Maintenance Service Plan - Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Ordering, Pricing, Leasing, Negotiating' started by Andy Yerkes, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Andy Yerkes

Andy Yerkes Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle(s):
    Ford Ranger
    Getting a new Ranger sometime next week. As I close the deal (ordered and its on the way), I'm interested in finding out if buying the Maintenance Service Plan is worthwhile. If you bought it - why? If you didn't buy it - why not?

2. rangerdanger

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
    Garage Profiles:
    We kind of discussed it here: Is a DIY (Do It Yourself) oil/filter change worth it ?

In a high cost of living area, pre-paying for your maintenance is cheaper than paying out of pocket. I like the idea of pre-paying ahead of time, and plan to buy a maintenance plan soon.

CoastieN70 likes this.
  3. DBaz

DBaz Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
    I used Ford points to pre-purchase the maintenance plan when I bought the truck. One less thing to worry about.

4. OP
    OP
    Andy Yerkes

Andy Yerkes Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle(s):
    Ford Ranger
    Reading the other thread. It looks like the biggest concern is quality. For guys who have turned wrenches on their own vehicles more than once, getting an MSP doesn't make a lot of sense. If there are not many competitive dealerships around your area (SF) then getting an MSP makes more sense.
    Looking forward to more responses.

5. doug910

doug910 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 Ranger, '86 FC RX-7
    Automotive Engineer
    Looking at the maintenance schedule though, it looks to be very very basic. Just typical consumables for tens of thousands of miles.

If you have any sort of wrenching experience and able to DIY changing the consumables, it's very easy to do at home.

6. Tyler

Tyler Member

First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger
    If you plan on taking your vehicle to Ford for every service, it may be a better deal than purchasing each individual oil change. However basic service is pretty simple to do on these trucks yourself. You can probably also go to a jiffy lube or another oil change place for cheaper than ford.

7. THLONE

THLONE Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Thom
    Vehicle(s):
    68 Chev C-20, 1996Ford Powerstroke, 2019 Ford Ranger
    Garage Profiles:
    It is like buying insurance. The thing is some ins. pays off and some dont.

8. CoastieN70

CoastieN70 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariet
    Retired
    I used to do all my own servicing but time and age has caught up with me and crawling under a vehicle in the driveway or garage just isn't my thing anymore, to say nothing about what a PITA it is to dispose of used oil any more.
    Now for a little back story here. The Wife bought a 1996 Mustang GT brand new, I was along for "moral support" and when offered the service plan she took it (over my objections). I did my own servicing on my vehicle and I was tasked with taking hers to be serviced because... she said so!
    Well when it came time for me to purchase my next vehicle, I bought the service plan, not because I was no longer capable (yet) but because it made sense in that it didn't take me any longer to get the job done (remember to factor in prep and clean-up) but because I got to look at new cars and trucks every couple of months and all maintenance was recorded by the dealer for warranty purposes...

BDoc likes this.
  9. BDoc

BDoc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
    US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
    Garage Profiles:
    We've bought MSP's on previous vehicles (3 Subaru) and it was nice because it does discount the first few oil changes and up to the 30K mile maintenance. But with the Ranger, the dealer has oil changes for life...no need to purchase MSP this time around.

CoastieN70 likes this.
  10. DBaz

DBaz Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
    Same here...could do it myself but it's nice to have solid maintenance documentation...not only for warranty but in some cases for trade-in. I know my local Subaru dealer will only take vehicles as Certified Pre-Owned if they have good paperwork.

Tracy Bowman and CoastieN70 like this.
  11. SemperVee

SemperVee Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dar
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT Sport
    Garage Profiles:
    Never paid anyone to do an oil change and I know it is done right when I do it. Kinda like bonding with my vehicle and get to get a close up of engine to see if anything else is needing attention/leaking. BUT, 3 year maintenance was included in the price which I agreed to is ultimately is a good thing since it includes 11 oil changes, tire rotations and Wiper replacements At NO additional cost to me. I turn everything down in F&I. No love there. So technically I was not given a choice so much as it was described to me as a gift when I brought up getting $398 returned to me vice taking the 36 month maint agreement. They just back out $398 in line item accounting to credit it over to service versus sales computation.

Andy Yerkes likes this.
  12. rangerdanger

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
    Garage Profiles:
    I just bought a 8 year/100,000 mile Ford Maintenance Plan for $1,435 from Flood Ford. That includes a service every 10,000 miles.

Yes every oil change + tire rotation is $143.50, but my local Ford dealer charges $149.95 + 9% tax for the same service, and I get the more expensive 20K, 30K and 100K service all at the same fixed cost.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/premium_maintenance.php

Flood Ford.png