Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
223A71F7-C0C7-4E73-84A1-96CC60A3AF45.png

Power seats confirmed
Yeah, but what are they going to do about the powertrain? That to me is the big stumbling block for the Gen 3 Tacomas. It is TERRIBLE.
Sponsored

JoshE

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Yeah, but what are they going to do about the powertrain? That to me is the big stumbling block for the Gen 3 Tacomas. It is TERRIBLE.
The front seat position is almost on par with the powertrain for me, I never could get comfortable behind the wheel in mine, especially on road trips. So this hopefully being addressed makes a huge difference. I’m hoping they address the powertrain issues: engine power bands and transmission gearing on the manual and mapping on the auto. I had a manual and it was much better than an auto, but it was essentially a 4 speed unless on flat highway or constant shifting between 3-4-5. If they address the powertrain issues I’ll likely be getting another Tacoma. If they don’t this update is at least going to make me consider a Tacoma rather than the Ranger as I had planned. The long-term reliability of the Ranger scares me, and I prefer manual transmissions.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The front seat position is almost on par with the powertrain for me, I never could get comfortable behind the wheel in mine, especially on road trips. So this hopefully being addressed makes a huge difference. I’m hoping they address the powertrain issues: engine power bands and transmission gearing on the manual and mapping on the auto. I had a manual and it was much better than an auto, but it was essentially a 4 speed unless on flat highway or constant shifting between 3-4-5. If they address the powertrain issues I’ll likely be getting another Tacoma. If they don’t this update is at least going to make me consider a Tacoma rather than the Ranger as I had planned. The long-term reliability of the Ranger scares me, and I prefer manual transmissions.
For the automatic, I think it is more than just a mapping issue - the peak HP of that V6 is just about at redline and the peak torque is really high as well. The only way to make the engine perform at any decent level is to wind the crap out of it. I can't imagine that does anything for reliability. But if you just putt around, I guess it would work. It just seems like a REALLY odd combo.

Given that most of the 2019 Ranger is the same as the ROTW Ranger that has been around for quite a while, and the engine/tranny both have been proven in other applications (engine in both the Focus and Mustang, Tranny in the F-150 and Mustang), I'm not worried about the long term reliability. My 2005 Ranger has done well for me, and I expect this one to be reliable as well.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
223A71F7-C0C7-4E73-84A1-96CC60A3AF45.png

Power seats confirmed
I can never understand why people complain so much about not having power seats. the only time I moved mine was the first day I bought my vehicle. no need to move them since.

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
I can never understand why people complain so much about not having power seats. the only time I moved mine was the first day I bought my vehicle. no need to move them since.
I know this may seem like a completely foreign concept....but sometimes 2 or more people drive the same vehicle **GASP**

JoshE

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I could care less about power seats in and of them self, but the Tacoma has a terrible low seating position, the video Toyota released shows the seat can be raised so this should address the problem and make the truck comfortable - a big selling point of the Ranger for myself and I believe a lot of people.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
When on looong road trips, I sometimes get back pains. It helps a lot to be able to make minor seat adjustments on the fly. Just one of those issues that until you experience them they’re not given much thought.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I know this may seem like a completely foreign concept....but sometimes 2 or more people drive the same vehicle **GASP**
That really could be construed as an argument against power seats. Manual seats change position instantly,
I find it aggravating to squeeze in behind the wheel then sit there for what seems an interminable amount of time while the seat s l o w l y moves back.
My wonderfully considerate wife often moves the seat back for me after she has driven our TC.
My Ranger will have manually operated seats and that is one reason I chose an STX.
Be glad that at least the seat backs are manual, since the fulcrum point is lower and they are FAR more comfortable in full recline.
I do see the merits of power seats though, especially for lumbar support or for minor adjustments while driving.
BTW I have driven my present Ranger 181000 miles, the other 500miles were driven by someone else.:LOL:

Last edited:

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
That really could be construed as an argument against power seats. Manual seats change position instantly,
I find it aggravating to squeeze in behind the wheel then sit there for what seems an interminable amount of time while the seat s l o w l y moves back.
My wonderfully considerate wife often moves the seat back for me after she has driven our TC.
My Ranger will have manually operated seats and that is one reason I chose an STX.
Be glad that at least the seat backs are manual, since the fulcrum point is lower and they are FAR more comfortable in full recline.
I do see the merits of power seats though, especially for lumbar support or for minor adjustments while driving.
BTW I have driven my present Ranger 181000 miles, the other 500miles were driven by someone else.:LOL:
If you'd ever driven one of the other Ford vehicles with massaging seats, you'd really love them. Nothing like having your back or butt massaged as you drive down the road!:like:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
According to Toyota, apparently Tacoma owners love the underpowered current engine & gear hunting transmission!

It seemed like a pretty weak "refresh" to me - the engineer from Toyota really played up the new LED headlights. That says a lot - the only interesting thing to me was the 360 Camera feature which sounded kind of neat. Otherwise, it seems like the same truck with a couple minor changes.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
While I love the Tacoma exterior styling the interior, ergonomics and the power train (including the rear drum brakes) is a major letdown.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
I'm real curious where Nissan goes with the Frontier. If they keep it the same size, update the interior to something closer to an Altima and use their new 2.0 turbo it could be a very useful and true midsize truck.

I'm extremely thankful the Ranger didn't end up as big as it could have been but the shorter length of the Frontier is appealing for a daily driver.
Sponsored