cat back) and an oil catch can and just today a blowoff diverter valve my claims may be forever suspect. Maybe a future tonneau cover will help, but I'll never recoup those costs in fuel mileage savings. Full synthetic oil changes from here on - I also think Ethanol-free gas would get me closer - but again, the difference in cost isn't going to be a financial benefit. What I find interesting is some of the custom tune threads are reporting not just more power but better mileage. Maybe that's next.
"
I was getting "23 miles in the city 28 on the freeway. I didn't believe those miles so I did a hand calc. So I've been adjusting what the truck reads as miles per gallon to get it more in line with the real MPG.

Since I fill up at half a tank it's taking me longer to match up the Hand calc to truck indicator. So far I have adjusted the mPG to read 19 MPG around town as with the hand calc. Don't have a highway number yet.

Attached is the process to follow to dial in the indicator to match handcalcs. Found this on the forum a while ago. I just got around to actually using it. I am doing this because I am seeing some very high MPGs listed on the Forum. I want to match the hand calc to the trucks calc so I get REAL world MPG.
Have it dialed in. mpgs are indeed lower but accurate[/QUOTE]

img002.jpg
Sponsored