Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat (El Trucke)
Occupation
IT Guy and Former International Athlete
I'm a dumb ass...

I grabbed a 15 bag of ice from the little kiosk last night, was talking on the phone with the Mom and absentmindedly forgot about it until this morning. I have a SCREW, w leather seats. My driveway is angled and most of the water ended up in the passenger side back corner. Also water in the seats. There was water dripping into the ground, I popped off some trim pieces around the door and the water came out in s steady stream for about a minute. I vacuumed up as much as i could. It was collecting in that wiring channel.

I have the rear seats in the upright position. Parked the truck in full sun w the windows down 3", will leave it there all day. High of 95 today, hope that cooks all the moisture out. Also can borrow a dehumidifier from my neighbor and let that run overnight.

I had another car get mildew after a leak and def dont want that, the truck only has 3K miles! Anything else I can do?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Foodieguy

Foodieguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I need some absolution! I feel bad for such a dumb thing to do. Wouldn't hurt to drive out to the deer lease this weekend, maybe I should put up some of my game cameras.

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I am sorry to hear that. I had a 98 Saturn SL2 years ago that I parked on the street in front of our house. Unbeknownst to me, we had a flash flood on a Friday night when my wife and I were not home due to a nearby storm drain getting clogged with leaves and branches. I did not discover that the water had gotten up to mid-door until I got in the car Monday morning to drive to work and heard the remaining water sloshing around in the floorboards.

Clearly a lot more water than you dealt with, but I removed the seats and the carpet immediately and vacuumed up all the water. I vacuumed as much of the water out of the seats, carpet and padding on the driveway, and I left them there to dry. This worked well enough that I could have reused them, although I ended up filing an insurance claim and replaced the carpet.

My suggestion is similar to what everyone else is saying, but I would probably go further and dismantle everything that got wet as much as possible to give each item the best chance to dry quickly before it develops mold.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
you will be fine. especially in TX, a few days in the hot sun and you will never know it happened. Many years ago one of my drunk buddies backed his pickup into the colorado river at the boat ramp. yup, he was THAT GUY.. anyway, we took out the seats, set them in the sun for a week while he drove around in a folding lawn chair with the windows open..
surprisingly that stupid truck was no worse for it. of course this was the days before all the electronics. but point is, it's plain water. it will evaporate quickly

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I wouldn't worry about it Jeff you caught it quickly. When Annie hurt her knee on vacation she had an ice bag on it all the time while in the truck. This went on for 3 weeks and it would drip constantly and while I knew it was doing this I thought it was going on the rubber floor mat. Nope it was going off to the side onto the carpet between the mat and the center console.

I took the mat out soaked up as much as I could with a few towels and left the window open over night. It was pretty much dry by the next day and there's no smell now. Like others have said a fan would help a lot and you could even spray some Febreze in there to help deodorize it some.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I am sure that my suggestion is overkill, but bear in mind that relative humidity matters. While it is super hot in all of Texas today, it looks like it is still pretty humid in Austin (the dew point is 71 which puts it in the "oppressive" category.)

Airflow will definitely help. Good luck!

OP
OP
Foodieguy

Foodieguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am sure that my suggestion is overkill, but bear in mind that relative humidity matters. While it is super hot in all of Texas today, it looks like it is still pretty humid in Austin (the dew point is 71 which puts it in the "oppressive" category.)

Airflow will definitely help. Good luck!
NTXTremor FTW with science! Thx!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase