OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
When I accelerate normally from a stop in my 2020, and only in 1st gear (not in the remaining gears) the motor sounds like it is revving faster that it should and is not syncing with the transmission. The transmission expert at the dealership tested it and said this is exactly how this Ranger should respond because of the way the 10 speed transmission is configured. I have never owned a vehicle which has responded this way. Anyone else experiencing this?

Guys, Thanks for the input, comments and advice. At this point I am going to drive the Truck for a while and try some things. If I can't find a solution then will take it to another dealership for a 2nd opinion.

Regards.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Paul, my Ranger hasn't arrived yet, but we have a 10 spd in the wife's Mustang. I know the tranny's are probably tuned differently, but the Mustang can't wait to get out of 1st gear. And, without any high revs. I would think the Ranger should be the same. If your Ranger is still under say 3K mikes you may want to give it a little more time to finish it's learning curve. Also, the tech is full of chit. If it's through it's learning curve I don't think your's is right. The Mustang is an '18, and the first year of the 10 spd's from Ford. It never learned a thing. It bumped, jumped, and slid thought the gears. At 7K miles I'd had enough. I took it back to the dealer, and had it reprogrammed. It's great now. So, you may have to go that option if it doesn't settle down. Good luck

OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good question. I am in Drive when it occurs.

OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paul, my Ranger hasn't arrived yet, but we have a 10 spd in the wife's Mustang. I know the tranny's are probably tuned differently, but the Mustang can't wait to get out of 1st gear. And, without any high revs. I would think the Ranger should be the same. If your Ranger is still under say 3K mikes you may want to give it a little more time to finish it's learning curve. Also, the tech is full of chit. If it's through it's learning curve I don't think your's is right. The Mustang is an '18, and the first year of the 10 spd's from Ford. It never learned a thing. It bumped, jumped, and slid thought the gears. At 7K miles I'd had enough. I took it back to the dealer, and had it reprogrammed. It's great now. So, you may have to go that option if it doesn't settle down. Good luck
Good point. The truck has only 650 miles on it so I will watch it as the miles increase and check the reaction in 1st gear.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good question. I am in Drive when it occurs.
Does this happen all the time or just on morning start up. I am wondering if it is the Engine driven fan in morning lockup is confusing the situation... Just a hunch!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Good point. The truck has only 650 miles on it so I will watch it as the miles increase and check the reaction in 1st gear.
Mine seemed to smooth out at around 1,200 miles. As Jim said give it some more time and if it keeps happening have the dealer check it out.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Define revving faster than it should? Need some numbers. Video?

Edit: Hot and cold? Mine hangs gears a little longer when cold which is normal.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As Phil said,if its cold its probably the engine driven fan. Bret
That's what I thought too but in his OP he says it's only in 1st gear. My fan makes this noise past 1st gear, it sounds like a school bus taking off.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I think 1st might be geared a little lower than on many other cars. In addition, the normal function of the transmission is to skip 2nd under typical acceleration, so it's got to use 1st to get the vehicle up to a high enough speed to keep running in 3rd. I think the combination of the two leads to it going to higher RPMs in 1st than in any other gear during acceleration.

How many RPMs is it getting up to? And how hard do you push the accelerator?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
That's what I thought too but in his OP he says it's only in 1st gear. My fan makes this noise past 1st gear, it sounds like a school bus taking off.
The first thing my wife said when we pulled off for a test drive, "What's that noise". It's a good thing I already knew it was the fan, or I would have had a lot of "splainin" to do. :)

@OrangeStreak, Paul, it just hit me. When the truck does this does it feel like it slows, then kind of jumps, the engine sounds like it revs, and then goes on down the road? I described as it felt like the tanny was going over a bump to get into second gear. If so, it probably is normal. Some 10 spds are notorious to have a rough 1-2 shift until they get a few miles on them. I don't know why, but ours did it near all of the time until I got it reprogrammed. This is just another SWAG though.

I will say that the 2020 we test drove changed as smooth as silk when it did the 1-2 change even when cold. Yeah, I know I ain't helping much. Just ramblin' on........:)

OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does this happen all the time or just on morning start up. I am wondering if it is the Engine driven fan in morning lockup is confusing the situation... Just a hunch!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for responding. This happens all the time when the engine is cold, warm or hot. We have been in the 90's in Albuquerque so tested it at this high temperuture. I noticed this occuring when I drove off the Dealers lot. On normal acceleration, the tach reads about 2500 when it goes from 1st to 2nd. I am basing the comparison from my 2011 Ranger (5spd. automatic) which didn't over rev in 1st gear or any other gear beyond .

OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The first thing my wife said when we pulled off for a test drive, "What's that noise". It's a good thing I already knew it was the fan, or I would have had a lot of "splainin" to do. :)

@OrangeStreak, Paul, it just hit me. When the truck does this does it feel like it slows, then kind of jumps, the engine sounds like it revs, and then goes on down the road? I described as it felt like the tanny was going over a bump to get into second gear. If so, it probably is normal. Some 10 spds are notorious to have a rough 1-2 shift until they get a few miles on them. I don't know why, but ours did it near all of the time until I got it reprogrammed. This is just another SWAG though.

I will say that the 2020 we test drove changed as smooth as silk when it did the 1-2 change even when cold. Yeah, I know I ain't helping much. Just ramblin' on........:)
Jim, It doesn't jump or jerk at the point when this is happening, but it does feel like the truck is temporarily slowing down a bit and motor over revving until it gets into 2nd. Only 650 miles on the Truck. Thanks for your input.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thanks for responding. This happens all the time when the engine is cold, warm or hot. We have been in the 90's in Albuquerque so tested it at this high temperuture. I noticed this occuring when I drove off the Dealers lot. On normal acceleration, the tach reads about 2500 when it goes from 1st to 2nd. I am basing the comparison from my 2011 Ranger (5spd. automatic) which didn't over rev in 1st gear or any other gear beyond .
Mine goes to 2500 - 3000 before shifting to second. Why do you think that is too high?
Sponsored