Maintenance Service Plan - Pros and Cons

Andy Yerkes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Getting a new Ranger sometime next week. As I close the deal (ordered and its on the way), I'm interested in finding out if buying the Maintenance Service Plan is worthwhile. If you bought it - why? If you didn't buy it - why not?
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
We kind of discussed it here: Is a DIY (Do It Yourself) oil/filter change worth it ?

In a high cost of living area, pre-paying for your maintenance is cheaper than paying out of pocket. I like the idea of pre-paying ahead of time, and plan to buy a maintenance plan soon.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I used Ford points to pre-purchase the maintenance plan when I bought the truck. One less thing to worry about.

OP
OP

Andy Yerkes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Reading the other thread. It looks like the biggest concern is quality. For guys who have turned wrenches on their own vehicles more than once, getting an MSP doesn't make a lot of sense. If there are not many competitive dealerships around your area (SF) then getting an MSP makes more sense.
Looking forward to more responses.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Looking at the maintenance schedule though, it looks to be very very basic. Just typical consumables for tens of thousands of miles.

If you have any sort of wrenching experience and able to DIY changing the consumables, it's very easy to do at home.

Tyler

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
If you plan on taking your vehicle to Ford for every service, it may be a better deal than purchasing each individual oil change. However basic service is pretty simple to do on these trucks yourself. You can probably also go to a jiffy lube or another oil change place for cheaper than ford.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
It is like buying insurance. The thing is some ins. pays off and some dont.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I used to do all my own servicing but time and age has caught up with me and crawling under a vehicle in the driveway or garage just isn't my thing anymore, to say nothing about what a PITA it is to dispose of used oil any more.
Now for a little back story here. The Wife bought a 1996 Mustang GT brand new, I was along for "moral support" and when offered the service plan she took it (over my objections). I did my own servicing on my vehicle and I was tasked with taking hers to be serviced because... she said so!
Well when it came time for me to purchase my next vehicle, I bought the service plan, not because I was no longer capable (yet) but because it made sense in that it didn't take me any longer to get the job done (remember to factor in prep and clean-up) but because I got to look at new cars and trucks every couple of months and all maintenance was recorded by the dealer for warranty purposes...

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
We've bought MSP's on previous vehicles (3 Subaru) and it was nice because it does discount the first few oil changes and up to the 30K mile maintenance. But with the Ranger, the dealer has oil changes for life...no need to purchase MSP this time around.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I used to do all my own servicing but time and age has caught up with me and crawling under a vehicle in the driveway or garage just isn't my thing anymore, to say nothing about what a PITA it is to dispose of used oil any more.
Now for a little back story here. The Wife bought a 1996 Mustang GT brand new, I was along for "moral support" and when offered the service plan she took it (over my objections). I did my own servicing on my vehicle and I was tasked with taking hers to be serviced because... she said so!
Well when it came time for me to purchase my next vehicle, I bought the service plan, not because I was no longer capable (yet) but because it made sense in that it didn't take me any longer to get the job done (remember to factor in prep and clean-up) but because I got to look at new cars and trucks every couple of months and all maintenance was recorded by the dealer for warranty purposes...
Same here...could do it myself but it's nice to have solid maintenance documentation...not only for warranty but in some cases for trade-in. I know my local Subaru dealer will only take vehicles as Certified Pre-Owned if they have good paperwork.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Never paid anyone to do an oil change and I know it is done right when I do it. Kinda like bonding with my vehicle and get to get a close up of engine to see if anything else is needing attention/leaking. BUT, 3 year maintenance was included in the price which I agreed to is ultimately is a good thing since it includes 11 oil changes, tire rotations and Wiper replacements At NO additional cost to me. I turn everything down in F&I. No love there. So technically I was not given a choice so much as it was described to me as a gift when I brought up getting $398 returned to me vice taking the 36 month maint agreement. They just back out $398 in line item accounting to credit it over to service versus sales computation.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a 8 year/100,000 mile Ford Maintenance Plan for $1,435 from Flood Ford. That includes a service every 10,000 miles.

Yes every oil change + tire rotation is $143.50, but my local Ford dealer charges $149.95 + 9% tax for the same service, and I get the more expensive 20K, 30K and 100K service all at the same fixed cost.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/premium_maintenance.php

Flood Ford.png

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Dang, y'all are making me wish I would have bought that....

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I do like my 3 year 6 oil change plan I paid 299.00 for but the drawback is I drive low miles and no matter what miles I drive I have to use them 2 times a year no matter if I drive 3000, 6000, or 10000 or I lose the money I paid for them under the use them or lose them scenario. My dealership does reward me toward my ford pass rewards as earned rewards, however the 429 points I earned with my first oil change even though the credit has appeared on my phone as service points earned the ford pass rewards has not reflected that amount as credited towards my balance and that oil change was done on the 15th of Feb. 2020. I have had two other thing done and they were reflected in my balance right away or within 2 weeks . Just waiting, I am sure Ford is vey busy and the earned points has been lost somewhere even though poor phone app shows the amount earned.
Enjoy your Ranger, mine is very nice, it is the 2nd new Ford I have owned since 1969.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Since 1976, my immediate family has not once had their vehicles serviced and repaired (out of warranty) by anyone else but yours truly.
Of course this does not include wheel alignment, tire purchases, recalls and major bodywork.
Ninety percent of these vehicles have been Ford products, with a Mercedes and and 3 Toyotas thrown in.
As long as I can use a floor jack, jack stands and a creeper, all servicing on my 2020 Lariat will be done by myself
Sponsored