Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Model Change over from 2019 Ranger to 2020 Ranger....Last 2019 chassis on the line.....
First Car Factory.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Manny,

Actually Ford's first assembly line. A picture of which I had not before seen.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Manny,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Pretty cool! Is that the Model T they're building?

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Model Change over from 2019 Ranger to 2020 Ranger....Last 2019 chassis on the line.....
First Car Factory.jpg

I am pretty sure this is actually the 2020 Nissan Frontier assembly line.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i spent a couple days in the henry ford musuem in detriot. had a section off assembly line like in the picture. very cool. hands down the best thing in detriot i saw. one of the employees told me stories of fords underground tunnel system and his using them for umm extra marital relations with several women and for "distilled spirits". tons of awesome stuff on display too.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
i spent a couple days in the henry ford musuem in detriot. had a section off assembly line like in the picture. very cool. hands down the best thing in detriot i saw. one of the employees told me stories of fords underground tunnel system and his using them for umm extra marital relations with several women and for "distilled spirits". tons of awesome stuff on display too.
If you have a chance and are back in Michigan, check out the Rouge Factory tour. I have been there a couple times. Its really cool if you go on a day when they are in production.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mark,

I have been in those tunnels .... both in the Engineering Complex and in the tunnels in the Fairlane Estates from his mantion to the river to his "Lover" Engineering Complex was to get to other buildings without trudging through snow. I used to run in the tunnels at lunch...keeping fit..

It was rumored that the tunnels crossed Oakwood Blvd and surfaced in the Experimental Garage.
So, being a renegade...I attempted this and found this narrow tunnel, In my required business suit, to surface into an ladder that did in deed surface in the Experimental Garage...I had to push heavy diamond plate aside to get out of the tunnel, but I did it... Folks saw a guy in a suit emerge from the diamond plated opening... I recall Ford Security blocked this afterwards. My Boss at the time thought it was just great......giggle, giggle,giggle. The tunnels in Fairland Estates were a different matter... You had to be special to enter the tunnels and we did this as I gave the gardeners a Ranger at 1$ to help them out...I got into the attic to to see Edsel Ford's crib etc and to walk through the Tunnels to the Rouge River to the boat house across the river from Henry's lover...

Best,
Phil

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Hi Mark,

I have been in those tunnels .... both in the Engineering Complex and in the tunnels in the Fairlane Estates from his mantion to the river to his "Lover" Engineering Complex was to get to other buildings without trudging through snow. I used to run in the tunnels at lunch...keeping fit..

It was rumored that the tunnels crossed Oakwood Blvd and surfaced in the Experimental Garage.
So, being a renegade...I attempted this and found this narrow tunnel, In my required business suit, to surface into an ladder that did in deed surface in the Experimental Garage...I had to push heavy diamond plate aside to get out of the tunnel, but I did it... Folks saw a guy in a suit emerge from the diamond plated opening... I recall Ford Security blocked this afterwards. My Boss at the time thought it was just great......giggle, giggle,giggle. The tunnels in Fairland Estates were a different matter... You had to be special to enter the tunnels and we did this as I gave the gardeners a Ranger at 1$ to help them out...I got into the attic to to see Edsel Ford's crib etc and to walk through the Tunnels to the Rouge River to the boat house across the river from Henry's lover...

Best,
Phil
wow! that must have been so much dang fun! i love exploring stuff like that but, its slim pickin in my area. everything is private property. If you have any photos from the tunnels etc. I am sure we would all love to see them :D

Reactions: Doc

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Hi Manny,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil...I gotcha ya...
That line is a powered line...the very first assembly line had workers manually pulling chassis along an assembly line, stopping every few feet so workers could install parts. He tried the manual line for awhile, to perfect it, before going to the powered line. Model T's pretty much used wooden spoked wheels, Model A's still used spoke wheels and the ones pictured look to be heavy duty steel wheels. Ford didn't start using those type wheels until the 1930 Ford AA truck chassis, which were one and 1 1/2 ton trucks. Those type wheels were never used on a car chassis. The smaller/regular Model A pick up trucks still used steel spoked wheels that were the same ones used on passenger cars. Single rear springs were used into the 1940's .

Last edited:

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
Henry Fords first assembly line was on Piquette Ave in Detroit MI. The Ford family was getting rid of that building when a few Model T owners purchased it from the family and restored the first (2) floors to offer tours. The building is used to house members model T's, A's and many other vintage automobiles from that era.
https://www.fordpiquetteplant.org/
Sponsored