Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Ford Ranger Screw cab Lariot FX4
In this video they say Ford recommends 87 octane. That's is not true. If you look at page 136 of the owners manual it says required minimum octane is 87. But if you continue reading on page 137 it says for best performance and fuel economy 91+ octane is recommended.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I read an early review that the Gladiator did very poorly on Ike Gauntlet test towing 7k and did marginal on flat tow with around 4K. Video will be out on tfltruck.com soon. So anyone with towing as a requirement should feel good about buying the Ranger.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
In general towing ability and off-road ability are inversely proportional. If you optimize for one, you make the other worse. I don't know why FCA decided to market the way they did, but I pity the fool who briefly tows 7600 pounds after lifting his gladiator to fit 37s.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't buy anything made by Chinese Motors ( formally know as General Motors)

Zeroranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Went looking at some new trucks today. First I drove a new 2019 Sierra 1500 elevation. Biggest pile of junk I have ever drove. Loud rattle on the passenger side , loud dash rattle off and on, consistent rattle from the driver b pillar area. And a pretty much consistent noise which sounded like a mouse from the engine bay. Only had 45km how gm can sell junk like this I have no idea.

So I decided to try to GMC Canyon. First the seats were the worst things I Have ever say in. Two boards would feel better, wife said the same. Quality of fit and finish, switch gear etc crap if you ask me. The thing had a consistently driver dash creak, and also a rattle from the same area , sad with only 20 km on it. To me again pile of junk.

I then went and drove a ranger xlt 302a fx4 loaded with every option.

Wow! The seats are amazing , the interior quality etc compared to the gmc was far better. It had way more options for the same price. Drove better, quieter, faster, better on gas. And just the overall truck was miles ahead of the gm. I will never in my life buy anything Chevy after the crap I drove today.

The ranger may be my next vehicle I’m thinking. Very impressed with it so far.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. If you are looking for the most capable and fun outdoors truck and don’t mind the safety/quality/comfort/handling issues the Jeep will be great. It probably won’t be much fun to drive TO the off-road trails if it’s a couple hours away but will be great when you get there. I don’t think the current Ranger is really gunning for that title. I think the Ranger is the best all-arounder. And also quite a good platform if you are going to modify it for off-roading to suit your terrain. The Colorado ZR2 or Z71 once they have the mid cycle refresh might be really good off-road stock trucks to consider too. Good on and off road. I think the comfort and drivetrain problems for the Tacoma but it at a disadvantage until they refresh.

Update: tfljust did an off-road compare
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/20...s-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-off-road-truck-guide/
Except that GM can't build a tranny. Same problems since 2015, and still cant fix. Now facing lawsuit. Spoke to a good friend that is a serive manager at a GM dealership. Says close to 30% of those sold are crap. And nothing he can do until GM figures out the problem.

My Jeep is not much better. Or I should say FIAT. Quality is on the downslide since then. I bought a new 2018 Jeep. Less than 15k miles on it and been in the shop 6 times for tranny and other issues. No fix for tranny yet.

I traded my 2013 F150 on the FIAT. Dumb move. Had over 120k on the f150 and not one issue.

Heading to Ford dealer tomorrow to order my Ranger. Trading this POS FIAT in.

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except that GM can't build a tranny. Same problems since 2015, and still cant fix. Now facing lawsuit. Spoke to a good friend that is a serive manager at a GM dealership. Says close to 30% of those sold are crap. And nothing he can do until GM figures out the problem.

My Jeep is not much better. Or I should say FIAT. Quality is on the downslide since then. I bought a new 2018 Jeep. Less than 15k miles on it and been in the shop 6 times for tranny and other issues. No fix for tranny yet.

I traded my 2013 F150 on the FIAT. Dumb move. Had over 120k on the f150 and not one issue.

Heading to Ford dealer tomorrow to order my Ranger. Trading this POS FIAT in.
The 10 speed automatic transmission in the Ranger is a joint venture between Ford and GM. It is used by both in there trucks and some of there cars.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
The 10 speed automatic transmission in the Ranger is a joint venture between Ford and GM. It is used by both in there trucks and some of there cars.
True, but the 10-speed joint development transmission is not the one in the Colorado/Canyon twins.

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, but the 10-speed joint development transmission is not the one in the Colorado/Canyon twins.
I know my comment was in response to Hounddog409 saying GM can't build a transmission.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I know my comment was in response to Hounddog409 saying GM can't build a transmission.
well, the fact that they jointly designed it doesn't mean GM can put the parts together. :) at any rate, the ford & GM products aren't identical.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
If they could, the current 8 speed wouldn't be a pile of crap.....and wouldn't need Fords help designing a new one.

And why are they not using it givin the current state of their problems?

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Be interesting to see if the next generation Tacoma (possibly 2021/22) will get a 2.4L turbo option. Also rumored the next gen Tundra will get the 3.5L twin turbo V6 from Lexus.

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
If they could, the current 8 speed wouldn't be a pile of crap.....and wouldn't need Fords help designing a new one.

And why are they not using it givin the current state of their problems?
The 6 speed tranny that came with the 2015 Colorado was/is flawless this has been a reliable and enjoyable truck for me 30k. Set a high bar for the 5th Gen Ranger. Somebody is getting a good vehicle once my Ranger is delivered. The wife's 2017 Duramax Canyon has had no issues and also uses a 6 speed 20k. No replacement anticipated for the Duramax Canyon; love the hell out of it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The 6 speed tranny that came with the 2015 Colorado was/is flawless this has been a reliable and enjoyable truck for me 30k. Set a high bar for the 5th Gen Ranger. Somebody is getting a good vehicle once my Ranger is delivered. The wife's 2017 Duramax Canyon has had no issues and also uses a 6 speed 20k. No replacement anticipated for the Duramax Canyon; love the hell out of it.
Just curious - if you liked your Colorado and Canyon so much, what made you want to trade for a Ranger? I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious.
Sponsored