Maxxis tires?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
When it is time to upgrade tires, I may change out to 17" wheels and go with a wider 17" tire with similar height to my stock 265/60/18 tires so that I can preserve my gear ratio. I found some 275/65/17 tires that would be slightly taller at 31.1 inches (vs approx 30.5" for the stock tires) and not too heavy. They are Maxxis 275/65/17 AT-771 tires. They look good but I do not know anyone who has tried them. Anyone tried these?

Maxxis 275/65R17 115T OWL AT-771
Sponsored

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
They are passenger car and not light truck, like your FX4 is. This means they will not have the same load handing ability as your stock tire. Maybe this is okay if you don't tow or max-out the payload.

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
Same load rating as my stock hankooks..
Cant say I've seen any ranger come stock with LT tires

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I don't know a lot about Maxxis vehicle tires, but if they're as good as their MTB or Dirtbike tires then they should be great. I default to Maxxis for 2 of my dirtbikes, and my MTB.

Reactions: EJH

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Not planning on off-roading other than an occasional grassy field or gravel road and I only tow a small utility trailer, so I am looking for something that looks good, behaves on and off road, and will not break the bank. I have to drive a decent amount of highway miles a day, so I honestly do not need anything that specialized, but of course it is nice to have. I will probably go with Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my stock wheels, which of course are more specialized but also not heavy as hell, but it is nice to what-if other options.

Thanks for the input.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I think the tires would be fine. Just the stock tires are LT C rated (equivalent to 6-ply sidewall) and the Maxxis is not LT and has 4-ply sidewall. This is why your getting a tire with wider tread and greater overall surface area, but the weight is not increasing.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I think the tires would be fine. Just the stock tires are LT C rated (equivalent to 6-ply sidewall) and the Maxxis is not LT and has 4-ply sidewall. This is why your getting a tire with wider tread and greater overall surface area, but the weight is not increasing.
Yea, I knew that going in, but I figured they would serve my needs if I want to go wider and have more sidewall with a 17" wheel. Just trying to see if they were any good overall as a brand, etc. I do appreciate your comments and feedback.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I still have the stock 265/65R17 Hankook tires on my Ranger. I will be moving up to a 265/70R17 in the future. I checked out the same Hankook tire in that size and they are SL with a 4-ply sidewall, which I thought I might be happy with because of the lighter weight and more compliant ride, but I learned that only the LT version of this tire is 3-peak snow rated. After my Hankook's great performance in the snow last month, I really want to stick with a tire that has the 3-peak snow rating. I couldn't find this information about the Maxxis. I think they are M+S and not 3-peak. Right now KO2s are at the top of my list.

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
These are my stock Hankooks.
0EE7F0A6-C827-4280-BBF4-626B892837A8.jpeg
Interesting my 265/60r18 Hankook Dynapro ATM are no lt..
They have a load range of 110T..

The maxxis 115t would be higher rating..

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I don't understand it 100% but sidewall rating, the letters, indicate the number of sidewall plys in the the tire (or an equivalent). The load index number is a numerical rating based on its load carrying capability at the fully rated pressure. So I guess that my tire's C rating is when inflated to mfg specs and the load index of 109T is the rating when inflated to 50 psi.
Sponsored