Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I got a chance to test drive a used 2017 Chevy Colorado 4x2 WT with the 2.5L 4-cylinder this weekend. It had manual side mirror adjustments in 2017!

Lots of awful hard plastic all over the interior. Switches and knobs looked cheap, felt cheap, and were counter-intuitive to use. Engine performance was as bad as my 2006 Ranger with the 3.0L V6.

Then I got a chance to sit in a used 2018 Colorado ZR2. You would think if you're spending $20k more that the interior would be nicer. Lots of hard plastic carried over from the base Work Truck trim. It had the same switches and dials as the WT, all felt cheap. I figured all that money went to improve the drive train and suspension, because a top of the line Colorado should feel luxurious. Maybe the GMC Denali is better.
Sponsored

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I got a chance to test drive a used 2017 Chevy Colorado 4x2 WT with the 2.5L 4-cylinder this weekend. It had manual side mirror adjustments in 2017!

Lots of awful hard plastic all over the interior. Switches and knobs looked cheap, felt cheap, and were counter-intuitive to use. Engine performance was as bad as my 2006 Ranger with the 3.0L V6.

Then I got a chance to sit in a used 2018 Colorado ZR2. You would think if you're spending $20k more that the interior would be nicer. Lots of hard plastic carried over from the base Work Truck trim. It had the same switches and dials as the WT, all felt cheap. I figured all that money went to improve the drive train and suspension, because a top of the line Colorado should feel luxurious. Maybe the GMC Denali is better.
I don't have a problem with the interior of my 2015 Colorado Z71 EXCEPT for the location of the 4WD switch. It is located on the lower dash, just to the left of the steering wheel. First, you can't see it without leaning over because the steering wheel is in the way; but Second - I was constantly hitting it with my knee getting in and out of the truck. I would look down and I was driving in 4H without knowing when I had bumped it into position and how far I'd driven in 4WD. And there is no indicator on the gauge display to tell you that you are in 4WD. Even paying attention as I got in and out, I still bumped it. The solution - I took a 3" long black cabinet door handle and screwed it to the dash so it bracketed the switch. I know others have had the same issue. No more problems, but something that GM should have caught and still hasn't fixed. I'm glad Ford has put the switch in a clear and easy to see location.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I don't have a problem with the interior of my 2015 Colorado Z71 EXCEPT for the location of the 4WD switch. It is located on the lower dash, just to the left of the steering wheel. First, you can't see it without leaning over because the steering wheel is in the way; but Second - I was constantly hitting it with my knee getting in and out of the truck. I would look down and I was driving in 4H without knowing when I had bumped it into position and how far I'd driven in 4WD. And there is no indicator on the gauge display to tell you that you are in 4WD. Even paying attention as I got in and out, I still bumped it. The solution - I took a 3" long black cabinet door handle and screwed it to the dash so it bracketed the switch. I know others have had the same issue. No more problems, but something that GM should have caught and still hasn't fixed. I'm glad Ford has put the switch in a clear and easy to see location.
Sounds like typical GM interior design. From a base $14k Chevy Spark to a $80k Denali, they just cannot figure out a logical interior layout.

LoneStarFlatLanders

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si - Sold my current car and waiting patiently on my new truck
Sounds like typical GM interior design. From a base $14k Chevy Spark to a $80k Denali, they just cannot figure out a logical interior layout.
Very true IMO. I haven't ever understood their designs.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Here is the solution to bumping the 4WD switch on my Colorado. A really odd location for such an important switch. Also notice the slot just above the switch. No one could figure out exactly what that was for unless possibly to hold a toll pass card, but no explanation for it in the manual. Hopefully, the Ranger won't have any oddly placed and/or unexplained features.

4wd selector.jpg

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I test drove a 2019 Silverado and that truck is even weirder with button placement. There is a sport/tow dial where the old brake controller was that is really odd by the left of the wheel and the buttons on the wheel have a really weird and cheap feeling roller/button combo. At least the steering wheel lines up with the drivers seat after all these years...

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Here is the solution to bumping the 4WD switch on my Colorado. A really odd location for such an important switch. Also notice the slot just above the switch. No one could figure out exactly what that was for unless possibly to hold a toll pass card, but no explanation for it in the manual. Hopefully, the Ranger won't have any oddly placed and/or unexplained features.

4wd selector.jpg
That slot is for a toll pass but also is the space used for integrated trailer brake controller used in 16 and newer.

I had a 15 Colorado Z71 2wd and I never liked the placement of the cruise light or turn signal indicator. Not to mention of reflection of the dash onto the back window which reflected to the rear view mirror. The door pockets are useless too. Mine was in the shop 3 times for a no cabin heat issue, resulting in the dash being removed 3 times. Then removed 2 more times because the a/c drain wasn't located correctly resulting in wet floor boards.

The power steering unit was replaced at 24k miles. The alternator gave me no warning it was about to go kaput, leaving me on the side of the road with 44k on the truck. As soon as I got it out of the shop, I sold it to the dealership.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I added that information to my spreadsheet yesterday morning. Thanks for the heads up though!
Were you going to update the first post to reflect the additional info or do you have the spreadsheet posted somewhere else? :D

OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Were you going to update the first post to reflect the additional info or do you have the spreadsheet posted somewhere else? :D
I updated it last time. I think I will do that again as well as post in-line to reflect the changes. Should be able to get that done today.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
With all trucks there is going to be some give and take and it will be up to the consumer to picks the truck that fits best based on lifestyle needs, reliability, capability, safety, price, and styling preference. The trick seems to be finding that balance. My needs/wants are a daily driver (so decent fuel economy, technology, and active safety features), weekend errand runner (mid-size because I am tired of parking current full-size Tundra around town on errands and miserable city economy), light off-road ranch/beach trails (deer/duck hunting), towing ( 3500 lb boat) cool enough for date night with wife and not to embarrass my 14 year old daughter (lol-Ridgeline), comfortable (enough room to put adult son and friends in the back seat for up to 3 to 4 hours to go fishing or hunting), cargo/payload (animal feed, dog box, fishing/hunting/skiing gear for weeklong vacations and hunting trips over 12 hours away).

As such, my takes in order of personal preference (tie to be resolved with official numbers and test drives). I am leaning towards the Gladiator because of the better back seat, standard technology, and standard V-6 (proven motor). I use a new Ford Fusion at work with the Ecoboost and have observed the motor to be fuel efficient, reliable, and powerful. However, the wastegate rattle is simply embarrassing and I worry about having to listen to it on the Ranger. With that said, I also think the Ranger will have better overall reliability (electronics/trim/brakes) other than the powertrain when compared to the Jeep based on Consumer Reports and the many forums I peruse.

1A) Jeep Gladiator (no official release so speculation based on wrangler and leaks) - Guessing rougher than average ride based off wrangler, some cab noise due to removable tops, average to excellent fuel economy, base V6, diesel option early 2020, no 6' bed option. Should excel off-road, good standard technology, outstanding standard active safety features, roomy rear seat with rear console A/C vents, fold-flat load deck and possible under-seat storage, and excellent tow and payload numbers.

1B) Ranger - Poor backseat configuration (no 60/40, flat floor, limited under-seat storage, no load-floor when seat fold down), good technology packages, however have to pay to get NAV/Apps, and no 6' bed option. Should do well on and off-road, should have above average fuel economy, good technology available, outstanding standard active safety features, excellent towing and payload.

3) Tacoma - Can have unrefined ride for some, harsh transmission shifts (software fix available), low payload, so-so fuel economy, and poor backseat room. Reliable, nice looking truck, excellent off-road, very good technology package, good horsepower, tons of standard active safety features, 6' bed option, and good towing.

4) Ridgeline - Lacks standard active safety features, soft looks, low ground clearance, pay for technology, low towing, narrow rear door opening (fix available), some reliability complaints regarding trim, rattles, and transmission overheating when off off-road/towing. Class leading ride, superior back seat comfort/configuration, storage room, excellent payload, good horsepower, and fuel economy.

5/6) GM Twins - Renal car like interior from the early 2000s, so-so reliability, and lacks standard active safety features. Okay rear seat comfort/storage/configuration, good ride/comfort, nice looks, excellent off-road packages available, 6' bed crew cab bed option, and diesel option.

7) Frontier - Dated, poor fuel economy, rough ride, dated interior/exterior, unrefined technology, lacks standard active safety features. Reliable and off-road capable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Updated Comparison

11-20.jpg

One thing I plan to address is the lack of a 6 foot bed on the crew cab. The other trucks have 6 foot bed options with crew cab and that is reflected in the wheelbase making the comparison slightly skewed. It could also slightly impact a few other stats.
Sponsored