Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
If I were going to buy a 10-year truck, The Tacoma is very much in the mix. I had a new 16 and it had it's share of issues which mostly have been solved, I would lean Toyota long term because I don't have confidence in any 4 cyl Turbo after the warranty.
I had two Rangers and 4 Tacomas. The Rangers were 6cyl as the V6 in the Toyota, Tried and true up to 200K+ miles. Long term IMO Turbos have not been out long enough to see how they fare. All that extra heat and oil cooling could have an effect on the EcoBoost
I am waiting for the 2020 Tacoma before I make a decision. $40K + is way too much for a decent option Ranger.

The XLT is not on the list due to the key start on the steering stalk bumping into my knee.

Like the F150, I see huge discounts on the Ranger after a year or two.

Tacoma has blind spot, adaptive cruise and lane change warnings on all their Tacomas in 2020. Push button start as well. The limited 2WD Tacoma is priced at $40K MSRP..I can get it for $2500 off list like I bought my last Tacoma.

The TRD Pro 4WD is listed at $42K It will be a challenge for Ford Raptor to beat Tacoma on price today. Features to features especially since Tacoma has PB Start and all the nanny stuff including ambient lighting and power bed locks and 3D parking on all their model's.

From what I see one has to buy the Lariat version to get all of what Tacoma has on their SR5 and TRD series. 4WD SR5 is around $34k with most of the Lariat feature set.
I too am interested in the 2020 Tacoma but keep in mind the TRD Pro with auto transmission is $45.5K. The 6 speed manual TRD Pro is $43.5k but practically a unicorn and hard to find in manual for some reason. It's also very difficult to get a Pro for less than MSRP. Most dealers in my area still have markups of $5~7k above MSRP and they will not budge. I really like the TRD Pro but we should have realistic expectations in terms of price for this model.
Sponsored

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Hope the width dimensions are wrong. My 2014 escape is 72.4 wide. The Truck at the auto show look wider then a escape setting behind it. Looked the width of a Edge that is 76". But that was just a few of us eyeballing it for measurements.
I measure one at the Chicago Auto Show - 72" from mirror edge to mirror edge. I have 8' garage doors and am getting power folding mirrors :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
There isn't a full size spare? I could have sworn I heard the Ranger had a full size spare? Did I mis hear that?
There is a full size spare, its just on a basic 'doughnut' rim. The best part of that video was, "The fastest setting for a Tacoma is... trade it in for a Ranger or a ZR2." I chuckled.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
My spare is on a aluminum rim of some kind, its hard to tell with it mounted upside down, but it appears to be the base 17" with the base hankook tire, while mine has option 18" with the hankook ATM .

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
My spare is on a aluminum rim of some kind, its hard to tell with it mounted upside down, but it appears to be the base 17" with the base hankook tire, while mine has option 18" with the hankook ATM .
Normal for spare to be a different size. I think mine is a 255/70/16. It's intended for temp use and they can save another buck.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Normal for spare to be a different size. I think mine is a 255/70/16. It's intended for temp use and they can Save's another buck.
Mine is a 265/65 /R17 on a XL black steel rim and I have 18s and I have a lariat with the chrome package.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
There is a full size spare, its just on a basic 'doughnut' rim. The best part of that video was, "The fastest setting for a Tacoma is... trade it in for a Ranger or a ZR2." I chuckled.
That would be funny if Ford actually had fast delivery of trucks to buyers:question::crackup:

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
What is weird is my trip meter says 21.x and my hand calculations are all within .5 of the number on the dash, so there must be some speed/load condition that the truck is mis-reading.
Sponsored