OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The ol' Ranger might be getting a proper home in the next few months.

Looking to get an 18x26x9 enclosed garage with a 10x8 cut out on the front to eventually install a roll up door (cost savings right now). About everywhere I look is averaging $5,000 with delivery included. Will be installed on a rock crush run pad that is framed by landscaping blocks. Again a cost measure thing, concrete would double the cost and I got a surplus of stone to frame the pad out. I would go with 8 foot legs, but I think 9 foot legs are the minimum requirement to install an 8 foot tall cut out. Ill have to double check.

My current garagezebo is 12x30 so I'm loosing 4 feet on the rear but gaining a little less than 6 feet on each side. I may make the cut out on the front offset just enough to easier passenger door entry, but give me more usable space on the opposite side.

Anyone running a metal building for vehicle storage?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Looking to get an 18x26x9 enclosed garage with a 10x8 cut out on the front to eventually install a roll up door (cost savings right now). About everywhere I look is averaging $5,000 with delivery included. Will be installed on a rock crush run pad that is framed by landscaping blocks. Again a cost measure thing, concrete would double the cost and I got a surplus of stone to frame the pad out. I would go with 8 foot legs, but I think 9 foot legs are the minimum requirement to install an 8 foot tall cut out. Ill have to double check.

My current garagezebo is 12x30 so I'm loosing 4 feet on the rear but gaining a little less than 6 feet on each side. I may make the cut out on the front offset just enough to easier passenger door entry, but give me more usable space on the opposite side.

Hi Jack,

A Back story....Our house builder would build RV garages. So his first build was a 40 ft long RV garage with a 12.5 ft door. House completed...the owner pulled his RV into the garage....Could not open the RV door at the right front..... Had to back out and take it back to the storage lot..So the builder and the owner had a discussion and the only Mod was to cut a door to the outside of the Garage that aligned with the RV... So he had to pull in after opening the outside door then parking and exiting the RV, shutting the RV Door and then the "outside" door. Sheesh!

My RV garage is 60 ft long and inside is 15" wide... My Alfa fits great in this garage with the back my shop...

So my recommendation is to go as wide as you can...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Bluestone Carports & Buildings in Georgia.
24'wĂ—25'lx6'8"(with gables, without 9'8"). Can get any configuration you need. We paid $3000 for carport & $2000 for pad(friend of husband's). Built it for Ranger prior to delivery. We love it, but wish we had gone a little longer. You can completely close it in if you need to- this is just how we needed it. Originally, we did not have the gables on the ends, but rain would blow in bad.so we added them shortly after installation.
The guys putting it up were great. We had great service from this company. Rated for 130mph winds. ?‍♀ That's what they say.
20210509_150144.jpg
20210509_150128.jpg
20210509_150028.jpg
20210509_150005.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

One thing to keep in mind is the metal roof, in an enclosed building, can end up with condensation that will drip onto whatever is in the building. Mostly a concern in humid environments. An eye opener the first time it happens.
  • If you don't care... great.
  • If you do care you can insulate under the roof.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to keep in mind is the metal roof, in an enclosed building, can end up with condensation that will drip onto whatever is in the building. Mostly a concern in humid environments. An eye opener the first time it happens.
  • If you don't care... great.
  • If you do care you can insulate under the roof.
Over time I will be putting in insulation. One of the first after purchase add-ons will also be a gable area fan cause I am not getting swamp butt in my building during Georgia summers.

Prior to install I am going to purchase some chain hung LED shop lights and get some heavy duty hook magnets to put on the ceiling to suspend them. Going to have to start out power supply by heavy duty extension cord till I can price and piggy back juice off the house system. I may add some solar for low power items like the lights. I got all kinds of plans, more than I can think of at the moment.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
24'wĂ—25'lx6'8"(with gables, without 9'8"). Can get any configuration you need. We paid $3000 for carport & $2000 for pad(friend of husband's). Built it for Ranger prior to delivery. We love it, but wish we had gone a little longer. You can completely close it in if you need to- this is just how we needed it. Originally, we did not have the gables on the ends, but rain would blow in bad.so we added them shortly after installation.
The guys putting it up were great. We had great service from this company. Rated for 130mph winds. ?‍♀ That's what they say.
I am doing larger fabrication I will pull the truck out, for small fabrication I just need a little bit of leg room on the rear and sides. Ranger is roughly 17' long so with 26' length I have plenty of room for a 2' deep wall work bench and room to move around without moving anything. Ranger is also 7' wide (I think that is with side mirrors non-folded) so going from my current 12' wide space to 18' will give (to me atleast) a ton more room on side for storage and still be able to open doors. As I mentioned before I have not decided if I am going to make the 10x8 roll up door cut out offset yet or put in right in middle. But also the extra room on the sides gets me even more space on the last 9' the truck won't occupy anyway.

(door is not shown in proper dimension). This is $4,475 + tax delivered. A 20'x28' (2") crush run pad should only run me a couple hundred.

5b316a0a4ae03b198f6491e47d025372.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Over time I will be putting in insulation. One of the first after purchase add-ons will also be a gable area fan cause I am not getting swamp butt in my building during Georgia summers.

Prior to install I am going to purchase some chain hung LED shop lights and get some heavy duty hook magnets to put on the ceiling to suspend them. Going to have to start out power supply by heavy duty extension cord till I can price and piggy back juice off the house system. I may add some solar for low power items like the lights. I got all kinds of plans, more than I can think of at the moment.
Might be wise to talk to the folks you're getting the building from and ask them about insulation just for the roof as part of the package. That way you won't have water on your shop lights and fan. Plus it will help a great deal in keeping the building from being an oven during the day.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I am doing larger fabrication I will pull the truck out, for small fabrication I just need a little bit of leg room on the rear and sides. Ranger is roughly 17' long so with 26' length I have plenty of room for a 2' deep wall work bench and room to move around without moving anything. Ranger is also 7' wide (I think that is with side mirrors non-folded) so going from my current 12' wide space to 18' will give (to me atleast) a ton more room on side for storage and still be able to open doors. As I mentioned before I have not decided if I am going to make the 10x8 roll up door cut out offset yet or put in right in middle. But also the extra room on the sides gets me even more space on the last 9' the truck won't occupy anyway.

(door is not shown in proper dimension). This is $4,475 + tax delivered. A 20'x28' (2") crush run pad should only run me a couple hundred.

5b316a0a4ae03b198f6491e47d025372.jpg
That looks very nice!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
20210509_150144.jpg
20210509_150128.jpg
20210509_150028.jpg
20210509_150005.jpg
Hi Tracy,

Husband park Butterscotch? Nice and straight.... :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
not sure of your property size, or budget, but i have seen these around and over time, you can build at the speed of your budget. make bigger, enclose one end, then both ends...you can appreciate how you can move it along one step at a time until you're fully enclosed.
this company in general has alot of nice products and options.

https://www.torosteelbuildings.com/steel-building-types/container-covers/
As awesome and hilarious as it would be to see the letters I get in the mail, I don't think I can win that battle with the HOA this time.

0.25 acre lot in a cookie cutter suburban neightborhood, I think my backyard portion isroughly 75x75 or round about. Maybe 75x100.

We would straight up move and upgrade but the county I will make my final life move to has terrible school system so we holding out 4 more years minimum.

Last edited:

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
Dang. Thought this was about garage audio!!
;)
Sponsored