Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm real curious where Nissan goes with the Frontier. If they keep it the same size, update the interior to something closer to an Altima and use their new 2.0 turbo it could be a very useful and true midsize truck.

I'm extremely thankful the Ranger didn't end up as big as it could have been but the shorter length of the Frontier is appealing for a daily driver.
Look at the international Nissan Navara. It looks nice, but who knows about powertrain.
Sponsored

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a 2019 Canyon Denali today. I wanted to see what the most premium on-road trim of the twins was like. The Colorado is due for a refresh this year so I assume the Canyon will as well. It needs it. Here are a few quick thoughts:

The Good:
V6 was pretty good, felt plenty powerful, a little less torquey than the Ranger
Heated steering wheel
Ventilated / Heated seats
Price was less than a well equipped Lariat

The Bad:
No push-button start
No adaptive cruise
No AEB
No Blind Spot
Lane Keeping alert, but not assist
No front parking sensors
No sunroof
Visibility wasn't great
Head room
Stiff leather seats
Seats were only partially power
For being Bose the stereo wasn't impressive

This obviously isn't a full comparison, but just some things that stuck out to me. I left feeling surprised this truck has the Denali badge. It just felt like it was missing a lot of premium functionality for a 2019. It had a premium finish and materials quality, but the the actual underlying functionality wasn't competitive. Feels like it's definitely due for that mid-cycle refresh and it's hard to imagine them fixing all the things wrong with it until the next generation is put out.

Crismac

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT, 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Railroad Conductor
lol don't wash your car/truck it might catch on fire.

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned Chevys, Fords, Dodges & some assorted foreign vehicles and I always seem to come back to Ford.

Chevy vehicles always feel a little less thought out to me. Plus their interiors and switchgear are laughable at best. I hate to use a cliche auto journalist term, but "Playskool" is very appropriate. The steering always seems looser which I really do not like.

It also may sound a bit nitpicky, but I cannot stand the squircle wheel wells on the Colorado and fullsizers.

Admittedly, I owned two of the last gen S-10's (97 and a 2001) they made (bought new) which I really enjoyed. But everything past that I have not liked at all. I've also owned 2 box-body F-150's (1992 and 1994) and 2 Rangers (1992 and now a 2019).

My brother has a new Ram 1500, which is pretty nice.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The two videos I've seen now where they knocked the Ranger on the off road sectons - in both they took a VERY different line with the different trucks. And it seems like they took the worst line with the Ranger and then complained how it behaved. If you are going to compare trucks that way, you should take the same line with all vehicles to see how they behave.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
The two videos I've seen now where they knocked the Ranger on the off road sectons - in both they took a VERY different line with the different trucks. And it seems like they took the worst line with the Ranger and then complained how it behaved. If you are going to compare trucks that way, you should take the same line with all vehicles to see how they behave.
what everyone can agree on is that the Tacoma's seating position just plain sucks. the more I drive mine the more I can't stand it. if you don't feel comfortable in a truck you won't enjoy driving it

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I agree to an extent. The Edmunds tester didn't even give the traction control a chance to work, clearly not having a clue. It is clear from at least 2 test I've seen that the Ranger has poor articulation. IDK if it's the parabolic spring set up or what. Also the driving dynamics/ ride is quickly becoming a sticking point on Ranger comparisons. I watched the Edmunds review, I am most disappointed in the Rangers rear seat. There was zero effort put into making it functional for anything other than sitting on. Compared to the Tacoma that has the ability to be utilized a few different ways. Also the Tacoma bed with it's composite, tie downs, storage compartment and power outlet. I am most disappointed that Ford priced this thing like it's new most thought out truck to ever hit the market. They chopped this bad to get it to market. I will either be keeping my F-150 or looking at a Tacoma or a very favorable deal on a Fontier, which I think the Ranger closer competes with. The difference being the Frontier Pro-4X Crew can be found for around $32k and it has a proven near bullet proof reliability record for the last several years. I would have to see a 4x4 XLT Ranger Sport w/diff lock option going for $33-$34k to buy the Ford. I wanted so bad for the Ranger to be more than it is........

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My favorite Youtube vehicle reviewer.
Alex on Autos

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
If I were going to buy a 10-year truck, The Tacoma is very much in the mix. I had a new 16 and it had it's share of issues which mostly have been solved, I would lean Toyota long term because I don't have confidence in any 4 cyl Turbo after the warranty.
I had two Rangers and 4 Tacomas. The Rangers were 6cyl as the V6 in the Toyota, Tried and true up to 200K+ miles. Long term IMO Turbos have not been out long enough to see how they fare. All that extra heat and oil cooling could have an effect on the EcoBoost
I am waiting for the 2020 Tacoma before I make a decision. $40K + is way too much for a decent option Ranger.

The XLT is not on the list due to the key start on the steering stalk bumping into my knee.

Like the F150, I see huge discounts on the Ranger after a year or two.

Tacoma has blind spot, adaptive cruise and lane change warnings on all their Tacomas in 2020. Push button start as well. The limited 2WD Tacoma is priced at $40K MSRP..I can get it for $2500 off list like I bought my last Tacoma.

The TRD Pro 4WD is listed at $42K It will be a challenge for Ford Raptor to beat Tacoma on price today. Features to features especially since Tacoma has PB Start and all the nanny stuff including ambient lighting and power bed locks and 3D parking on all their model's.

From what I see one has to buy the Lariat version to get all of what Tacoma has on their SR5 and TRD series. 4WD SR5 is around $34k with most of the Lariat feature set.
I waited for the 2020 Tacoma announcement to check out their changes
If I were going to buy a 10-year truck, The Tacoma is very much in the mix. I had a new 16 and it had it's share of issues which mostly have been solved, I would lean Toyota long term because I don't have confidence in any 4 cyl Turbo after the warranty.
I had two Rangers and 4 Tacomas. The Rangers were 6cyl as the V6 in the Toyota, Tried and true up to 200K+ miles. Long term IMO Turbos have not been out long enough to see how they fare. All that extra heat and oil cooling could have an effect on the EcoBoost
I am waiting for the 2020 Tacoma before I make a decision. $40K + is way too much for a decent option Ranger.

The XLT is not on the list due to the key start on the steering stalk bumping into my knee.

Like the F150, I see huge discounts on the Ranger after a year or two.

Tacoma has blind spot, adaptive cruise and lane change warnings on all their Tacomas in 2020. Push button start as well. The limited 2WD Tacoma is priced at $40K MSRP..I can get it for $2500 off list like I bought my last Tacoma.

The TRD Pro 4WD is listed at $42K It will be a challenge for Ford Raptor to beat Tacoma on price today. Features to features especially since Tacoma has PB Start and all the nanny stuff including ambient lighting and power bed locks and 3D parking on all their model's.

From what I see one has to buy the Lariat version to get all of what Tacoma has on their SR5 and TRD series. 4WD SR5 is around $34k with most of the Lariat feature set.
I waited until they announced the 2020 Tacoma before deciding to go the Ranger route. I currently drive a 2006 Tacoma and had a 2003 before that. I primarily wanted Toyota to fix two things. The seats and the engine/transmission combo. They addressed the seats but not the engine/transmission and that’s a deal breaker for me. It is just too slow compared to the competition and for me that makes it unenjoyable to drive. The Lariat is pretax about $38,700 with 501A and xplan. I’ll add the hitch aftermarket and be done under $40k. Im sure you could configure a Tacoma for less but for me the Ranger was just more enjoyable to drive regardless of how the exact features match up.
Sponsored